Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

What makes a better corner?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 03:46 PM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaBrandon
Definitely and upgrading the suspension will help the car feel more stable and help you feel more in control.

I would start with something like springs, dampers, adjustable panhard bar, and F/R swaybars.

Let me know if I can setup a package deal for you.

PM Sent
Old 09-13-2012, 05:40 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kevilay
Hey guys the other day I took my friends 96 vette for a spin. I noticed when cornering if feels really flat and sticks nicely. You can also power slide through the corners with so much control. Im pretty noob when it comes to car stuff. I have an 08 gt and it feels much more boat like. Is it just the big weight difference? Whats involved it making it feel better going through corners and giving it the ability to slide with more control? Im guessing maybe lowering springs and shocks would be a good start.

Thanks for your help,
Kevin
Okay, there are two things going on so I'll address them separately.

First, the planted, predictable feeling of the vette is primarily due to its IRS. Remember, 16 yrs old or not, that Corvette was designed and built from the ground up to be a sports car. I've driven C4s and C5s at their limit, and they are far more predictable handling cars than stock Mustangs are. That said, you can easily make an '08 Mustang surpass the handling of a stock '96 vette.

Second, the stock suspension on our cars leaves A LOT to be desired. I'm getting ready to do a full write up on the suspension upgrades I've done to my '06 GT, but the short version is this: the full UPR Products S197 Handling Package combined with Koni Yellow dampeners has radically transformed the handling of my car. It has far more grip than ever, it's smooth and predictable at the limit, and this is all on Goodyear F1 street tires. I've been amazed by it. You can call UPR at 561.588.6630 for more information about our handling setup. Otherwise you could wait (probably next week) to see pictures of everything I've done.

www.uprproducts.com
Old 09-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Warpig12354
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
Okay, there are two things going on so I'll address them separately.

First, the planted, predictable feeling of the vette is primarily due to its IRS. Remember, 16 yrs old or not, that Corvette was designed and built from the ground up to be a sports car. I've driven C4s and C5s at their limit, and they are far more predictable handling cars than stock Mustangs are. That said, you can easily make an '08 Mustang surpass the handling of a stock '96 vette.

Second, the stock suspension on our cars leaves A LOT to be desired. I'm getting ready to do a full write up on the suspension upgrades I've done to my '06 GT, but the short version is this: the full UPR Products S197 Handling Package combined with Koni Yellow dampeners has radically transformed the handling of my car. It has far more grip than ever, it's smooth and predictable at the limit, and this is all on Goodyear F1 street tires. I've been amazed by it. You can call UPR at 561.588.6630 for more information about our handling setup. Otherwise you could wait (probably next week) to see pictures of everything I've done.

www.uprproducts.com
Looking forward to the write up!
Old 09-13-2012, 08:14 PM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

me to
Old 09-13-2012, 08:34 PM
GT Katie
1st Gear Member

Hey Kevin,
I think it's like those above have said. Different seating position in the Vettes & lower to the ground. Also I've noticed a totally different steering feel & ratio, & they're a different wheel base, etc etc etc.. I've driven my friends '96 Vette & also their 2001 & they don't handle as well as my '08 GT. The Vettes are just tubs with wider wheels & tires, & maybe better seats, but when they try & follow me into a 300 degree freeway entrance, (at speed) I leave them in the dust like they threw an anchor out :-).. Mine is all stock suspension so yours should handle as well as long as you don't have a lot of miles on it & the springs & shocks aren't sacked out. How many miles does yours have?? Did you have traction controll on or off? You can really power slide these GTs with it OFF :-)
Also I don't think there's that much weight difference between the '96 Vette & our S197s.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:09 PM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT Katie
Hey Kevin,
I think it's like those above have said. Different seating position in the Vettes & lower to the ground. Also I've noticed a totally different steering feel & ratio, & they're a different wheel base, etc etc etc.. I've driven my friends '96 Vette & also their 2001 & they don't handle as well as my '08 GT. The Vettes are just tubs with wider wheels & tires, & maybe better seats, but when they try & follow me into a 300 degree freeway entrance, (at speed) I leave them in the dust like they threw an anchor out :-).. Mine is all stock suspension so yours should handle as well as long as you don't have a lot of miles on it & the springs & shocks aren't sacked out. How many miles does yours have?? Did you have traction controll on or off? You can really power slide these GTs with it OFF :-)
Also I don't think there's that much weight difference between the '96 Vette & our S197s.
I normally run overdrive and traction control both off. My car has 84,000 km on it. I believe thats around 50k miles?. Also the vette weights around 2600lbs i believe, ours is closer to 4200
Old 09-13-2012, 10:20 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Ehhh, it's more around 3300.. they aren't that light or they would be a hell of a lot faster with their 300hp
Old 09-13-2012, 11:13 PM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
Ehhh, it's more around 3300.. they aren't that light or they would be a hell of a lot faster with their 300hp
yeah your, right. my friend mis informed me
Old 09-14-2012, 07:14 AM
Warpig12354
3rd Gear Member

GT's are actually closer to 3500.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:44 AM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Warpig12354
GT's are actually closer to 3500.
Oh really? I was going by what my door jam said.

Quick Reply: What makes a better corner?