Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Saleen Series V (2.3L) versus Kenne Bell 2.2L

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 01:57 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Saleen Series V (2.3L) versus Kenne Bell 2.2L

I have some more questions, if you have still more time:
1. Do you think that the Series V kit's intake manifold is exactly like the S-281-E intake manifold? In other words, do you think that Saleen did something special to it (porting) before putting it on the S-281-E?
2. How did the blower sound when you were just cruising around? Could you hear it?
3. Does the blower have a bypass valve, so that it only boosts when you go 1/2 WOT or something like that? In other words, did the boost gradually increase as you increased the throttle?
4. Did you fix those gaps in your intake manifold? If so, did you fix those gaps yourself, or did you pay someone else to do it? Chicane?
5. Do the gaps cause some of the air to not get cooled, because the air can go directly from the blower to the intake, without going through the intercooler? Or were the gaps actually letting in outside air, air that did not have to go through the MAF sensor?
6. Do you recommend that I buy directly from Saleen, or should I buy from one of those vendors that I listed in my initial post?
7. Did you actually get a dyno when it was making 550 rwhp? What torque was it making? What was the torque curve like? Was it a typical twin screw torque curve, with nearly full torque and full boost at 2000 rpm?
1.) Not on the intake. No special porting was done. That won't be an issue.
2.) The only time you can hear the blower cruising around is when you load the engine up.
3.) It does have a bypass, and will only make boost when the motor gets loaded up. i.e., when you get on it. You can take it to 6500 rpms without seeing any boost, as long as you are smooth on the throttle and don't floor it.
4.) I did seal the gaps myself
5.) The problem the gaps present is a loss of boost pressure once the boost gets high-ish, around 13-14 psi. Filling the gaps allows for higher boost applications.
6.) I would certainly call Saleen about it. I think that they just lowered the price to 5k, but you'll have to check it out for sure. I would certainly buy it from Saleen, if at all possible.
7.) The car was making just about 550 ft lbs of torque. Yes, I had it on the dyno. Several times infact. At the hit of the t hottle, the torque curve went through the roof. It was a very typical twin screw deal. I was making boost at the hit, even at 1500 rpm.

Tell me something, how much boost/rwhp are you wanting to make?
Old 08-16-2005, 04:02 AM
GHOST_OO1

Hello Birdieman4.

Thanks for answering so many questions. It's been a big help.

That would be cool if the V only costs 5K.

I'm hoping to make as much rwhp and torque as possible, on 91 octane.

My hope is that I can run a large pulley when I'm just driving around on the street, and then maybe switch to a smaller pulley at the track, put in some 100+ octane gas, and have fun at the track.

However, my biggest priority is to make as much rwhp and torque as possible, on the street, with 91 octane. Even if I could get 380 rwhp on 91 octane, that would be very cool, and would be comparable to what the 1.7L KB could do. I noticed that the S-281-E was engineered to run on 91 octane, and was making 445 bhp (or about 380 rwhp, I guess):
http://www.texasperformanceford.com/s281x_specs.asp

What I really like about the V is that it has so much potential, which I hope to use at the track. I guess I don't have a maximum rwhp in mind at the track. The more the better. 500-550 rwhp would be fantastic. 600+ would be phenomenal. The main constraint is that I still want to be able to put on the big pulley and drive it on the street. I realize that I'd have to upgrade a bunch of stuff to be able to handle that much horsepower at the track, but I hope to gradually do the upgrades, as stuff breaks.

I also like the fact that, in general, a twin screw has so much low-rpm torque.

1. What octane were you running, when you were making 550 rwhp? Was that on the street or at the track? Did you run it differently on the street versus at the track (different pulley, different octane)?
2. Do you think I can have the car tuned so that it will be able to run 500+ rwhp on 91 octane on the street, and then be able to switch to a smaller pulley and 100+ octane at the track and run 600 rwhp?
3. Did you have to remove the intake manifold, in order to plug the gaps? Did you have to detach the blower from the intake manifold?
4. Did you have to get your S-281-E re-tuned, when you switched to the 18 pound pulley?
5. Do you live in the Los Angeles area (that's where I live)? Do you recommend anyone in particular, for the tuning?
6. What color was the blower? Black? Polished? Did it have any inscriptions on it? "Saleen"? "Series V"?
7. Did the intake manifold look any different, externally or internally, than the Series IV intake manifold?
8. Did the gaps cause some air to escape from the intake to the outside? Was that what lowered the boost?
9. Is it obvious where the gaps are? How could you tell there were gaps?
10. Without revealing your sources, how did you hear that they had lowered the price to 5K? The only thing I found on the Saleen website still says 7K. Of course, it has an error, calling it the "Series IV" at one point.
11. Could a 25 psi pulley be fabricated, to replace the 18 psi pulley? Would it fit on the snout?
12. Do you think that the advertised 445 bhp is an understatement? 380 rwhp does not seem like enough rwhp to necessitate a forged short block, which is what Saleen says the kit requires.
13. Do you have any idea why Saleen is lowering the price of the V? Are they trying to get rid of the last of their stock? Or are they trying to compete with KB for the 2V blower market?
Old 08-16-2005, 04:21 AM
GHOST_OO1

Hey Birdie! I see that you're online again.

You may want to re-read my last post, because I edited it and added a bunch of stuff.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:38 AM
GHOST_OO1

As I looked at my Question #2 above, I now realize that may be too much to ask.

So, how about this:

2. Do you think I can get a tune such that I can run 400+ rwhp on 91 octane on the street, and then put on a smaller pulley and run 500+ rwhp on 100+ octane at the track? In other words, could I switch between street and track without changing the tune? I know that the KB 1.7L allows this.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:57 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

First off, I did all the tuning myself on my E car, and I was using 94 octane.

2. Do you think I can get a tune such that I can run 400+ rwhp on 91 octane on the street, and then put on a smaller pulley and run 500+ rwhp on 100+ octane at the track? In other words, could I switch between street and track without changing the tune? I know that the KB 1.7L allows this.
It is possible, but I wouldn't recommend it. You could run 500 rwhp all the time on 91. I would try to stay with one good tune first, then, once you have it running good, you could start to think about a 'second' tune. If you want to run big hp, I highly recommend a Snow water/methanol injection system.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:45 PM
S281E

Hey Bridieman,
about the Snow water/methanol injection kit. I have been thinking about getting one, but I have a few questions if you don’t mind.

Are there any corrosion issues that the system could cause? Maybe on the intercooler

Where did you mount the spray nozzle?

When does the system turn on?

What hp gains did you produce? And what temp was the supercharger on average with the kit.

I would appreciate any info that you can share.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:32 AM
GHOST_OO1

ORIGINAL: Birdieman4
You could run 500 rwhp all the time on 91.
That would be good!

I'm also thinking about doing all of my own tuning, using a Tweecer or something like that.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:31 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

www.snowperformance.net/
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...5&autoview=sku