Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

What would 'Step 2' be for a leaky axle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 09:50 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Thanks JAJ, that's exactly what I needed to hear. I am looking at the exact same deal from LMR, along with the lubelocker gasket. The thread pitch to plug that hole is standard (as opposed to metric), and is 7/16-20. I suspect finding one that's that short will be nearly impossible, but that's why I've got an angle grinder or a sawzall . Figure cut it down, probably use a washer or two and red loctite and hopefully it's sealed for good. Let me know if you source a good plug, and I'll do the same. What does the 2011 GT500 have? Presumably it's plugged on the axle? Could be another overpriced Ford bolt in my future.

Sleeper, with how much power you have and how much your car is on track I have no idea how your diff hasn't leaked all over the place. Doesn't seem like a fluid-type issue; one of my spills was due to going around roundabouts a few times, but otherwise not taxing the car at all. It just loaded up the right side of the axle with fluid (given a very extended, high G left turn), and out it came. Do you run RP with or without friction modifier? RP says you don't need it, but I've heard both ways on this forum. I probalby have a diff fluid change in my near future given I'll replace the cover, so just getting some ideas.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:44 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

If I can't find a proper plug, I'll put a capscrew with a nut on it into the hole. Put thread sealer on it, wind it a little ways in and then tighten the nut down to seal the hole and lock the capscrew in place.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:05 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DPE
Sleeper, with how much power you have and how much your car is on track I have no idea how your diff hasn't leaked all over the place. Doesn't seem like a fluid-type issue; one of my spills was due to going around roundabouts a few times, but otherwise not taxing the car at all. It just loaded up the right side of the axle with fluid (given a very extended, high G left turn), and out it came. Do you run RP with or without friction modifier? RP says you don't need it, but I've heard both ways on this forum. I probalby have a diff fluid change in my near future given I'll replace the cover, so just getting some ideas.
I run the RP without the friction modifier as that is what they recommend.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:31 PM
zero2sixd
1st Gear Member

I frequent a track with a long high-G left hander. I use the KR reservoir mentioned earlier and installed it after getting tired of losing fluid out the breather. Haven't had a problem since.

While I'm sure you can do it cheaper, I doubt you could do it easier than using the KR setup.

http://www.shelbystore.com/ProductDe...e=8R3V-4022-KR
Old 09-02-2011, 09:54 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

I like the idea of the KR resevoir, but for the same money I can get a Boss/GT500 diff cover from LMR which should also help keep temps in the diff down a bit.

And finally, finding no answer online, I went to my local Ford dealer who has both a Boss and a 2011 GT500 in stock. I crawled under both with a flashlight, which aroused some suspicion, but ultimately no one seemed to care all that much. What I found was the nice aluminum diff cover, the little metal spring vent up on top of it, and a hex-head bolt serving as a plug in the spot on the axle where the spring vent used to go. This was true on both the Boss and the GT500.

So I went to the parts guy, who was very helpful, but his system still showed just a spring vent even for a 2011 GT500. And on the wrong side at that (2010 and older are on the passenger side, 2011+ are on the drivers side). I suspect in time we'll be able to find a part number for that plug, and he's going to check with Ford on it, on Tuesday, but for now at least I can be certain that you CAN plug the axle vent hole and relocate the metal vent to the top of a Boss/GT500 diff cover. That's the route I'm planning on going, though I may save it for a winter project. Give them some time to figure out the plug, though obviously it's pluggable with standard hardware store bolts and nuts if need be. And by 'standard' I mean 'not metric', as it does in fact use a standard thread pitch of 7/16 - 20.

Anyway, here's hoping it ultimately works.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:28 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DPE
I like the idea of the KR resevoir, but for the same money I can get a Boss/GT500 diff cover from LMR which should also help keep temps in the diff down a bit.

And finally, finding no answer online, I went to my local Ford dealer who has both a Boss and a 2011 GT500 in stock. I crawled under both with a flashlight, which aroused some suspicion, but ultimately no one seemed to care all that much. What I found was the nice aluminum diff cover, the little metal spring vent up on top of it, and a hex-head bolt serving as a plug in the spot on the axle where the spring vent used to go. This was true on both the Boss and the GT500.

So I went to the parts guy, who was very helpful, but his system still showed just a spring vent even for a 2011 GT500. And on the wrong side at that (2010 and older are on the passenger side, 2011+ are on the drivers side). I suspect in time we'll be able to find a part number for that plug, and he's going to check with Ford on it, on Tuesday, but for now at least I can be certain that you CAN plug the axle vent hole and relocate the metal vent to the top of a Boss/GT500 diff cover. That's the route I'm planning on going, though I may save it for a winter project. Give them some time to figure out the plug, though obviously it's pluggable with standard hardware store bolts and nuts if need be. And by 'standard' I mean 'not metric', as it does in fact use a standard thread pitch of 7/16 - 20.

It is interesting to see how Ford is "improving the breed" to solve problems on production vehicles that really only occur when you are driving the car near the limits.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:16 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

What's needed is a "Straight Thread O-Ring Boss" plug in JIC 04 size. It has an o-ring and the 7/16-20 thread.

http://www.amazon.com/IMPERIAL-96542.../dp/B001DBOTKC

Of course, you could also use a fitting instead of a plug, and then run a flex line to a catch tank.

Originally Posted by DPE

Last edited by JAJ; 09-05-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:08 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

That certainly looks ideal; good find JAJ. I think that makes the project 'complete'; now to hope it actually works and ALL of the diff fluid stays in the diff no matter what you do...
Old 09-06-2011, 01:46 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I had the axle vent leak at Sebring back in May. I'm planning to try a remote reservoir, like that KR unit.