Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

When is GT a "Saleen"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Dozy

Default When is GT a "Saleen"?

As I understand it, Ford drop-ships X number of GT's to the Saleen factory every year for modifications to be sold by Team Saleen Ford Dealers with a bumper number. No doubt, these GT's are now Saleens.

What about the car that was bought new by a private party and sent to the Saleen factory for modifications chosen by the owner? I recently bought one of these. The seller (a wealthy car enthusiast) did not try to sell me a "Saleen" but I'm not sure he shouldn't have. The car, a 2006 GT, has every performance upgrade Saleen offers. He did not change the seats as he wanted to keep the tan interior and he did not have the body kit installed as his wife tore the chin off his last Saleen. Other than that, every Saleen mod was installed at the Saleen factory by the Saleen techs. I have the Saleen manual documenting the mods, with the VIN number and signed by the production manager as well as about 25 photos of the build (the inside of the factory is pretty awesome, by the way). The Saleen techs even installed Saleen emblems on the car.

Saleen or not Saleen? That is the question...
Old 07-21-2012, 06:59 AM
tbar
2nd Gear Member

If the car was done by Saleen and they recognize it as authentic it will have received a number. Since the car didn't receive the full Saleen treatment I would say its not. You can go to Saleen and have just a supercharger installed or just suspension, that doesn't make it a Saleen.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:01 PM
Jim D.
3rd Gear Member

Dozy,

As tbar alluded to, only a car built by Saleen and at time of completion assigned a unique Saleen serial number (or often referred to as bumper number) will ever be considered a "real" Saleen and be included in the Saleen Owner's Registry.

Thus you have a Mustang GT with Saleen parts -- not a Saleen -- but it doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy its uniqueness just the same!
Old 08-10-2012, 11:45 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Nevertheless, hang on to all the documentation. It's an interesting story, and (I think) adds value to the car.