Speed Density/Carb/SSP section This section is for the Speed Density or Carb vehicles, as well as Special Service Package 'Stangs

speed density

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:03 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: speed density

The primary reason for going to MAF was emissions, wasn't it?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:13 PM
shawnk007
2nd Gear Member

It was for more accurate air/fuel mixtures. Which obviously leads to, better emissions and fuel mileage. Also, if an engine encounters a vacuum issue or a MAP sensor issue or something along those lines, the engine is still driveable without too many driveability issues....
Old 02-04-2008, 09:49 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

talk to chevy ppl... lt1 cars are SD... and i THINK ls1 cars are SD aswell...

so there goes that theory
Old 02-05-2008, 07:50 AM
shawnk007
2nd Gear Member

Nope.....MAF. Why cant you just admit that MAF systems are superior? Why guess how much air is entering the engine when you can actually read it......??? Why do you think SD is "old school"??? But hey, apperantly Im talking to the "SD genius", whos a 19 yo kid who thinks he knows it all......so I guess Im not going to get anywhere......
Old 02-05-2008, 02:02 PM
nitrousd85
2nd Gear Member

i think most import guys who run a small frame hairdryer are all SD
not that we all give 2 ****s about imports but this is what i have been seeing
Stangbanger and dime bag my heads are finaly done wasnt the cheapest though needed different springs stem seals valve guides milled .10 i think mabey .20
cant rember
but the car should respond well
do either of you or any one else ever saw the nmra factory stock class
my brother and i have been thinking of building my primer pig for the class have to change rears going to a 4.56 and 31 spline and a new trak lok
putin in his new tremeck and spec stage 3 clutch scatter proof bell alum flywheel and fms ds.. also need to put the tail pipes back on my spin tech's weld in my sub frames and find a cobra intake
The F/S guys have gone deep into the 11's under the rules mostly contested tore down put back togather and foun them to be legit
i dont think lol no way can i chop it down to 11's but hopefully deep to mid 12's oh well
lets keep the SD tradition strong
good luck to all
Old 02-05-2008, 06:17 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Shawnk, Dimebag told me to tell you to stop being a dick.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:19 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shawnk007

Nope.....MAF. Why cant you just admit that MAF systems are superior? Why guess how much air is entering the engine when you can actually read it......??? Why do you think SD is "old school"??? But hey, apperantly Im talking to the "SD genius", whos a 19 yo kid who thinks he knows it all......so I guess Im not going to get anywhere......
nitrous... yes most high hp set ups(i/e real drag cars) are some form of an sd system, and i think that ur right about the imports.
anyway shawnk... its not guessing at all, its simply knowing whats there in another way, if set up right(im talking aftermarket now) its not a guessing game its simply a knowing game, basically it reads the incoming air in a differant way... stock sd vs. stock maf... YES maf is easier to work with... but hey some of us like SD...

and carbs are old school.... so i guess we should all ditch them too right?

and im a genius now? thats cool, i didnt know that.

yes im 19... i take it your older then that since im a "kid"... are you upset because i know more about this **** then you? if so its ok man, i can explain it more for you if youd like

its not a matter of thinking i know it all, its a matter of its what i had to work with, so i learned it... and if im able to work with it and do what you "cant" (not YOU, ppl in general) then ****in A im gonna do it

if you wanna talk about "old school" and how that stuff should be done away with lets get rid of carbs, sd, distributors(well all run individual coil packs, pushrod motors, roots blowers, etc
Old 02-05-2008, 06:24 PM
stangbanger87
3rd Gear Member

hey nitrousd85 aint that the class laryy russel runs in ?if you and your bro are running in it this season i am there .and shawn007 i am not 19 and i do not claim to be a genius , but dime is right the lt1 chvey's are sd my dad has 2 60's nova's with newer vette lt1's in them and guess what they are sd .if you are so hopped up on the maf why are you still running sd and continue to bash on us who are still running sd . far as superiority carburation is by far the best source for building hp.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:34 PM
shawnk007
2nd Gear Member

Ok.....Im not saying that SD cant be used in performance applications.... But there is a reason the switch to MAF was made..... Find me someone whos willing to convert their MAF system to SD, then we'll talk.....
Old 02-05-2008, 07:51 PM
shawnk007
2nd Gear Member

and i never said the lt1s arent sd.....i said the ls1 isnt sd..... but hey, i guess gm is dumb for changing to maf too......

Quick Reply: speed density