Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Handling upgrade to '07 GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:47 AM
texas_outlaw

Default Handling upgrade to '07 GT

Hello everyone,

I have an '07 GT with a few bolt-ons that is in desperate need of a handling upgrade. Straight-line performance is fantastic, but the handling really stinks (compared to my Mazdaspeed6, anyways). My goal is a nice-handling street car with excellent ride quality. However, I want to keep my 17" wheels and do not want to lower the car. The only handling upgrade so far is a set of 255/50/17 Nitto 555s.

Honestly, the only thing I don't like about how she handles now is her "dual personality". The car understeers when hot footin' it at speed but "rotates" (oversteers?) at lower speeds (under 20 mph or so). I would like to bring both of these situations closer to center/neutral. I would also like to reduce body roll, squat, and dive but these are more of a nice-to-have. And like most others, I have the typical clunking in the front-end from the shock mounts, so it's time to replace/upgrade these parts anyway.

Given my comments and goals above, what would you guys and gals recommend? I do plan to call Sam Strano in the next week or so but want to get additional comments and input. Thanks!!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Yep, from the factory your car was setup to understeer...and it succeeds rather well. I don't know about the 20mph oversteer though..WTF are you doing to cause that.

A quick and simple solution to the traction issue is tires - 555s are ok but they aren't exactly fly paper. There are many choices that are far stickier. Check out some of the extreme performance summer tires (since you live in TX you could probably get by with them all year round).

Regarding the body roll - springs and dampers. Lots of choices in both. If you can get the adjustable Konis (supply problems) they are an excellent choice because you can firm or soften the ride within a matter of minutes, depending on your preference at the moment. Clunking...prefered solution is some camber plates. But you can just replace the upper strut mounts, you probably have the originals in there.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:20 PM
texas_outlaw

RE: the handling at low speeds - I may be describing it wrong. But it feels like the car is pivoting on a point instead of turning in an arc. Maybe it's body roll? Dunno, but it is a very odd feeling that doesn't occur at higher speeds (granted, I don't take 75* corners at 50 mph!!).

RE: the tires - I bought the 555s due to size availability. I wanted something wider than the stock 235s that would maintain the same diameter. Hence, the 255/50. Not much else is out there in a 17" anymore. I might have to bite the bullet and upgrade to 18". :-(

Koni's seem to be the way to go. I just need to decide between the Sport or ST model. I really do not want to lower the car though. Does anymore make stock height springs?