Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Mustang O/D Off Light Blinking and Accelerates Slow

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2024, 12:24 PM
Shanko

Default 2007 Mustang O/D Off Light Blinking and Accelerates Slow

What's up. I'm new to this Forum. I just picked up a 2007 Mustang V6 with trans problems. I have a new transmission solenoid block coming tomorrow and I just crawled underneath to check a few things before and noticed a couple things. I just got this car so please bare with me as I would be very grateful for the slightest help, personal experience, etc. After extensive research, I figured it would be worth ordering a solenoid pack which will be here tomorrow.

Issue is the O/D off light is blinking and Accelerates like it's in 2nd gear. Doesn't shift thru the gears well at all even after, but can get it to speed eventually. Doing my due diligence before transmission replacement since a lot of people replace the trans and it wasn't the issue. I put in the correct amount of fluid as well.

First thing I noticed was there's 2 terminal connectors spliced into some of the wires going to the trans and they aren't hooked up to anything. One right underneath floor pan and one on the driver side on the transmission. I've attached pictures. Maybe they don't go anywhere? Possibly grounds? I don't see any burnt wires as of now, but maybe I should test the wiring harness that goes in the top that's held on by a small bolt? It's the bolt you have to disconnect to drop the solenoid pack. If that could help, how go about that with a multimeter?

Old 05-24-2024, 04:35 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Shanko
What's up. I'm new to this Forum. I just picked up a 2007 Mustang V6 with trans problems. I have a new transmission solenoid block coming tomorrow and I just crawled underneath to check a few things before and noticed a couple things. I just got this car so please bare with me as I would be very grateful for the slightest help, personal experience, etc. After extensive research, I figured it would be worth ordering a solenoid pack which will be here tomorrow.

Issue is the O/D off light is blinking and Accelerates like it's in 2nd gear. Doesn't shift thru the gears well at all even after, but can get it to speed eventually. Doing my due diligence before transmission replacement since a lot of people replace the trans and it wasn't the issue. I put in the correct amount of fluid as well.

First thing I noticed was there's 2 terminal connectors spliced into some of the wires going to the trans and they aren't hooked up to anything. One right underneath floor pan and one on the driver side on the transmission. I've attached pictures. Maybe they don't go anywhere? Possibly grounds? I don't see any burnt wires as of now, but maybe I should test the wiring harness that goes in the top that's held on by a small bolt? It's the bolt you have to disconnect to drop the solenoid pack. If that could help, how go about that with a multimeter?

Those two " terminals" are most likely grounds. See the one with the bolt right next to it? Most likely that bolt is supposed to go through that connector.

The blinking O/D light is like a check engine light for your transmission. It's reading or has stored a transmission fault code. Most likely related to the solenoids in the transmission. You need a scanner that can read transmission codes to find out what it relates to. An engine code scanner or abs scanner won't see or read it.

On a side note, hopefully you ordered a Motorcraft or Bosch solenoid pack. Bosch is the oem for Ford and costs way less than the motorcraft one. Rebuilt packs or knockoffs will fail pretty quickly.

Last edited by Derf00; 05-24-2024 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-24-2024, 10:58 PM
Shanko

Originally Posted by Derf00
Those two " terminals" are most likely grounds. See the one with the bolt right next to it? Most likely that bolt is supposed to go through that connector.

The blinking O/D light is like a check engine light for your transmission. It's reading or has stored a transmission fault code. Most likely related to the solenoids in the transmission. You need a scanner that can read transmission codes to find out what it relates to. An engine code scanner or abs scanner won't see or read it.

On a side note, hopefully you ordered a Motorcraft or Bosch solenoid pack. Bosch is the oem for Ford and costs way less than the motorcraft one. Rebuilt packs or knockoffs will fail pretty quickly.
Thank you for the reply! And cool. I figured as much so I pulled that connector close. What about the one under the floorpan? I guess just see where I can bolt it?

