Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

R34 Nissan Skyline GTR (Stock) VS 3V Mustang GT (Stock)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 09:09 AM
WRXtranceformed
5th Gear Member

Default RE: R34 Nissan Skyline GTR (Stock) VS 3V Mustang GT (Stock)

ORIGINAL: pandaj

i witnessed a guy spend 65k on a gt500, i guess when you have a lot of money you go after what you want and dont worry about how you could have spent your money on to go faster. there must be a personal coolness factor that sells them despite the fact the pric seems outragous, there is always somethin better you could have got, but maybe not for that person, i no when i bought my stang, no other car compared, i coulda got a fox swapped the motor and been faster for cheaper but its not what i wanted to be shakin, guy who bought the gt500 probably an elderly guy who wanteda piece of history, guy who bought the skyline r34for america probably wanted exponential hype and rarity (if thats a word haha)and for people to look at it and say damn i've only seen that on TV.

i dont get what the point in saying, "he coulda bought yada for cheaper and it woulda done this!" lol we could probably do that with everyones car here
Great post! Couldn't have said it better myself.

People who are shopping for cars like that are doing it for a different reason... not because they're bargain performance hunters.

There's a lot to be said for driving a car that is rare and that turns heads like crazy. Some people care about that, some people don't. I know that I'm vain enough to care about stuff like that, so I'd probably be the guy buying the Skyline instead of the 10 second swapped Fox [8D]
Old 09-29-2007, 09:49 AM
wozz
2nd Gear Member

I think if you look at a sports car / supercar with sense and think of it as a price : performance ratio. Then you have missed the point altogether.

And the guy who said about importing citroens etc. My friend was going to export his Citroen C4...does not meet US regs so they would not allow it or something. And driving RHD is easy. Same as driving LHD here in the UK is not difficult either. The only time its a bugger is when you go through the drive through or car parks and need to get the ticket.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:50 AM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shifty711

ORIGINAL: 67mustang302

I think Skylines are way overpriced for the performance they come with from the factory
Well, I guess if by performance you mean acceleration. Everywhere else in the world, performance is measured by the cars ability to go around a track. In america, it is how fast a car can drive straight for 1/4 mile.

Booo 1/4 mile
what kind of car are you going to use the most while driving down the street. i mean lets face it people, the ability to have a hard turning monster is great, also the nice supercar ability of 200mph is great, but unless your on a track, you ill never use the car for its purpose, most public roads would eat your car up, or cause you to **** up, while taking the car to its limits. im not saying people dont do it, and im not saying its not fun. but the most useful performance car would be a drag car, because of red light racing. and thats why america is so hell bent on it. it started with the muscle in the 60s and has grew since.

if i build a car, and poor momey into it, provided i dont take the thing to the track, it would have decent handling, but most cash would go into the "off the line" to about 120mph. after that, theres no point. because im not going to drive the dam thing 200mph.

the car i want to build is going to be a handling monster, because i plan on doing SCCA and NASA events. but i doubt most americans take part in those.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:52 AM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rock36
They ARE NOT the mythical unicorn of Japanese performance vehicles.
+1
Old 09-29-2007, 01:01 PM
mustangfreak417
2nd Gear Member

throw stock wheels back on and smoke all 3 of em'
Old 09-29-2007, 01:30 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

My point about the Skyline is that it's NOT a supercar by ANY stretch of the imagination. An LS7 Corvette will easily handle the same, yet outperforms the Skyline in every other regard, probably even cost as well, yet there seems to be 5-10x the hype and hysteria over the Skyline as some sort of wildly performing 4 wheeled Godzilla than there is over an LS7 Corvette(ie the Corvette is seen as a decently performing American sports car whereas the Skyline is seen as some sort of insanely highperforming Japanese Unicorn). I don't possibly see how there could be so much hype over a Skyline that someone would be willing to pay a crapload of money for one, when they're a medicore performing vehicle and are not rare in the world(only in the US). That would be like someone in a foreign country paying $80,000 to buy a 98 LS1 Camaro, yeah they're nice performing vehicles but hardly some wildly rare supercar. And if someone is willing to pay that for a car of that performance level then it has nothing to do with that car, it has to do with someone that has a LOT of money and simply wants to have their way. "I'm buying that car because I want it and can have it and no one can stop me," ok fine, knock yourself out, but just because someone is willing to do that doesn't mean that the car's performance is actually worth the value paid, so people shouldn't act like it is. Remember this entire thread started about the performance level of the Skyline, and contrary to what common hystera believes, the Skyline is not that great a performing car, the only thing it really does well is handle nicely, but again, even a Corvette does that(they both have about the same lateral acceleration of around 0.95g give or take).
Old 09-29-2007, 01:45 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ModularMax

SKYLINES ARE NOT RARE!

