Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

definition of powershift

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 10:33 PM
ninetysixyenko
1st Gear Member

Default RE: definition of powershift

ORIGINAL: JD1969

Not this again
Go ahead and try shift without the clutch, see what happens.
what? i slip shifted my camaro all the time, do it once in a while with the ION, and do it all the time in the vette, so does my dad. he also slip shifted in the chevellle all the itme(so he didnt have to double clutch it)
Old 04-09-2008, 10:56 PM
Sarge_13
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sidewayz6.0

ORIGINAL: bacon57

ORIGINAL: Sarge_13

FYI...don't powershift 2-3 on a stock T5. [:@]
+1, It can't be done, my 3rd gear on my t-5 is the hardest to find gear in automotive history
You just need the right shifter. I can powershift 3rd on my T5 like butter.
I guess that was why, I never tried powershifting it after I put the Hurst on...[&:]
Old 04-10-2008, 12:50 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

There actually are transmissions that can be shifted without the clutch, but they're set up specifically to operate that way for drag racing, and are not the kind of tranny you want in a street car. Sequential gearboxes can be like that as well, use the clutch when leaving a stop or downshifting, but you just tap it to shift up, and it's all done internally with a tumbler.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:45 AM
ninetysixyenko
1st Gear Member

nvm, after reading whole post, i only slip shift around town, not while racing. same with dad's vette. but the chevelle my dad slip shifted all the time, so he didn't have to double clutch, but it was also a 650-700HP 396, so im guessing it was set up for it[&:].
Old 04-10-2008, 08:08 AM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tspence45

You'd need a pretty heavy duty clutch to powershift though, wouldn't you? I mean, my clutch isn't that old, and it's already f*cked, without doing anything really too stupid. It's just an OEM replacement though.
Depends on the car. My '99 Z28 clutch slipped from the factory with 100 miles on it. The whole set up from 93-00 was pretty weak sauce. Which is why they went to the Z06 clutch set up in '01.

Mustangs have always had a pretty stout clutch in them. I've had stock Mustang clutches with a ton of miles on them, and you could hammer gears as hard as you wanted, they didn't slip.

Otherwise, ScogginDickey would already have my money for an LS7 clutch/LS2 flywheel combo.
That might be my next setup...though the Stock Z06 stuff works pretty good...I have 73K on my factory clutch and no slippage yet!!
Old 04-10-2008, 09:48 AM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: S8ER01Z

You'd need a pretty heavy duty clutch to powershift though, wouldn't you? I mean, my clutch isn't that old, and it's already f*cked, without doing anything really too stupid. It's just an OEM replacement though.
Depends on the car. My '99 Z28 clutch slipped from the factory with 100 miles on it. The whole set up from 93-00 was pretty weak sauce. Which is why they went to the Z06 clutch set up in '01.

Mustangs have always had a pretty stout clutch in them. I've had stock Mustang clutches with a ton of miles on them, and you could hammer gears as hard as you wanted, they didn't slip.

Otherwise, ScogginDickey would already have my money for an LS7 clutch/LS2 flywheel combo.
That might be my next setup...though the Stock Z06 stuff works pretty good...I have 73K on my factory clutch and no slippage yet!!
I drove my friends Z28 with an LS7 clutch.. ZOMG!!! hydraulic action ftw! [&:]
Old 04-10-2008, 10:35 AM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BicketyBam
I've never powershifted any of my cars. I just try to shift as fast as humanly possible. I do let up on the gas. Maybe I will try it in the STI. The stock clutch is nearing death anyway. Damn 400 awtq.

I'm very sorry for your pain [8D]
Old 04-10-2008, 12:23 PM
tspence45
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: S8ER01Z

It's not a bad deal either. I think it's just $400+shipping for both the clutch kit and flywheel. I'm going to be paying close to that for just a stupid OEM replacement clutch kit and cheap Autozone flywheel.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:36 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

I had a proshifted 4 speed in my car at one time...it was an absolute beast while racing, not so much fun around town. Of course, I got used to it and could drive it around almost like any other normal tranny. I highly recommend it for a high hp car that wants to stay stick and still keep driveablitly. Mine was a 6 speed tranny with 5/6 removed to save weight. Although, I could have added 5/6 gears syncronized and still had dual overdrive....it was the ultimate tranny. I traded it for a built TH400 with tbrake though....

I've actually got an in car video of me driving the car when it was proshifted....just have to find it.

Oh yea, you still had to use the clutch, it just made 100x easier to hit gears.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:09 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

Please shift without a clutch while racing sir. I wanna see it

oh by the way, i used to shift without a clutch in my cobra while cruising around and sick of hitting that 1000lbs clutch every single second. You just gotta know how to do it and it won't hurt the car at allbut while racing slamming without clutch somebody do it please. hahahhaa

Quick Reply: definition of powershift