Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

suspension and chassis first steps????

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 06:04 PM
tomkay
1st Gear Member

I'm in Milford, PA. I have not done any track or drag days yet as I only got the car in april 2011 and I put it away in Nov. As soon as I get more familiar with the car I would like to try it.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:56 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tomkay
I'm in Milford, PA. I have not done any track or drag days yet as I only got the car in april 2011 and I put it away in Nov. As soon as I get more familiar with the car I would like to try it.
You are really close to Pocono raceway. Mainly known for NASCAR races and its tri-oval but they also have three infield road courses that can be configured in multiple ways to make long and short tracks. I've driven there a number of times. One of the configurations involves using NASCAR turn 1 (running it clockwise) with its 14 degrees of banking. I enter that corner at about 120, don't have the ***** to go any faster (even though I know the grip is there). It's a little hair raising as you are pushed deep into the seat by the centrifigal force and have to use a surprising amount of arm force to keep the car from climbing the track.

Other than that I think the closest track to you (not counting the private Monticello club) is going to be Limerock in CT. Watkins Glen and New Jersey Motorsports Park are also in the area but about 3 hrs from Miford.

If you want any help or have questions about attending some track days let me know.

OP - sorry about going so off topic.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:45 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by albino_coyote
Seems like a great place to start with the mustang is subframe connectors and lower rear control arms.

I was thinking about steeda subframe connectors and shelby lower control arms...what do you guys think about this approach and should I consider other products?
My first suggestion would be UPR LCAs. They add traction in a straight line & in the corners, and they get rid of the horrible wheel hop. They are Made in America, they carry a Lifetime Guarantee, and they're only $117/pair with the MF discount.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-c...ushing-05.html

My next suggestion would be shocks/struts, strut mounts, springs, and an adjustable pan hard bar.

We use our Pro Series springs (manufactured by Eibach), and Pro Street pan hard bar to center the rear end after the drop. For street/strip cars, our QA1 shocks & struts work very well, but if you're going for an open track, you might consider Koni Yellows. For strut mounts, I'd suggest GT500 mounts on a budget or Vorshlag if you have a couple extra bucks.

You're welcome to give us a call at 561.588.6630 to discuss some options. We offer MF members a 10% discount on any part we manufacture.

[edit] I didn't mention tires & wheels. Good tires and wheels are critical for getting the most out of your car, traction-wise.