Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

front svt brake upgrade kit question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 07:29 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Default front svt brake upgrade kit question

I was just wondering, for those of you who ordered the ford racing svt front brake upgrade kit with the brembo calipers, when the pads eventually go where do we get the replacement brembo pads?
Old 11-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Only the rotors and calipers are by brembo. You can get pads from any Ford dealer, or if you choose, many aftermarket pads are available.

I take my car to the track regularly, so I like to use a track oriented pad. For strictly street work I think the Ford pads are very, very good. here's my take on the three sets of pads I've tried:

Ford: Quiet, durable, good modulation. I even used them at Mosport (which is not hard on brakes), and had no trouble. They are not up to high demand tracks, I found they went away quickly and with little warning. I still think they're a great street pad.

Carbotech XP8/XP10: Great track pads. No fade, ever. They require less pedal pressure than the Ford pads, but they are never grabby. For me, heel & toe is smoother when you have a bit of pressure on the brake pedal. They're noisy on the street though, it's embarrassing!

Hawk HP+: I didn't like these pads at all. Very noisy and grabby on the street, and faded very quickly on the track. Plus, they dust up really badly. I would not recommend them to anyone for any purpose. They're cheap though.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Jay@Hypermotive
Former Sponsor

Take a look at the stop tech ST40 BBK, you'd be surprised at the cost. They come with SS lines too and a decent set off pads.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Brake pads are easy to find for Brembo's... I carry lots of them (nice when that pad is used on a lot of cars). I really like Ferodo DS2500's for the car, so much so I also have them on another one of my cars. Great power, but without the on/off switch nature of HP Plus (which I also sell, one of many options), and not a dirty or loud either. Also capable of holding up to track use if the place isn't super hard on brakes.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:08 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Brake pads are easy to find for Brembo's... I carry lots of them (nice when that pad is used on a lot of cars). I really like Ferodo DS2500's for the car, so much so I also have them on another one of my cars. Great power, but without the on/off switch nature of HP Plus (which I also sell, one of many options), and not a dirty or loud either. Also capable of holding up to track use if the place isn't super hard on brakes.
Yeah I heard hawk is crap, well whats a good rear pad and rotor combo to use with the front upgrade kit? SO its nice and balanced
Old 11-27-2012, 10:49 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

the stock rear brakes are fine on these cars, the rear brakes on the gt500 are the same as the GTs