Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Nobody going for GT350's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 04:55 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

Hey Buckeye, how do you like your Boss302? I'm in the market for one last hoorah, sick and tired of buying what I need, rather than what I want. I'm looking at the challenger 6.4 SRT8, or the Boss302. Ford dealers out here are pushing the GT500 like there's no tomorrow. Ford inventory out here shows two dozen GT500's, but only one Boss. Says something? Would luv your feedback. Is the Boss a true performance car, or is it allot of cosmetic fluff like the camaro (until the ZL1 to comes out in spring). I was impressed when I saw that youtube showing the Boss spanking that SS camaro by 2 sec's on the road course.

I'm normally over at the classic side of this forum but think I'll be jumping over here now and again.

Last edited by groho; 11-30-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Honestly, the GT350 is not all that. Its a high price for the name and to me, and many other folks I know who are into S197 'Stangs, the GT350 does not look all that much better than a GT500.

Sure, the GT350 outperforms the current GT500, but for a decently loaded GT500 plus mods, you still can come under the $60K GT350 price and beat the GT350.

Furthermore, the 2013 GT500 will give the GT350 a serious run for its money. You will have two cars of similar if not equal price.
Sure, we have to wait until next year to see just what kind of grit the '13 GT500 will truly have, but I have no doubts that it will completely spank the GT350.

For $60K, I personally will wait until next year and buy the '13 GT500 instead.
Yep you're paying for the shelby emblems (they have about 20 on the car! a bit tacky) and rarity, which is ok if you have tons of money. Much rather have a white BOSS 302 and modify it, have it looks twice as good as the GT350, then spend the rest on sticky tires for the track. Either that or a laguna seca but those look very strange.

the GT350 wheels are a bit too flashy for me
Old 12-01-2011, 01:22 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by groho
Hey Buckeye, how do you like your Boss302? I'm in the market for one last hoorah, sick and tired of buying what I need, rather than what I want. I'm looking at the challenger 6.4 SRT8, or the Boss302. Ford dealers out here are pushing the GT500 like there's no tomorrow. Ford inventory out here shows two dozen GT500's, but only one Boss. Says something? Would luv your feedback. Is the Boss a true performance car, or is it allot of cosmetic fluff like the camaro (until the ZL1 to comes out in spring). I was impressed when I saw that youtube showing the Boss spanking that SS camaro by 2 sec's on the road course.

I'm normally over at the classic side of this forum but think I'll be jumping over here now and again.
My dad just got a Boss, and it is fast. Great handling car, and good straight line speed too, but it was built for turns. It did a better lap around Laguna Seca than the 2010 Audi R8, if that tells you anything.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:27 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rdsx18
My dad just got a Boss, and it is fast. Great handling car, and good straight line speed too, but it was built for turns. It did a better lap around Laguna Seca than the 2010 Audi R8, if that tells you anything.
Really, post a link to the source, cause MT drivers car of the year test listed it as 5 seconds slower, that the R8. So without some documented proof, I call BS.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:45 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AK_Kayaker
Really, post a link to the source, cause MT drivers car of the year test listed it as 5 seconds slower, that the R8. So without some documented proof, I call BS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxEhnugwzCc

If you click the link under the video, on page 3 of Motor Trends story you can see they say it was indeed the 2010 R8 that it beat. Documented proof from Motor Trend. View it in youtube to see the link.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by groho
I'm looking at the challenger 6.4 SRT8,
Drive the Challenger & Camaro first! Neither one are impressive at all! What surprised me most is that the ride should be much in those cars than a Mustang with the difference in the rear suspension... but it isn't! Frankly my supercharger 4.6L was more fun than the 6.4 SRT8 by a long shot!

Last edited by Mr. D; 12-02-2011 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-02-2011, 03:57 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rdsx18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxEhnugwzCc

If you click the link under the video, on page 3 of Motor Trends story you can see they say it was indeed the 2010 R8 that it beat. Documented proof from Motor Trend. View it in youtube to see the link.
Impressive indeed, and using the same driver for all 4 cars to eliminate driving skill as a factor. That guy did keep his turns very tight and snug, much better than I can do (that is without many hours of track practice)
Old 12-02-2011, 04:40 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Impressive indeed, and using the same driver for all 4 cars to eliminate driving skill as a factor. That guy did keep his turns very tight and snug, much better than I can do (that is without many hours of track practice)
Ya I was surprised as well. Those Euro guys must be pissed now that they can't say the Mustang is a boat that can't handle good at all with that dinosaur solid rear end.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:28 AM
TripHeath

All in all a very impressive car(with the whipple), although expensive....but Im not a fan of some of the cosmetics, center exhaust seems to give the rear a clunky look to me, but I hate the new 2010+ tail lights anyways, so at least they have done a little to change that.....the front with the fake scoop and all looks very tough, and I like the CS wheels(never a fan of the gt500 wheels), but I think they should have done the stripes like the originals, solid blue and maybe have the lettering cutout showing through white letters, a little more business than flash.......(and this should 'only' be SC, just to give the 350 its own identity), just a few first impressions from me......and the limited production?, I bet they will build as many as they can get suckers to sign up for......thats just smart business....
Old 12-16-2011, 02:42 PM
05MineralGrayV6
3rd Gear Member

I must be the only guy who thinks its pure sexy If I could afford one Id own one right now. Im sure they will sell the body kit eventually then Im sure people will like them better let the cloning begin.

Quick Reply: Nobody going for GT350's?