Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Looking to purchase 07-09 GT500, general impressions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 03:49 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by adidasUNT8
You just wanted the extra hp in case you needed to pass someone moving slowly on the interstate
Exactly!!!! LMAO!!!
Old 10-26-2012, 05:43 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

This is great!!! You guys have been a HUGE help!!!! I kinda figured I may have gotten flamed a bit for asking, and I suppose I knew that you guys would've been leaning towards the Cobras..

I do personally know about the mod-bug from a couple of my previous cars that I've had.. They all felt awesome for a little while, and then one day, either I'd go to pass a Vette or a Cobra (I had a DSM, an 87 Mustang GT w/ lots of work done to it, a 73 Fastback with tons of work done to it, and did a lot of work to a friend's Dinan-equipped M3), and the cars just wouldn't pull away from the challenge like I'd hoped. I figure since I'll also be a "poor college student," when I get back, most of the mods I'll end up doing will be with regards to suspension/steering, as well as the CAI/Pulleys/Tune/Exhaust for the next year and a half until I finish my Bachelor's. Since the car will be paid off, it opens up the floodgates with some additional money coming in each month that I just don't have with the last year of payments on my F150, which I will probably replace with something like a 90's era Ranger or something in that flavor..

I've never really been into visual mods, however that Cervinis hood looks pretty f-cking awesome, and I may be shopping around for some new shoes, as I like the factory wheels, but wanna put a little more meat out back..

Thanks again guys, this has been EXTREMELY helpful!!

BTW: I was wondering why I hadn't really seen an FAQ for the GT500s in the Shelby section, or a sticky with common parts/questions.. Is it because there just aren't a ton of GT500 owners on the boards, or is it because there are really only a few perfectly designed mod paths that folks follow because of their success??

Also, have you guys heard of any centri-blower kits for the car that are good, or are most guys just sticking with the roots-style because of the ease of install?? I only ask because I always figured that Air-to-Air FMICs were some of the best bang-for-your-buck for getting a more efficient charge out of the blowers.. Not sure how efficient the water-coolers are, as I've never used them before..

JT
Old 10-26-2012, 09:23 AM
mcate
2nd Gear Member

I'm late in this thread, but I'll chime in anyhow. I've owned 7 Mustangs, & I only recently picked up my '09 GT500. I positively LOVE the car! Never owned a Cobra, but I did own a pair of '03 Mach 1's. The S197 is way more roomy inside than the SN95 was. If you're a big guy, that matters.
I just put a CAI & tune on my Shelby, & it's like a totally different car. Throttle response improved dramatically, & my rear tires have been rendered pretty much useless!

Last edited by mcate; 10-26-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:38 AM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mcate
I'm late in this thread, but I'll chime in anyhow. I've owned 7 Mustangs, & I only recently picked up my '09 GT500. I positively LOVE the car! Never owned a Cobra, but I did own a pair of '03 Mach 1's. The S197 is way more roomy inside than the SN95 was. If you're a big guy that matters.
I just put a CAI & tune on my Shelby, & it's like a totally different car. Throttle response improved dramatically, & my rear tires have been rendered pretty much useless!
just wait till you start doing more mods
Old 10-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by adidasUNT8
You just wanted the extra hp in case you needed to pass someone moving slowly on the interstate
I too agree!! and EVERYONE seems to be moving slowly on the interstate!!
Old 10-27-2012, 04:34 AM
shad2009
5th Gear Member

Ive been keeping an eye on this thread and have found out some great info because i too am looking into a gt500 next year...

To the OP, im from MA also and setup cruises etc all throughout the summer...check out the mass regional section...we have an annual get together the first sunday of may (this year was the second...the first year we had 20 ppl, this year almost 40) if you have your by then we'd love to have you join us
Old 10-27-2012, 11:37 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by shad2009
Ive been keeping an eye on this thread and have found out some great info because i too am looking into a gt500 next year...

To the OP, im from MA also and setup cruises etc all throughout the summer...check out the mass regional section...we have an annual get together the first sunday of may (this year was the second...the first year we had 20 ppl, this year almost 40) if you have your by then we'd love to have you join us

I would LOVE to join up with you guys, but I may not be back from my deployment by then, however I'm really hoping to be.. I'm already going to be setting up test-drives for the first few days after I get back, so if I can get home in April, then you can bet I'll be there!! Worst case, I may just meet up with you guys anyway, and see if anyone has any leads.. I'm seriously willing to travel to anywhere in the U.S. to pick the car up, and more than likely drive it home from there, so there isn't much I won't do to get this car now!!!

Some folks have called it impulsive, and other say it's because I'm nearing mid-life (I'm in my 30's, not 40's).. I think it's just a great idea.. I don't see too many negatives of the purchase, and I'll finally have another Mustang that I've wanted so bad since I had to get rid of my last one; a mistake I won't repeat..

You guys have got me sold!!!

JT
Old 10-28-2012, 04:54 PM
shad2009
5th Gear Member

If you want, i can have my dealership purchase a shelby and have them bring it here when you agree to the numbers etc...that way you dont have to drive if its far away
Old 10-30-2012, 10:11 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Like TJ (cheftjpeck) I went from a 2005 Supercharged Mustang GT to a 2008 GT500....but then I got rid of the GT500 and got the 2003 Cobra you see in my sig.

My impressions, from a non-daily driver's perspective, I really like the Cobra more.

What I've learned about each...the GT500 is definitely more superior as a "new, stock, car" than the 03/04 Cobra. The GT500 is set up for gobs of power, boost...whatever. It was build to run! The 03/04 Cobra apparently has a weak point everytime you increase the horsepower. So if you're comparing each from stcok, the GT500 is more ready to accept whatever you throw at it. As far as handling, I truly feel that the 03/04 Cobra has that one...plus weight. The GT500 is a freakin pig compared to the 03/04 Cobra...plus I love being able to drive the crap out of the Cobra and see my gas go further than what it did in the GT500....my GT500 must have had a gas leak or something, because I was always filling up, LOL!!

Both cars are awesome, just depends on what your plans are!

Good Luck!!

Here's a pic of my old GT500
Name:  InjectedShow-10.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  81.4 KB
Old 10-30-2012, 09:24 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

My 07 GT500 is my fifth mustang and by far the best I've owned. Its still stock after owning it for 4 months but I love driving it every single day. I've had 2 97 (v6 coupe and vert GT), an 06GT with lots of bolt on action, and '10GT with suspension and supercharger. The 10 was a great car, but the Shelby exceeds it in virtually every department. Plus you can easily swap out the head unit for some serious sound without having to blow an extra 500 bucks on an aftermarket center console panel like you'd have to with the 10+!

PS - I just bought an 09 F150 and I gotta tell you...it's funny thinking that the pickup is the economy car! But you gotta pay to play! Still worth it!

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase 07-09 GT500, general impressions...