Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Lower ball joints bad, replace with stock control arms, GT500, or X5 + Bumpsteer kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 07:52 PM
sicride
2nd Gear Member

Default Lower ball joints bad, replace with stock control arms, GT500, or X5 + Bumpsteer kit?

Unfortunately, lower ball joint failure is common on the S197. I noticed significant side to side movement from my lower ball joints recently and will be replacing them very soon. However, I cannot decide which ball joints I'd like to replace them with. Hopefully I can get some advice from the experienced members here.

Background info: I currently have the FRPP Suspension pack (M-FR3-MGTA), which I believe allows me to maintain H-Stock class in regional SCCA auto-x. I will be soon upgrading to 18" deep dish Bullitt wheels. I would like to maintain H-Stock class if possible. I have noticed when driving this vehicle that initial turn in response is excellent however there is a significant transitional delay between initial turn in response and actual front grip developing.

Stock control arms - Est. cost $500 for the pair. Pros: H-Stock for sure, no fear of bumpsteer changes. Cons: stock control arm, most expensive choice, premature failure.

GT500 control arms - Cost $250 for the pair. Pros: May be able to stay H-Stock??? Less likely to have premature failure. Anything else? Cons: may not stay H-Stock? Does this effect bump steer?

Steeda X5 + Bump steer kit - Est. cost $320. Pros: Improved turn in response, probably best reliability. Bragging rights. Cons: Cannot go back to 17" wheels should I decide to drive in winter or use 17" wheels to autocross. This does take me out of H-Stock to Street Modified class right?

Am I missing anything? Do the GT500 control arms do anything to improve handling? Do they take me out of H-Stock class? Do they effect bump steer? Will they last longer? Does Steeda X5 ball joints bump me to SM class? Is it a noticeable difference in handling? Should I care? I only autocross maybe 3 times a year. I do it for fun, but would like to be able to compare myself to others at some point.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:48 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

I am no expert on this subject but I was in a similar situation last year so here's what I have to say:

I just looked up that suspension pack and it looks like it includes several things that are not allowed in Stock classes, namely the lowering springs, rear sway bar, and strut tower brace.

I had to do ball joints last year and I went with the GT500 arms. Note that the GT500 arms are now the specified part for GTs as well. Due to this (and the fact that there shouldn't be much of any performance gain from them) I don't think you'd have a problem running them in regional stock classes. At a national level this might be more of an issue.

I do think that the Steeda kit would put you out of Stock; not sure if it would bump you all the way up to Street Modified though.

As far as I can tell, the only difference with the GT500 arms is that the ball joint is stronger, which should mean longer life. Personally I would go with the GT500 arms but since the suspension bits already bump you out of stock it may make sense to just go with the Steeda stuff. I'm not sure how much of a noticeable change the bumpsteer correction will make.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:06 PM
azrampage
1st Gear Member

Hello.

1st, if it's SCCA you are in G Stock (6) or F Stock (8).

FRPP parts and most of your other mentioned changes all take you out of SCCA Stock classing.

I believe I read that the X5 ball joints require 18" wheels minimum ....always. Those too would take you from any Stock class.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by sicride
Background info: I currently have the FRPP Suspension pack (M-FR3-MGTA), which I believe allows me to maintain H-Stock class in regional SCCA auto-x. I will be soon upgrading to 18" deep dish Bullitt wheels. I would like to maintain H-Stock class if possible.

GT500 control arms

Steeda X5 + Bump steer kit - Est. cost $320. Pros: Improved turn in response, probably best reliability. Bragging rights. Cons: Cannot go back to 17" wheels should I decide to drive in winter or use 17" wheels to autocross. This does take me out of H-Stock to Street Modified class right?

Am I missing anything?
Old 02-28-2011, 11:03 PM
sicride
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by azrampage
Hello.

1st, if it's SCCA you are in G Stock (6) or F Stock (8).

FRPP parts and most of your other mentioned changes all take you out of SCCA Stock classing.

I believe I read that the X5 ball joints require 18" wheels minimum ....always. Those too would take you from any Stock class.

Hope this helps.
Actually that handling pack should not change your class according to this press release http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/13/f...mpete-in-scca/

18" wheels shouldn't either since they came optional from the factory. However I do realize that my wheel offset with the deep dish wheels will technically take me out of class. If I had the X5 ball joints 18" wheels are feasable.

You are right it's F-stock classification. I apologize for that error. I believe X5 ball joints change class based on ST class definition stating suspension modifications "does not allow the use of spacers that alter suspension geometry, such as those between the hub carrier and lower suspension arm."

Also F-stock rules state, "Alternate components which are normally expendable and considered replacement parts...may be used provided they are essentially identical to the standard parts (e.g. have the same type, size, hardness, weight, material etc.),
are used in the same location, and provide no performance benefit." So, I believe X5 ball joints do change class. Even through ST classes.

With these SCCA rules clarified, does this effect advice of which I should use? I do believe GT500 control arms would allow me to be stock classification since they are now the Ford replacement parts for GT's.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:54 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

That press release appears to relate to SCCA Club racing, not Solo (autocross). T2 is not an autocross class.

The Stock class rules do permit switching between option packages on a car so long as the end configuration is something that could have been bought from the factory. So you can't mix and match parts from, say, a standard GT and the Shelby GT.

You can run 18"x8.5" wheels as long as the offset is within .25" of the factory wheels (assuming your car was built when the polished Bullitts were available). As far as the 05-09 GTs go, I don't believe that there was a wheel wider than 8.5" available (correct me if I'm wrong because I'd love to be able to run my 9" wheels in F Stock).

As I said, I think you'd be fine with the GT500 arms, especially in regional competition. Any performance enhancement they offer would be extremely minimal at best. If I were you I would remain in F Stock. It takes a lot more money to put together a competitive ESP car than F Stock (and you can pretty easily blow a few grand in the stock classes).

Finally, if you do end up moving out of Stock, you can always use the F Stock PAX index to see how you compare to other drivers since your car is basically stock.

EDIT: Although with the FRPP pack you've got you're bumped out of Stock already, so a lot of what I just said is meaningless.