INFINITI G35 = SKYLINE V35[:@]

i see 40 of em a day

nissian sells the skyline in america as the infiniti and will from now on, just a diffrent bodykit/emblems

i actualy think we get a more powerfull version then japan
we are talking about the GT-R and the new one is gonna wipe the floor with the current z06 i can tell you that comletely confident. You guys have to understand that this car stopped production in 01, ran low 13's in a straight line and could run down 911's on the road course for 30k+ less than a 911. Plus it was a four seater and was fairly luxurious. It was an UNBELIEVABLE car for the money when it was being made, that is why it gained so much popularity, just like the z06 is here. The new gtr is going to be crazy, and btw it is NOT going to be an infiniti (nissan GT-R is the new name). 450hp, awd, 7-speed, fairly light, four seats, looks sick as hell, unbelievable handling starting under 70k = OH MAH GAWT.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:52 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 67mustang302

My point about the Skyline is that it's NOT a supercar by ANY stretch of the imagination. An LS7 Corvette will easily handle the same, yet outperforms the Skyline in every other regard, probably even cost as well, yet there seems to be 5-10x the hype and hysteria over the Skyline as some sort of wildly performing 4 wheeled Godzilla than there is over an LS7 Corvette(ie the Corvette is seen as a decently performing American sports car whereas the Skyline is seen as some sort of insanely highperforming Japanese Unicorn). I don't possibly see how there could be so much hype over a Skyline that someone would be willing to pay a crapload of money for one, when they're a medicore performing vehicle and are not rare in the world(only in the US). That would be like someone in a foreign country paying $80,000 to buy a 98 LS1 Camaro, yeah they're nice performing vehicles but hardly some wildly rare supercar. And if someone is willing to pay that for a car of that performance level then it has nothing to do with that car, it has to do with someone that has a LOT of money and simply wants to have their way. "I'm buying that car because I want it and can have it and no one can stop me," ok fine, knock yourself out, but just because someone is willing to do that doesn't mean that the car's performance is actually worth the value paid, so people shouldn't act like it is. Remember this entire thread started about the performance level of the Skyline, and contrary to what common hystera believes, the Skyline is not that great a performing car, the only thing it really does well is handle nicely, but again, even a Corvette does that(they both have about the same lateral acceleration of around 0.95g give or take).
yea ok and what was chevy's supercar in >02? put the ls6 z06 against the gtr-34 spec v on a road course and it will get raped. the v-spec nur (which had a tune done by nismo, but keep in mind that isn't going to make a HUGE difference) held the nurburg-ring lap record for over a year for any street legal production car. That car deserves just as much respect as any z06, and if a z06 here was as rare as a gtr, of course it would be hyped up like crazy because it is an amazing car.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:16 PM
Timecop

ORIGINAL: WRXtranceformed

Well, the R34 was twin-turbocharged and AWD, giving it huge aftermarket potential. The newer "Skylines" whether they're in the US or Japan are not boosted, and are really nothing special when compared to their older brothers. Except for maybe that new GTR that is coming out, but that's going to be like $70k or something? I can't remember.

A buddy of mine imported an R34 chassis and is in the process of a full build. I'd be willing to put money on it being more ridiculous and more costly than any project that's even been done on this board. Custom molded carbon fiber body kit, custom transmission, custom block that makes the one in my STi look like child's play. The longblock alone set him back about a couple grand more than the cost of a brand new STI
[sm=jawdrop.gif]
The engine has been tuned for his single big turbo setup and a 250 shot of nitrous and hit 1175whp... on its break in hah! AWD, that much power and that low of a weight is going to make that thing unbelievable. What's funny is, he got tired of waiting for the build to be done, so he bought a 750+whp Lingenfelter twin-turbo C6 Z06 to play around in. I'm in the wrong line of business!
wow...so what line of work is your friend in, if you don't mid me asking?
Old 09-29-2007, 02:34 PM
WRXtranceformed
5th Gear Member

He's my age (25), and started his own engineering / construction private contracting firm. Personally, I think he's just blowing all of his profit on cars j/k

Quick Reply: R34 Nissan Skyline GTR (Stock) VS 3V Mustang GT (Stock)