Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Sexy Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 06:00 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DTK
WOW! really wow.

So, I guess Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Audi, Chevrolet (ZR1), Nissan GTR, etc., all come factory equipped with "Drilled only" rotors for looks only? They tested other rotor styles that had better stopping power but "ALL" opted to choose looks over performance? Really?

One of the only cars that I can recall not having factory drilled rotors is a Viper (slotted) and I am not even sure that was for all models and model years. There may be others in the high performance class but non drilled is the exception.

They DO increase stopping power but I am not going to post all kinds of scientific specifics to prove anything...........the fact that nearly all high performance manufacturers use this type of rotor exclusively would/should be enough for most people who like logic versus 5th hand passed around and regurgitated misinformation with no fact behind it.

To say they are for looks only is just not factual that's all.
They may not be the absolute "best" rotor type because different types of racing or driving may favour a slotted only, drilled/slotted or just solid vented rotor but looks is only part of it.

I myself exclusively use drilled only rotors with my Brembo's but I don't buy the cheap crappy ones with the non chamfered holes that are more prone to hairline cracks.
As the rotor wears down to replacement level it is only natural to see some evidence of hairline cracks but not all drilled rotors will even show distress at the end of their life....it all depends on the quality as well as the level of abuse they faced.
I always source the higher end rotors (cost a few $$ more) and have never had any cracking issues myself but I do know of one case of an acquaintance but he got a cheap non chamfered set off ebay so go figure.

OP: Go with what you like but with the best performance possible. If you are buying from ebay ensure you are getting a quality rotor and if they have any drilled holes check to see if they are at least chamfered.

BTW, here are a few pics of some exotic cars that I guess are "posing".
Rage much?

Those rotors are a lot larger and those cars are typically a lot lighter so the amount of force on the brakes is less, also for many higher-end cars the typical replacement cycle of those rotors is much shorter. Motorsports teams that use these type of rotors typically use them for one race then throw them away for the exact reason we are talking about. Prolonged stress causes drilled rotors to fail faster than non-drilled rotors. The holes are to let gases escape that are created from braking, slots are there to collect dust from the pad and keep the surface of the pad clean. If you are heating up your rotors that much you can get a ram air cooling kit for the front brakes and you don't have to worry about getting stress cracks.

Last edited by gmoran1469; 01-26-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Is it possible that those manufacturers are drilling their rotors to make them look better and because that is what people want?

My information came from a manufacturer of race pads for Porsche.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:59 PM
sonnier
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I've seen plenty of cracked drilled rotors, including the stock Porsche rotors. I've also seen my drilled rotors crack. I save my money on fancy rotors and go for good pads. Don't care much for looks compared to performance in that brake department.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:27 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Drilled/slotted rotors will do nothing for stopping power compared to a set of good pads.