Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

13 to 1 air/fuel safe on Saleen 475hp kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 12:45 PM
billg

Default 13 to 1 air/fuel safe on Saleen 475hp kit?

I just got the Saleen 475 hp upgrade kit from Saleen, and it has a 13 to 1 air/fuel ratio in the canned tune from Saleen. Is that safe for a daily driver car? Saleen says it is.I thought it should be in the 12's or lower.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:06 PM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 13 to 1 air/fuel safe on Saleen 475hp kit?

ORIGINAL: billgreenthal
I just got the Saleen 475 hp upgrade kit from Saleen, and it has a 13 to 1 air/fuel ratio in the canned tune from Saleen. Is that safe for a daily driver car? Saleen says it is.I thought it should be in the 12's or lower.
As a preliminary point, where was the sniffer placed to take your A/F measurement? Did you weld a bung onto the exhaust to place the sniffer in, were the measurements taken at the exhaust pipe, or were they taken by simply removing an O2 sensor and sticking in there? The reason I ask is that Ihave heard that the latter 2 methods do not provide sufficiently accurate A/F ratio readings.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:39 PM
billg

I have no idea how the test was done. It showed the a/f ratio on my dynojet readout, and both the tuner and the Saleen factory state that 13 to 1 is fine, and they have had no problems with ratio. I always thought the ratio should be in the 12's or lower, but I'm not technically knowledgeable. I just don't want to run too lean!
Old 12-12-2007, 03:00 PM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: billgreenthal

I have no idea how the test was done. It showed the a/f ratio on my dynojet readout, and both the tuner and the Saleen factory state that 13 to 1 is fine, and they have had no problems with ratio. I always thought the ratio should be in the 12's or lower, but I'm not technically knowledgeable. I just don't want to run too lean!
elburrito has a good point. The guy that tuned my car measures exhaust before the cats to get a more accurate reading. If they did the same thing then it would read higher. mine read an average of about 13 something....but would be equivalent to 11.7 after the back.

You could always have a shop check it out and get their opinion.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:50 PM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: eviligloo
The guy that tuned my car measures exhaust before the cats to get a more accurate reading. If they did the same thing then it would read higher. mine read an average of about 13 something....but would be equivalent to 11.7 after the back.
If its 13 before the cats, the 13 number should be higher after the cats.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Jonsey
4th Gear Member

I think 13 to 1 is too high but thats my opinion.

I will not weld anything onto the exhaust to get a reading as that voids the emmissions warranty and in California I will not risk it. There are too many guys with both the tail pipe and o2 bungs both being measured that are 13+. I find it hard to beleive that it would make a 1+ difference by welding that piece on versus the other methods.

Saleen will warrant it so drive it and if it causes an issue then take it in for a warranty battle.

JDM says 11.8-12 is what they tune for. Thus why I have ordered their kit and will install it before the spring. I will post results of that tune too.

All of this is just my 2 cents. Others will disagree.

Enjoy the car, it is truly a blast to own!
Old 12-12-2007, 07:55 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

Thats interesting! You should be seeing around 12 to 11.8 with the 475kit. Saleen has this kit commanded for a 12.0 afr. You will be "lean" in the the lower rpm range (2500-3500, starting at around 1000rpm on the dyno wot)......going from closed to open loop. Saleen does not remove the Ford factory delay! Reading from the tailpipe is pretty accurate at higher rpms.....4K +. At this point, the cats don't have have for the burn/chemical reaction. The exhaust flow is to fast.

what were the hp/tq #s? I have not seen any repeatabilty in the saleen tunes....year to year!!

Did you just install it andput it righ on the dyno?

Casey
Old 12-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Jonsey
4th Gear Member

Casey, I keep being told the same thing. The problem is NONE of the dyno reuslts from anyone backs this claim up. I want to beleive it but the evidence says otherwise. If you can shed light I would appreciate it. I am committed to the new JDM tune for 2008 but it would be nice to put the discrepency to rest.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:10 PM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

With a DashHawk you can see what the car's o2 sensors see.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Jonsey
4th Gear Member

Even JDM's website states the tune will run lean due to the vacuum lines.

Quick Reply: 13 to 1 air/fuel safe on Saleen 475hp kit?