Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Cobra vs. STI

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 12:40 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Cobra vs. STI

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

ORIGINAL: sstang

ur car isa 13.8 stock, w/ ur mods and goood tires i would say 13.2 at best
No way he is that low with those mods. I would say mid 13's at best. A modded STi would smoke you off the line and keep pullin. It's hard enough for a stockterminator to be a stock STi, much less a stockN/A cobra.
I know right? about as hard as a cup of old pudding..... that underrated 90 hp difference accounts for something. come on man, properly driven theterminator is a half second faster than an STI.

also, alot of guys are afraid to launch their STI's right. they go too low and bog and lose quite a bit of time and momentum. a well driven sti will hit low 13s, but without that magic launch u are looking in the far end there. 13.8ish maybe
An ugly launch will put us all in a bad place. But I agree with you they depend on their launch alot more than some cars. I make My time on the back half of the track after the big turbo has gotten spooled up. The Sti's small stock turbo starts to run out of breath on the back half of the track. I do know one guy who swapped out the stock turbo for a 50 trim and his car is sick.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:44 PM
WRXtranceformed
5th Gear Member

The STi's top end can be changed with a simple reflash too. The fact that it loses steam up top has more to do with the stock tune and less with the actual turbo itself.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:11 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

What size turbo's do they run stock? The stock turbo in my car was pretty small but it still could make 18psi when it was maxxed out.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:29 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

I have about every go fast mod there is for the stock turbo: equal length header, up-pipe, downpipe, catback, boost solenoid, CAI, pro tune, fuel pump and meth injection. Going to a FMIC doesn't really do much for the stock hairdryer, I mean turbo. My car will hit 20-21 psi in the higher gears. The boost solenoid helps maintain it longer, but it still tapers near redline. My car made 315 awhp and 402 awtq with the meth. If I want to take the next step, I need to do a turbo swap and then I could hit 400 awhp with relative ease. The other thing that holds an STI back at the track is the stock gearing. You have to shift to 5th during a 1/4 mile run. 4th is more than 1:1 and 5th is less than 1:1, which sucks.

I am still debating on whether I want to go with a bigger turbo. Quite frankly, it is a fun little street car as it is. If I wanted a drag car, I'd look at something besides an STI. I do like that I can launch it hard on wet roads. That never gets old. And it handles like a cat with sneakers on.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:13 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

How do you like the meth injection? I have turbo toys on my skittle and that seams like the next logical mod for my car. With the meth injection I could run in high octane mode all the time. Instead of having to drive to a local airport to buy 100 octane gas for the toys to work properly.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:06 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

FYI - I am a reseller of 100LL. My business is located in Westchester County, NY.

The meth is great. It really makes a huge difference in the torque. I bought a 5 gallon drum when I did the mods and I mix it with water (I want to say 70 meth/30 water). I still have plenty left from the summer. I check it every time I take the car out, but I only have to fill it about every other tank of gasoline. I have two tunes for the car (pump gas and meth), but I always run the meth. The biggest drawback is if for some reason the system stops spraying, you have very little time (if any) before your engine goes boom. For what it's worth, I ran the exact same system (Snow Performance) on my supercharged Mustang and I never had a problem with it. I did have a few leaks on the one for the STI, but it was quicky fixed. I do believe that the shop I used for the installation has since switched to another brand kit.

If I were you, I'd do it. But there is always that risk.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:44 PM
WRXtranceformed
5th Gear Member

Meth for the win! Definitely hook that up bluebeast... if I was keeping my STi that would be the next step for me.

Bickety, swap your turbo... do it!!!! [8D]
Old 02-06-2007, 09:01 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WRXtranceformed

Meth for the win! Definitely hook that up bluebeast... if I was keeping my STi that would be the next step for me.

Bickety, swap your turbo... do it!!!! [8D]
If it looks like an MSRP GT500 can't be had until next year, then I most likely will. But if I can grab a GT500 this year, all the mods are going on that.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:17 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

I think the Mopar turbo toys would be some protection against the meth sprayer kicking out . The toys will pull timing and fuel if it senses knock. What kind of a horsepower gain did you get from the meth injection?
Old 02-06-2007, 09:23 PM
WRXtranceformed
5th Gear Member

A good meth kit will have safeguards to prevent catastrophic failure if the pump fails or there's a bubble or something. Just do your research before you buy and you'll be fine =)

Quick Reply: Cobra vs. STI