Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

definition of powershift

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 12:32 PM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: definition of powershift

ORIGINAL: cacimar

ORIGINAL: JD1969

Not this again
Go ahead and try shift without the clutch, see what happens.
kuakuakua [sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif] this is a good one jd
well let's see. if you're talking about when I'm running my car hard, never done that one.

around town. yeah, all the time. not really that hard. besides I still have a warranty on my T45R from TDM [&:][8D]
Old 04-09-2008, 12:40 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

You can shift without a clutch if your just babying the car around the block(speed matching)but if you try to shift without a clutch at 6500 RPMs with the throttle to the floor your going to F*CK sh*t up. My defination of powershifting is to not lift off the throttle when you shift. Keep the throttle against the floor, stab the clutch in and shift as fast as you can.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:44 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

ORIGINAL: 35thAnni99GT

ORIGINAL: 99GTvert

HERE'S MY TAKE!!! WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! [ul][*]SPEED SHIFT : Just shifting fast, using clutch and lifting briefly[*]POWER SHIFT : Shifting fast, with clutch, no lift[*]GRANNY SHIFT : Shifting slow (one full second), with clutch, and lift [/ul]

I don't know what people are thinking when they say "ya dude you can shift no clutch". I had a friend drive my car for me for a test drive (I didn't drive a stick at the time...yeah I learned with my car) and he showed me, despite me telling him "That's great dude I believe you but don't do it it will break ****".....whatever.
uh apparently there are these tranny's that are are "pro-shifted" and exclude every other tooth or something and you shift no clutch. ever heard of them?
My bad, I meant to put in there on a stock transmission, not a pro car.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:46 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

ORIGINAL: bluebeastsrt

You can shift without a clutch if your just babying the car around the block(speed matching)but if you try to shift without a clutch at 6500 RPMs with the throttle to the floor your going to F*CK sh*t up. My defination of powershifting is to not lift off the throttle when you shift. Keep the throttle against the floor, stab the clutch in and shift as fast as you can.
i did it i ****ed it up
Old 04-09-2008, 01:00 PM
buster
4th Gear Member

ummmm.....definition of powershifting? a broken transmission
Old 04-09-2008, 01:09 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Power shifting you still use the clutch, you just don't lift on the throttle. I also wouldn't recommend this on your stock T-45 or 3650.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:15 PM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: amoosenamedhank

Power shifting you still use the clutch, you just don't lift on the throttle. I also wouldn't recommend this on your stock T-45 or 3650.
When I still had my stock T45 I got it stuck inbetween gears. Had to put both feet on the dash and yank back to pull it out. [sm=lol.gif]
Old 04-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: EaZy DuZ iT

since i have an auto i dont know much, but many people say its worse to powershift. In what way? bad for the car or makes it quicker?
I'm assuming if you don't have "proshifted" tranny it's gonna damage the tranny eventually. I go around town without the clutch sometimes, I just learned when the RPM's are matched exactly to the relative speed.

I just wanna know how racers do it @ redline.
You still need the clutch with a proshifted trans. The difference is they remove the syncros, and replace them with solid gears that have about a third of the teeth. It just allows the shifter to go into the next gear at high RPMs with almost 0 effort. It makes it virtually impossible to miss a gear. YOU STILL NEED THE CLUTCH. However, you must powershift it so the engine and trans are spinning at the same RPM's, or when you slam it into gear and the two aren't spinning at the same speed...You break stuff.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:42 PM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sidewayz6.0

ORIGINAL: EaZy DuZ iT

since i have an auto i dont know much, but many people say its worse to powershift. In what way? bad for the car or makes it quicker?
I'm assuming if you don't have "proshifted" tranny it's gonna damage the tranny eventually. I go around town without the clutch sometimes, I just learned when the RPM's are matched exactly to the relative speed.

I just wanna know how racers do it @ redline.
You still need the clutch with a proshifted trans. The difference is they remove the syncros, and replace them with solid gears that have about a third of the teeth. It just allows the shifter to go into the next gear at high RPMs with almost 0 effort. It makes it virtually impossible to miss a gear. YOU STILL NEED THE CLUTCH. However, you must powershift it so the engine and trans are spinning at the same RPM's, or when you slam it into gear and the two aren't spinning at the same speed...You break stuff.

Sounds extra complicated when to me it sounds like you could just stick with a syncro'd tranny
Old 04-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

It is complicated, and an absolute MF'er to drive on the street.

If you're good with it, it's worth probably 3 tenths on the strip.

Quick Reply: definition of powershift