And that's good info on the solenoid. I read the same thing, but went cheap because of the pockets at the moment. I took it to advanced and they scanned it and it came back with the torque converter something code as well as all of the solenoids so thats why I checked all the wiring and fuses. Before I went, my mind was only thinking torque converter code because the solenoids are common issue I'm reading. So when that code popped up, immediately ordered solenoid. The connector on top of the trans for the solenoids was fine as I could tell. Nothing burned. I'll find out tomorrow and I'll post on here so hopefully it'll help someone else in the future.

Old 05-26-2024, 08:06 PM
Shanko

Thank you for the reply! And cool. I figured as much so I pulled that connector close. What about the one under the floorpan? I guess just see where I can bolt it?

And that's good info on the solenoid. I read the same thing, but went cheap because of the pockets at the moment. I took it to advanced and they scanned it and it came back with the torque converter something code as well as all of the solenoids so thats why I checked all the wiring and fuses. Before I went, my mind was only thinking torque converter code because the solenoids are common issue I'm reading. So when that code popped up, immediately ordered solenoid. The connector on top of the trans for the solenoids was fine as I could tell. Nothing burned. I'll find out tomorrow and I'll post on here so hopefully it'll help someone else in the future.
​​​I had a buddy come over and he brought his scanner. To be exact - I got the Torque Converter clutch circuit electrical code (PO743) and all 3 shift solenoid codes... Just installed a transmission solenoid block and that didn't make a difference. It was one off Amazon for $130. Could it be that I just need a brand new OEM one? I've seen posts where that fixes it, but then after a couple days it does the same thing. I think it runs slightly better, but not when your at a stop and then accelerate.
​​​​​
​​​​​Transmission fluid is perfect level wise and there wasn't any shavings on the transmission at all. Like it was brand new. There was a tiny tiny bit, but realistically, pretty damn clean. Strange.
Old 06-05-2024, 07:44 AM
LauraMurphy

It is strange, Can I ask something?
Old 06-05-2024, 08:57 AM
Shanko

Originally Posted by LauraMurphy
It is strange, Can I ask something?
Yes. Ask away
Old 06-05-2024, 12:18 PM
Shanko

Default Update on transmission shifting issues

UPDATE-
Replaced solenoid pack and no more codes. Had to tighten the connector on top that connects to the solenoid pack. It Accelerates much better, but still shifts a little weird and the O/D light is still on. Will be replacing the speed sensor in the front of transmission because I heard mixed things about that fixing it even thou it doesn't throw that code for the speed sensor. I replaced the speed sensor closest to the rear on transmission and no change, but there's 2 more speed sensors so I will get that front one in and see. Any help or personal experience fixing this issue would be very appreciated.

Last edited by Shanko; 06-05-2024 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-06-2024, 07:48 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

UPDATE-
Replaced solenoid pack and no more codes. Had to tighten the connector on top that connects to the solenoid pack. It Accelerates much better, but still shifts a little weird and the O/D light is still on. Will be replacing the speed sensor in the front of transmission because I heard mixed things about that fixing it even thou it doesn't throw that code for the speed sensor. I replaced the speed sensor closest to the rear on transmission and no change, but there's 2 more speed sensors so I will get that front one in and see. Any help or personal experience fixing this issue would be very appreciated.
The car takes a couple of drives to get the shifting right. It's an adaptive transmission meaning it will default to a factory shifting map until it learns how to shift according to your driving style.

They're only one speed sensor. The other is a transmission position sensor.

How did the car feel when you shift it manually?
Old 06-06-2024, 11:37 PM
Shanko

Originally Posted by Derf00
The car takes a couple of drives to get the shifting right. It's an adaptive transmission meaning it will default to a factory shifting map until it learns how to shift according to your driving style.

They're only one speed sensor. The other is a transmission position sensor.

How did the car feel when you shift it manually?

It shifts fine manually. There's 3 sensors on top of transmission in line and I replaced the one in the back. It's showing that all are the same type of sensor, but then I think there's one with a gear bendix thing on it. Is that the one I should replace? Or is that one the same as the transmission speed sensor? I assume it's the one in front that is the bendix one, but haven't pulled out to confirm. It could be just a basic one like the one I did. Not sure. I looked up the transmission position sensor and maybe I should get that one? It shows no codes so it's weird the O/D light off flashes. Today the light stopped blinking for a short time and then turned back on.