Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

definition of powershift

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 01:58 PM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: definition of powershift

ORIGINAL: Sidewayz6.0

It is complicated, and an absolute MF'er to drive on the street.

If you're good with it, it's worth probably 3 tenths on the strip.

Yeah I've heard on the street since the gears are straight cut they'll basically pop out under deceleration since the only thing holding them in is the power
Old 04-09-2008, 02:14 PM
steele901
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: buster

ummmm.....definition of powershifting? a broken transmission
Been there done that...twice. never again. not for a tenth of a second
Old 04-09-2008, 02:18 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

ORIGINAL: steele901

ORIGINAL: buster

ummmm.....definition of powershifting? a broken transmission
Been there done that...twice. never again. not for a tenth of a second
[:-].....for a tenth i would've broke two gears, i will break anything to get better times.....
Old 04-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 35thAnni99GT

uh apparently there are these tranny's that are are "pro-shifted" and exclude every other tooth or something and you shift no clutch. ever heard of them?
It's called an automatic, and it's ratchet-shifted.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:49 PM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bluebeastsrt
My defination of powershifting is to not lift off the throttle when you shift. Keep the throttle against the floor, stab the clutch in and shift as fast as you can.
That's always been my idea of a powershift too. If I'm at the track, I'm powershifting. 700+ passes and have yet to break anything or completely toast the clutch.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:36 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TRBOPWR

ORIGINAL: bluebeastsrt
My defination of powershifting is to not lift off the throttle when you shift. Keep the throttle against the floor, stab the clutch in and shift as fast as you can.
That's always been my idea of a powershift too. If I'm at the track, I'm powershifting. 700+ passes and have yet to break anything or completely toast the clutch.
Almost correct. In addition to not lifting the throttle, a true 'powershift' is finding the point on the clutch pedal where the clutch actually engages. Specifically, time is lost on the strip in the reaction from head to foot, the then the reation of pressing the clutch pedal in, and then shifting.

All clutch pedals have a 'give point' where the clutch will engage and it's not when the clutch is pressed to the floor. Most cars are around the same general area, but to be perfect, you should find your exact spot. You press the clutch only enough to engage it while staying WOT. That is a true powershift and why it's a big advantage at the track for those who can do it properly.

It's also an easy way to miss a shift if you don't know what you're doing...[8D]

Sidewayz is correct, proper powershifting can knock a good 3 tenths off your ET if you are good at it. Takes some practice to get it down and then it's just reflex.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Sarge_13
4th Gear Member

FYI...don't powershift 2-3 on a stock T5. [:@]
Old 04-09-2008, 06:39 PM
tspence45
4th Gear Member

You'd need a pretty heavy duty clutch to powershift though, wouldn't you? I mean, my clutch isn't that old, and it's already f*cked, without doing anything really too stupid. It's just an OEM replacement though.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: tspence45

You'd need a pretty heavy duty clutch to powershift though, wouldn't you? I mean, my clutch isn't that old, and it's already f*cked, without doing anything really too stupid. It's just an OEM replacement though.
Depends on the car. My '99 Z28 clutch slipped from the factory with 100 miles on it. The whole set up from 93-00 was pretty weak sauce. Which is why they went to the Z06 clutch set up in '01.

Mustangs have always had a pretty stout clutch in them. I've had stock Mustang clutches with a ton of miles on them, and you could hammer gears as hard as you wanted, they didn't slip.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:54 PM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

I was pretty surprised that the stock replacement clutch in the SVO has lasted as long as it has. With well over 700 passes, powershifting every time (on astock T-5), and as my DD it still isn't completely toast yet 2 years later. And I definitely have substantially more power than a stock SVO too. I just look at the extra wear and tear as part of the price to play the game.

Quick Reply: definition of powershift