Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

How Would You Feel...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 06:02 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Orion_240
But I meant that somewhere down the line it could be misrepresented as something it's not. 2 or 3 owners later... should it even survive that long.
I'm not concerned with what future owners might or might not do.

I guess I should update everyone. I went ahead and put the letters on it. It's been in two car shows since then, and I won a trophy in one of them. I registered as a Shelby Tribute, and in both shows, people couldn't believe it was a V6 (as if a V6 isn't capable of being - or shouldn't be - modded at all).

In the bigger of the two shows (over 400 cars), mine was one of two V6 Mustangs.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:26 AM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

Hey, whatever spins your wheels! It's your car.

Personally, I wouldn't do it.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:55 AM
Cristoff
2nd Gear Member

Personally I applaud anyone that wants to make their car their own unique build - even if that means silly badging, an 8 foot high wing, ect. Some I admire, some I drool over, and some I simply laugh and shake my head at - but I respect everyone who has the desire and guts to be themselves.

Would I badge my car with badges that weren't correct? NO

As long as the car isn't misrepresented during a sale, I see no real harm in it. All it is is stroking an ego that apparently needs a bit of a boost. The truth will always come out when you "line them up" and the light turns green...
Old 11-01-2012, 01:21 PM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

just be prepared to take some heat for it being not a true shelby but its your own twist too each their own.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:13 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Personally I don't think badging a car strokes any egos in my opinion ., its a look .. Not an ego thing.. Oh well .. That's your opinion though..
But glad u did what u wanted to do OP.,, just note as I found out many years ago, when u ask a loaded topic as this u r sure to get negative responses.. Next time... Just do it without asking .. Just my opinion
Congrats on show wins too!!!
Old 11-01-2012, 04:48 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by cheftjpeck
Personally I don't care who badges their car and with what.. It's your car ...also when you say you guys that's painting a whole group with one brush.. Not very fair really.. Not everyone is **** retentive when it comes to someone badging or modding their car their way.. I say badge it Shelby... Badge it whatever you want.. I had an 05 tribute to my dads 68 Shelby gt350... Did it rub certain people the wrong way... I guess so.. But I truly didn't care ...my car my choice.. No matter what you do.. It really doesn't matter... Haters will always hate..
I remember that car!...that was an awesome tribute...and we all remember the threads about re-badging our GTs with something other then just that..mine is not a tribute and YES it is rebadged....I have never had anyone tell me they thought the car was fake or even had someone that was a "hater"...I have my dream car and made it the way I wanted and I know its not a GT500...but it is a Mustang GT with 500+ HP! hence the plate...MYGT500....regardless mine was a modern retro version of a movie car. If others did not like what I did then they never said it to my face!

Originally Posted by cheftjpeck;8084799[U
]Personally I don't think badging a car strokes any egos in my opinion ., its a look .. Not an ego thing[/U].. Oh well .. That's your opinion though..
But glad u did what u wanted to do OP.,, just note as I found out many years ago, when u ask a loaded topic as this u r sure to get negative responses.. Next time... Just do it without asking .. Just my opinion
Congrats on show wins too!!!
Could not have said it better myself!...OP to ach their own...do as you please...
Old 11-01-2012, 05:39 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I never understood the whole rebadge your car as one that is also available. To me it says "I wish my car was really this model and not what I actually got." I mean why doesnt anyone rebadge their car as a Boss, Mach1, Cobra Jet, or Twister Special? Or even clone the even more rare High Country Special.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:46 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
I never understood the whole rebadge your car as one that is also available. To me it says "I wish my car was really this model and not what I actually got." I mean why doesnt anyone rebadge their car as a Boss, Mach1, Cobra Jet, or Twister Special? Or even clone the even more rare High Country Special.
Actually I've seen many a person make their own rendition of a boss etc with badges
Old 11-01-2012, 09:20 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

I pulled the Cobra badges and SHELBY off mine and replaced it with Corvette, Ligenfelter, and SRT badges.

If those associated owners feel butt-hurt, too bad.

It boils down to their 'intent' with the badges. Most of the animosity over fake badging stems from people trying to sell classics that arent as classic as their badges and body work show.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:57 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
You must be living under a rock. If nothing else, the Boss is copied more than the Shelby is (as far as looks are concerned).

I don't know why you feel the need to understand something like that. I try not to get all caught up in the whys, but am more interested in the how's, and the OMG's.

I've got plans to build another car (and keep the one I already have)- starting with a 2010 V6 (I REALLY like the body style), and dropping in a dual-quad 347 crate motor/5-speed. And yes, it may even say GT-350 on the rockers, but it will have a different body kit/grille/hood on it.

No, I don't really want a 60's muscle car because a) you have to strip a car completely down to see what you're starting with, b) parts are getting harder and harder to get, and c) it's actually painful to consider taking it out of the garage because other people simply don't pay attention when they drive. I'd rather risk a car that can be repaired with easily available parts than something that is a rare jewel.

Quick Reply: How Would You Feel...