Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

How Would You Feel...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 10:22 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

As long as the performance can back up the look/badging, I personally don't mind it... for example a supercharged GT looking like a Shelby GT500.

What I do find offensive is when a non-modded V6 (or GT for that matter) Mustang does the Shelby front end conversion and adds the Cobra badging. Why? Because they can't back the look up. Then you get a V6 Camaro owner going on his forum saying how a GT500 was afraid to race him... LOL
Old 07-13-2012, 01:51 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
As long as the performance can back up the look/badging, I personally don't mind it... for example a supercharged GT looking like a Shelby GT500.

What I do find offensive is when a non-modded V6 (or GT for that matter) Mustang does the Shelby front end conversion and adds the Cobra badging. Why? Because they can't back the look up. Then you get a V6 Camaro owner going on his forum saying how a GT500 was afraid to race him... LOL
Camaro owners lie anyway... When they lose .. They claim some excuse or another.. LOL
Old 08-08-2012, 02:30 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

the problem with the whole fake badging is when the car gets sold or traded in and the next potential owner thinks he's buying a real Shelby.
Or, as someone stated, they think they blew away a Shelby.

I have never seen a 100% correct clone anyway, but there are thousands of people who don't know the difference between the Shelby GT and a GT500, never mind all the mythical names bestowed to various versions over the years.

If I had a dime for every fake GT350... heck, I could buy a REAL one!
Old 08-08-2012, 06:27 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Orion_240
the problem with the whole fake badging is when the car gets sold or traded in and the next potential owner thinks he's buying a real Shelby.
!
I would hope this would never happen, but Im sure it has.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:24 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Orion_240
Or, as someone stated, they think they blew away a Shelby.

I have never seen a 100% correct clone anyway, but there are thousands of people who don't know the difference between the Shelby GT and a GT500, never mind all the mythical names bestowed to various versions over the years.

If I had a dime for every fake GT350... heck, I could buy a REAL one!
True on allot of points... However When I sold my 05 mustang gt with my own version of a tribute to a 68 gt350 (didn't exist at the time in s197 form) I advertised it as a mustang gt tribute .. Never once mislead or said otherwise...so it's easy to paint with a broad brush but not everyone does so to mislead or pose per say.... Unfortunately there are probably more people out there that would ... That is sad...
Old 08-08-2012, 09:26 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

PS people blow away REAL Shelby's everyday... There's always a faster car
Old 08-09-2012, 08:28 PM
mighted1987
3rd Gear Member

reading this, I did put roush badge on my gt, it got the body kit of a cervini with a roush blower, I just though it would look original putting the roush emblem and trunk to fit the blower itself since it was a v6 with the horse mustang logo...im not gonna try to sell it has a roush, but I do like the look it give, hopefully It aint too much!
Old 10-31-2012, 01:52 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cheftjpeck
True on allot of points... However When I sold my 05 mustang gt with my own version of a tribute to a 68 gt350 (didn't exist at the time in s197 form) I advertised it as a mustang gt tribute .. Never once mislead or said otherwise...so it's easy to paint with a broad brush but not everyone does so to mislead or pose per say.... Unfortunately there are probably more people out there that would ... That is sad...
I remember that cool tribute GT.

But I meant that somewhere down the line it could be misrepresented as something it's not. 2 or 3 owners later... should it even survive that long.

Of course we're still waiting to see if plastic-bumpered cars will ever become as collectible as 60's muscle cars. The Trans-Ams seem to be doing well...
Old 10-31-2012, 07:53 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Sadly that's actually true Orion... I remember seeing my former car attempted be sold on eBay a while back by the new owner.. He was calling it a rare Shelby...
I sent him a message to not lie and misrepresent as I didn't when I sold to him... I then reported his ad to eBay...he fixed it... Don't know if he ever sold it...
Old 10-31-2012, 07:47 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

I think misbadging a vehicle is ridiculous for multiple reasons. That being said, I don't pay your monthly payment. Do what makes you happy. I know I don't ask myself what others think when I mod my Mustang. I could care less because in the end, I am paying for it and I'm the one that should enjoy it. It is nice when people think your mods are tasteful though, I will say that.

Quick Reply: How Would You Feel...