Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Complaints on the GT500

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Zan186
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Complaints on the GT500

Hmm, complaints?
1) Vinyl Stripes - are you kidding me? Then again Ford did that on the Ford GT as well and had the option for paint. Ford is a bunch of retards with that crap. Paint is better and should of been the only option for both the GT500 and the Ford GT.
2) Mirrors should of been painted and not cheap plastic. (clearly cutting costs)
3) Prop rod is a small thing but they could of done better.
4) Rim options could of been better and wider on the rears. I think a 10" width would of been a bit smarter on the back.
5) Exhaust is very tame. I think they should of had magnaflows or borla's as an option.
6) Drive Shaft - 44 lbs, two piece? umm what were they thinking.
7) Cast Iron Block - why? The Ford GT engine was perfect for this application! What were they thinking! I think most people would of shelled out 8k more to have the Aluminum block and save 300lbs!

Other than that the car is great. It has a luxury type ride until you get on it. Then it shows its teeth. I wish the supercharger was a Ken Bell or whipple but it is what it is so I will just have to mod it later!
Old 05-15-2008, 10:10 PM
cbgammel05
2nd Gear Member

It's funny i stumbled upon this post...i usually hang out over in the saleen section lol...obviously...but i have been in talks with the local car dealer here recently about trading over to a gt-500...god the decision is hard....urghhh[:@][:@][:@]
Old 05-16-2008, 02:56 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I would not say sappy but a "real" man with morals and values and takes care of this family. Your car will rock and I envy you more now than before.... I thought the "Build" of my car would be more for lack of a better term "satisfying[&:]" and I DO NOT regret doing everything the way I did but now that the prices are coming down on these bad as GT500's and I have the Ford "A" plan thru my twin I could get one at or just above MSRP! My build has not cost me more than it would cost to build a "true" GT500 but I want the bigger and stornger 5.4L 4V very badly and the car itself is very detuned and has so much more potential with minimal mods...... OH well who knows what the future will bring.... maybe I will keep this one and buy a GT500? Take care bro and post it up when you take delivery!....cant wait to see it! J

ORIGINAL: cheftjpeck

ORIGINAL: mygt500

Love the car skymedic and the color just "pops"!!! Cheftpeck- congrats on the buy and I just want the 5.4L 4V motor.... I would gladly trade mine in for at real GT500!!!!!! For those who dont know mygt500= my =mine, gt= mustang gt, and 500= greater than 500 hp at the crank...see sig for RWHP/TQ!
thx, DONT TRADE IT IN....your car is freaking beautiful and FAST as is...one of my main reasons for letting my beautiful tribute go[&:]was to have a gt500 that will be passed on to my son as I age....that way he can say he has a shelby like his grandpa had and now his dad will have....we all share the same name and would love to share the actual same name car with him....kind of sappy I know...but you know me..I am a sappy guy...
Old 05-16-2008, 07:28 AM
freefallpat
3rd Gear Member

When I originally purchased the GT, I got the mod bug soon after. It was a blast putting stuff on it and also my first experience doing it. Even with the 4.30s, TC ,Vortech, wheels and suspension I don't think it's close to my GT500. The GT500 just feels like a stronger base. Even with the 2.8L KB I can beat on it and not fear breaking something. My GT scares me a little.
I hope you can do the move eventually. I'm sure you won't regret it.

This is a thread about complaints but I'm certain you will not find one single GT500 owner that is disappointed with it. I was looking at a GT40 a few months back but the wife wouldn't let me keep the 500 if I went with it. I just couldn't live with selling it. You do get love struck with this car.

I would not say sappy but a "real" man with morals and values and takes care of this family. Your car will rock and I envy you more now than before.... I thought the "Build" of my car would be more for lack of a better term "satisfying[&:]" and I DO NOT regret doing everything the way I did but now that the prices are coming down on these bad as GT500's and I have the Ford "A" plan thru my twin I could get one at or just above MSRP! My build has not cost me more than it would cost to build a "true" GT500 but I want the bigger and stornger 5.4L 4V very badly and the car itself is very detuned and has so much more potential with minimal mods...... OH well who knows what the future will bring.... maybe I will keep this one and buy a GT500? Take care bro and post it up when you take delivery!....cant wait to see it! J

Love the car skymedic and the color just "pops"!!! Cheftpeck- congrats on the buy and I just want the 5.4L 4V motor.... I would gladly trade mine in for at real GT500!!!!!! For those who dont know mygt500= my =mine, gt= mustang gt, and 500= greater than 500 hp at the crank...see sig for RWHP/TQ!
thx, DONT TRADE IT IN....your car is freaking beautiful and FAST as is...one of my main reasons for letting my beautiful tribute go[&:]was to have a gt500 that will be passed on to my son as I age....that way he can say he has a shelby like his grandpa had and now his dad will have....we all share the same name and would love to share the actual same name car with him....kind of sappy I know...but you know me..I am a sappy guy...
Old 05-18-2008, 05:09 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Though very valid negative points on the GT500 the car that the OP stated- Overall I would agree with you freefallpat that almost everyone that has one loves it and I know the OP will too (or he would not have bought one).
ORIGINAL: freefallpat

When I originally purchased the GT, I got the mod bug soon after. It was a blast putting stuff on it and also my first experience doing it. Even with the 4.30s, TC ,Vortech, wheels and suspension I don't think it's close to my GT500. The GT500 just feels like a stronger base. Even with the 2.8L KB I can beat on it and not fear breaking something. My GT scares me a little.

This is a thread about complaints but I'm certain you will not find one single GT500 owner that is disappointed with it. I was looking at a GT40 a few months back but the wife wouldn't let me keep the 500 if I went with it. I just couldn't live with selling it. You do get love struck with this car.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:55 AM
08 Bullitt 2310
2nd Gear Member

You almost bought a GT40,Ford GT,Whichever.I love my 500 but the GT is a sweeeeeeeeeet ride!That decision would be little esier for me.Not tht I don't like my 500.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:57 AM
08 Bullitt 2310
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cbgammel05

It's funny i stumbled upon this post...i usually hang out over in the saleen section lol...obviously...but i have been in talks with the local car dealer here recently about trading over to a gt-500...god the decision is hard....urghhh[:@][:@][:@]

You already have a damn nice car!Can I try out your Saleen before you let her go!?
Old 05-18-2008, 10:48 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

100% agree.....I will love my car when I get it in 11 days....no doubt.albeit I did title this thread COMPLAINTS...not really complaining...maybe surprised is a little better way of looking at it...I cant wait to drive my car I am so looking forward to it....overall I still believe the GT500 is a great base car with a INCREDIBLE upside, if someone so chooses...for me it will be an awesome ride to use as my daily driver....even at $4.00 per gallon ...

Though very valid negative points on the GT500 the car that the OP stated- Overall I would agree with you freefallpat that almost everyone that has one loves it and I know the OP will too (or he would not have bought one).

Old 05-18-2008, 04:25 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

This car is unbelievable, I would think the same even if I paid double the price that some have!
Old 05-20-2008, 08:45 PM
mjcobra18
1st Gear Member

i actually wouldnt have paid 5 or 10 over sticker for this car. i somehow got it at about sticker and i kind of wish i had gone the faster route with the vette.

but its still a shelby