Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Suspension Hardware?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 07:53 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Default Suspension Hardware?

I'm currently making a nest of Mustang suspension goodies for a winter project. I've set myself a nice budget, so my current parts-list covers everything but spring isolators and A-arms. No isolators because as long as my current ones are fine, I don't want to deal with squeaking. And I think I'll do A-arms later on when I do another project I have in mind to lighten the front end (tubular K-member, rad support, A's, etc.). Plus they destroy my budget

The one thing I haven't found much discussion on is reusing Ford hardware, specifically the “one time use bolts”. I guess that would include the LCA, panhard, chassis brace, and strut bolts? I’ve found opposing mindsets on this topic, one being “They are ‘One-Time’ bolts for a reason, replace them!”, and the other being “They are bolts, don’t overthink it! I’ve been reusing for years!”

I reused the bolts on my only suspension mod so far, BMR LCAs, and they’ve are fine. However, I want everything to be done properly, of course.

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Warpig12354
3rd Gear Member

If what your buying doesn't come with new hardware I would reuse them.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Mob Bomber
1st Gear Member

I've never known or suspension bolts to be a one time use. If that was the case, everytime I did alignments on cars and had to replace stock suspension parts I would have got new hardware with it. Those bolts can be used over and over again. Just make sure to torque them down properly.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:48 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

This isn't one of the informative threads that I found earlier, but it still is pretty good.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...arm-bolts.html
Old 09-09-2012, 07:34 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Since your car is an early year, I would strongly urge replacing the strut to knuckle bolts with the upgraded new ones. The old bolts were coarse thread, torqued to 148 ft-lbs. The newer ones are fine thread, slightly stronger, and get torqued to 166 ft-lbs. Since Ford made this running production upgrade, anybody breaking the front suspension of an older year car apart for any reason at all might as well buy the same level of peace of mind here.

Anything that's clearly a torque-to-yield fastener needs to be replaced as it has already been stretched. Think fasteners that call for an initial torque and then require some amount of angular turn. I don't know offhand if any S197 suspension fasteners are in this category, but if any of them are you need to consider them throw-aways as soon as you remove them.

Seemingly minor differences in joint configuration between OE and aftermarket (rear LCAs is a common example) could make a difference in the torque that is actually required. One thought is that if you can attain the specified torque and hold it there without the fastener relaxing (and the torque dropping off), you're almost certainly OK. Just understand that I can't absolutely guarantee this. If the torque does drop off, replace it.

I've also heard about adding a drop of medium-strength threadlocker while you're at it and not putting any suspension fastener through too many torque cycles before replacing them being good practices.

Norm
Old 09-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Since your car is an early year, I would strongly urge replacing the strut to knuckle bolts with the upgraded new ones. The old bolts were coarse thread, torqued to 148 ft-lbs. The newer ones are fine thread, slightly stronger, and get torqued to 166 ft-lbs. Since Ford made this running production upgrade, anybody breaking the front suspension of an older year car apart for any reason at all might as well buy the same level of peace of mind here.

Anything that's clearly a torque-to-yield fastener needs to be replaced as it has already been stretched. Think fasteners that call for an initial torque and then require some amount of angular turn. I don't know offhand if any S197 suspension fasteners are in this category, but if any of them are you need to consider them throw-aways as soon as you remove them.

Seemingly minor differences in joint configuration between OE and aftermarket (rear LCAs is a common example) could make a difference in the torque that is actually required. One thought is that if you can attain the specified torque and hold it there without the fastener relaxing (and the torque dropping off), you're almost certainly OK. Just understand that I can't absolutely guarantee this. If the torque does drop off, replace it.

I've also heard about adding a drop of medium-strength threadlocker while you're at it and not putting any suspension fastener through too many torque cycles before replacing them being good practices.

Norm
I was just about to recommend this. Maximum Motorsports sells the upgraded 166 lb*ft Strut to Spindle bolts and I replaced mine when I did the lowering spring install.

For ALL of the hardware I would recommend some medium strength threadlocker. I haven't had any issues with any of my hardware coming loose after using it. I have had some rear swaybar bolts that weren't tight enough to begin with that allowed the bushing to make a lot of noise, but some good ole German "Gudentite" torque settings works on those. Most of that hardware is basically new Grade 8 hardware anyway!

I don't think any of the suspension bolts are torque to yield but I think Ford recommends replacement because some of the nuts have tapered theads that act like a lock nut. The strut to spindle bolts are a perfect example of that. The new bolts from Maximum Motorsports would not accept their nuts beyond about 3 turns in. Part of the reason I used threadlocker on any bolts I reused.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:18 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the info, guys!

I'm going to pick up 1 or 2 tubes of Blue Locktite for all the hardware, and I'll put those 166 ft/lb bolts on my list. $56.93 for 4 bolts/nuts, that's gonna hurt.

The remainder 9 bolts will probably just get reused with generous threadlocker
Old 09-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I think they're a little less expensive at Maximum Motorsports. Don't know about shipping, though.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...oducts_id=1360

Norm
Old 09-09-2012, 04:45 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I think they're a little less expensive at Maximum Motorsports. Don't know about shipping, though.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...oducts_id=1360

Norm
Yeah, requires 2 sets and shipping is expensive. Totals 56.93
Old 09-15-2012, 09:27 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Mob Bomber
I've never known or suspension bolts to be a one time use. If that was the case, everytime I did alignments on cars and had to replace stock suspension parts I would have got new hardware with it. Those bolts can be used over and over again. Just make sure to torque them down properly.
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=53

Read up and be informed instead of "I've never known..."

http://www.i-car.com/pdf/advantage/o...006/121106.pdf

Just cus you are doing it wrong does not make it right.

BTW, threadlocker only works if the thread are pristine clean.
Brake cleaner and compressed air makes short work of cleaning
the threads.
I use lots of it (blue and red) daily.

Last edited by 157dB; 09-15-2012 at 09:32 AM.