Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

2012 GT/CS Convertible Suspension Mods - Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 07:07 AM
Shipey

Default 2012 GT/CS Convertible Suspension Mods - Help Needed

Wish I would have found this site before I ordered parts. On order is the FRPP suspension pack to lower my 6 sp manual GT/CS convertible 1 inch. I am being told that the upper control arm should be replaced with an adjustable to set proper pinion angle, and lower control arms need brackets to keep proper angle. On order is an upper adjustable mount with a poly bushing and boxed lowers with poly bushings and relocation brackets. Also ordered is an adjustable panhard rod.

The car will be used for touring, and will see little strip time. However, I do want to get rid of wheel hop, but without upsetting ride and handling. If this combo makes it ride a little more stiff than stock, it's ok witih me. I just don't want unpredictable handling.

Before the 3 control arms are installed, would I have been better off to just use the GT500 control arms with the higher durometer rubber bushings instead of steel boxed with poly bushings? Are relocation brackets really needed for a 1 inch drop? Is the adjustable upper control arm necessary?

Install to be scheduled soon, so your help will be greatly appreciated!

Shipey
Old 04-25-2011, 02:00 AM
Swoope

if the convertible is different than the hardtop maybe, but i dont think so..

at just 1 inch drop you should be fine..

who gave you such info..?

beers
Old 04-26-2011, 05:16 AM
Shipey

Default 2012 GT/CS Convertible Suspension Mods - Help Needed

A well-known parts seller from S. Central PA, but I think their business leans more toward drag racing applications, now that I've researched it further.

There are now different lower control arms panhard rods for the Mustang GT coupe, GT covertible, GT 500, and BOSS.

I am trying to find out if there is a difference in the upper control arm on these models. If so, maybe the GT 500 3-piece set would help control some wheel hop while still keeping a good ride on a car that will be used for touring.

Do you know which parts have harder rubber bushings? My guess is the convertible has the softest bushings of all of them, but I just don't know.
Without a connection to a Ford chassis engineer I can't get the answer.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:38 AM
Swoope

shipey,

if you are not going to go fi.. lca seem to be the key..

this site and guy have lots of good info.. might give him a ring. likely going to save you lots of money. www.stranoparts.com

springs shocks lca. done.. really just shocks and lca should do it.. seems like you are trying to kill a mosquito with a hammer..

beers