Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

750HP Whipple 2.9L S/C Kit early impressions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 07:56 AM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Yes, I have the FRPP ProCal tuner that they send out to you with the canned tune. I think I'm starting to "calm down" about it now. Like I said in my original post, anymore HP at this point would just be academic. It breaks traction even above 100MPH if I stab the throttle in 3rd or 4th gear. Until I can get some better meats on the rear, it's a moot point. My biggest gripe came from reading their article on how they do their programming. They extolled on the virtues of how they tested the tunes in some of the most extreme conditions. What I inferred from that was the tune would give me at least 750HP (CRANK HP for those making assumptions) in the worst conditions and significantly more in the best conditions (as shown by the 690HP spike with an iced down blower.) It gave me less than 750HP even in mild conditions. But I guess the ambient air temp is immaterial if the intercooler was heat soaked, like you said.

Last edited by GT Premi; 11-24-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:52 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

ahhh.. a procal. Was wondering about like a predator or SCT, as you can data log with those. Ever consider a Interceptor scan gauge? You can monitor IAT on those. Oh well, if you can somehow monitor that next time you can see whats really going on and gauge how much power you car is pulling out with timing.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:31 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

JD is right on the button with the heat soak...it doesn't take much as some think...some things to consider for you and your ride to continue with the power, yet make it more efficient....first and foremost...upgrade your coolant tanks, your heat exchanger and maybe even a new rad...I would reccommend the dual fan style heat exchangers, revan racing / C&R ..and now sold by shelby with their name on it is the best in my opinion and has shown proven track record of some incredible IAT reductions..that will make a dramatic increase in consistent power etc....too many think that when the temps drop outside and our ambient temps are in 60's etc then heatsoak is not bad...obviously I dont think you are not aware of this...but some are not...overall I think if you iced down your blower and pulled 690rwhp...then WOW...thats infreakingcredible. 620 consistently is also nothing to sneeze at as you recognize by your very own seat of the pantsometer and your tires balding as you drive..
just note when FRPP markets these kits they market them with max numbers etc like anyone could...if they could have gotten 800 hp at the crank on their well controlled test runs,....they would advertise that...they sold you a setup that you even proven with your iced down dyno run is capable of EXCEEDING their advertised numbers...so that to me is awesome....just keep safe with your car and watch out for the po po.....whether you have 100 hp or 1000 hp....a ticket for speeding and reckless driving is a ticket.... LOL
be safe and have fun!!!
Old 11-26-2010, 03:34 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

You are correct on all accounts. I think I'll just drop the issue for now. There's something to be said about complaining about "only" making 627HP at the wheels! LOL There's something else to be said about being able to smoke probably 99% of other cars on the road.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:51 AM
JimmyM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT Premi
You are correct on all accounts. I think I'll just drop the issue for now. There's something to be said about complaining about "only" making 627HP at the wheels! LOL There's something else to be said about being able to smoke probably 99% of other cars on the road.
I don't know how I stumbled into these forums, but dammmmmn! Breaking loose at above 100 MPH? Sounds like fun times!

Hopefully, I will be able to own a Shelby at some point in my life. First, though, gotta move up from the V6 to the GT. LOL
Old 12-01-2010, 04:01 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

I won't be smiling when it's time to replace the tires. :-o

Latest update: I've now had 3 instances of the car shutting off while coasting. The first two were after heavy throttle runs. The latest one was from just tooling through my neighborhood on the way home, no more than 45MPH. Started coasting to a stop sign and it shutoff. I'm thinking this FRPP tune really sucks. But I'm also thinking it's ridiculous that I should have to pay more money to get an "aftermarket" tune to "clean up" what FRPP has supposedly dialed in so wonderfully. <rolleyes>
Old 12-01-2010, 04:42 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

sounds like maybe a vacuum leak or something? I would check all the tubing like to the bypass valve or slave cylinder / boost gauge feed area. Doesn't make sense that it would up and die on you. You don't have cams or anything right?
Old 12-01-2010, 05:09 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Nope. Everything else is bone stock.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:35 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-02-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:35 AM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Well, I checked the hoses. Everything was tight and intact. The only thing a little loose was the tube from the EGR valve to the blower. It was very slightly pulled out. "I" don't think it was enough to cause a problem, but stranger things have happened. I thought the howl coming from my rearend was coming from my steering! LOL Anyways... I'm going to visit the ol' lady in a little bit and will see how it does then. Will update later.

Quick Reply: 750HP Whipple 2.9L S/C Kit early impressions...