Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Pre- 94 Mustang 5.0 vs. 01 BMW M5

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 02:57 PM
Mpressed

Default Pre- 94 Mustang 5.0 vs. 01 BMW M5

I was heading towards Coppell on Beltline road this Saturday around 11am when I heard this loud exhaust up ahead. I see a black 5.0 Mustang with a large hood scoop, fat tires, and aftermarket exhaust. I sped up a little to catch up to the car so I could see if I there were any aftermarket gauges in the A pillar. To my delight, I see several gauges and a large tach mounted on the dashboard. We both pull up even at the light at Beltline and 635 going north into Coppell. I rev the Beast up to let him know I'm game. When I look over I see it's two kids and the passenger is laughing at me and my car. The driver then purges his NOS system as if to intimidate me. By the time I realized that this car was spraying, the light turned green and the Mustang got the jump on me. I immediately dumped the clutch around 3000 rpms that caused my rear wheels to hop a little and spin. I backed off the gas until the tires grabbed and then grabbed 2nd as I hit redline. By this time the Mustang was one car length ahead. I immediately started pulling in 2nd gear and when I chirped the tires in the 2-3 shift I was even with the Mustang. I look over to the driver and start to give a thumbs up and wave bye. What I saw next was one of the funniest faces I've ever seen. It wasn't from the driver but from the passenger that was laughing at me before. It was the "Oh, ****, why aren't you beating him" look. By the end of third gear it looked like they hit a brick wall. I looked in my rearview mirror to see that they slowed down and was turning around to head back the other direction. I guess they missed their turn in the heat of the race (I've done that b4).

I thought I was going to be toast, but I'm always up for a good run. The best the Beast has ran in the qtr is a 12.73. I have a lot of respect for American muscle. Damn...it' so cheap to make it run fast. I've looked into supercharging the Beast, but the kit for it is only 25,000.

The moral of the story...don't laugh at others...if you don't know what you're racing.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7076/Tr503216535.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-24-2004, 03:31 PM
fuzi0nz
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Pre- 94 Mustang 5.0 vs. 01 BMW M5

lol good run. that guys kids will always feel let down that their dad couldnt hack it why do u call yer bmw a beast? lol. look into a turbo more than a super, read all about why turbo is better in the pipes juice and boost forum

wut kinda mods do u have and how much hp?
Old 05-24-2004, 03:58 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

damn I knew m5's were quick, but... what have you done to it?
Old 05-24-2004, 05:03 PM
Mpressed

ORIGINAL: mdvaldosta

damn I knew m5's were quick, but... what have you done to it?
Just an Supersprint X-Pipe for now. Looking to do more mods when my checkbook allows me. This is my car on Beastpower under the X-pipe tech data.

There are quicker cars than mine that are stock. It really depends on the car, conditions, and mainly the driver. On the M5board I post on, there is a guy who ran a 12.63 stock[X(]
ORIGINAL: c0bra

lol good run. that guys kids will always feel let down that their dad couldnt hack it why do u call yer bmw a beast? lol. look into a turbo more than a super, read all about why turbo is better in the pipes juice and boost forum
There aren't any turbo kits out for the E39 M5 yet. I know AA (Active Autowerks) is working on one...but still in R&D. RMS is the only kit that I know of that boosts the M5 to almost 650 Hp. From what has happened recently to fellow M5 owners, RMS is a place to stay away from now. To have a fully custom turbo setup would be a lot more expensive. The OBD computer doesn't like to be piggybacked and most of the time working on the car would be spent hacking the diagnostic computer.

I call the M5 a beast because it is a Beast More info...go to that Beastpower link above.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:44 PM
iwrxit
4th Gear Member

i dont envy many people so i wont say it. your car is tight as ****. good times.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:29 PM
SilverBullet5.0
I ♥ Acer

i mean my mom has an M3 i dont call it "the beast"......

an M5 ran a 12.6 stock? So it could run an identical time to an 03-04 cobra (keeping in mind the cobra has a bigger engine AND a supercharger, weighs less and has lower gearing?)

show me some slips and ill believe a 12.7...... until then im sorry im just highly doubting that. Im not tryin to flame you cuz true your car is hot in its own "i have a nice interior and ill still whoop your ***" way, but i mean you came to the mustang forum so you asked for it.....

if you did run a 12.7 i commend you on being a sick *** driver, cuz ive ran into a few M5's on the street, and ive handed all of them their asses with my mid-high 13 sec car..... BMW's arent exactly EASY to drive well
Old 05-24-2004, 07:27 PM
Mpressed

Haha, I expect nothing less than to be asked to prove the M5's capabilities.

I have my slip at home filed with my S4's timeslips. Since I'm at work now, I'll leave you some links that show other's slips. Keep in mind, some of these are stock and some are modified. But a modified S62 V8 M5 will not easily put out nowhere near the power as a modified big block . A lot more has to be done to the M5 to get big gains.

12.61...sorry no timeslip. Has a couple of videos though. Still looking. Also Bluemax is a professional drag racer.

polshrk 12.73 @ 107.45

Just to show that these times are very attainable. Take it as you will...hopefully with a grain of salt. I know there is a lot of forum bragging w/o anything to back it up.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:29 PM
SilverBullet5.0
I ♥ Acer

nah man its well appreciated, and yes i repeat, you have a sick *** car. ever since i saw the transporter i wanted a hot *** 4 door bmw with a stick.....
Old 05-24-2004, 08:50 PM
Mpressed

It's nice to see an appreciation of all cars on the domestic side of the track too

Here's a short M5 video on AutoX
Save as
Old 06-01-2004, 01:29 AM
Stinger
4th Gear Member

When i lived in Germany i was introduced to the BMW and let me tell you i LOVED MY 528 it moved. I owned many BMWs but didnt know it could run 12s stock unless maybe it was German specs. My buddy had a 535 with AC schnitzer cam and headers ,sport trans we put in and some more little goodies. Im not saying A M5 cant run those times cause they can just havent seen american specs run anyhting like overseas cars . But goodkill none the less . But why come to a mustang forum and tell us that?