Creaking rear after spring install - MustangForums.com

S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #1  
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Default Creaking rear after spring install

I installed a set of Eibach Pros about 5 months ago and have finally decided to look into this problem. I am experiencing a creaking sound coming from the rear suspension when making low speed turns (parking lot or backing into garage). I am still on stock shocks and have yet to pick up an adj. PHB. Any suggestions on where to start looking? I'm sure the PHB may be partially at fault considering I am side loading the rear. Is there anything I need to re-grease?

While on that subject, exactly what all does need to be lubricated or re-greased on these cars and at what intervals? I've always relied on the Jiffy Lube guys to do this for me until now.
Rocket254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #2  
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Creaking or squeeking? Metal on metal or something else?
moochman4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #3  
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Not a squeak and doesnt really sound metal on metal. Maybe creaking isn't as good of a word as popping. Nearly sounds as if something is rotating and popping in and out of place as I make a low speed turn. (That also seems to be only noticeable when the turn is also on an incline/decline I've noticed no other symptoms/problems other than this sound.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #4  
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

To be honest, something could have just come loose, or your springs might not be seated correctly. Did you do the install yourself?

A clear indication that one of your shocks has blown up is leaking or a fluid coating around the shock. Gotta remember that the stock shock/strut were valved for the stock spring.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #5  
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Yep, I did it myself. If I remember correctly, there was a notch where the bottom of the spring was seated that made it evident where the end of the coil needed to be. Guess I should get under there and check it out. I knew that my struts/shocks were on borrowed time after this install but I was hoping they'd hold up for a while longer.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #6  
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Your shocks/struts might still be alright, man. You are just accelerating their wear with the addition of aftermarket springs.

Remember that the springs also fit into a "groove" above the spring, too.