Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Vortech'd GT vs Camm'd GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:04 AM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

I asked a guy at my track if he was blown, said no but had cams and port and polished heads. It's crazy how much it sounds like a centrifugal blower.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:47 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

OT.....I read an article in MM&FF today and they swapped a cam in a S197. Gained 34rwhp and made 340~rwhp. Ran 13 flat @ 107mph yanking the front left tire. I thought about bolton...from my deepest of deeps.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:24 PM
NJShelby120
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AmericanSpeed
I asked a guy at my track if he was blown, said no but had cams and port and polished heads. It's crazy how much it sounds like a centrifugal blower.
yea, thats what this guy has and it sounds just like my centrifi at idle........ like i said, when he said no to having a s/c, i was like BS....... thats how noticable the whistle is from his car is.....
Old 03-01-2010, 04:42 PM
NJShelby120
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 98LS1
OT.....I read an article in MM&FF today and they swapped a cam in a S197. Gained 34rwhp and made 340~rwhp. Ran 13 flat @ 107mph yanking the front left tire. I thought about bolton...from my deepest of deeps.
hahaha, yea im surprised he hasnt came across this thread yet with a response...... awhile back he ran a similar setup to what i have and won..... myself and steedman told him if hes ever up this way, we would be more then happy to run him lol...... i meen cams are cool if you have a strict budget and maybe want more over just a inatke/tune but when you really look at the $ per hp ratio, you can beat some kind of forced induction...... especialy with our smaller displacment motors..... even the guy with this cam'd car said to me when we pulled over and talked "man, i should have just went forced" he also claims hes spent around 8k on mods/install to get the car to that point..... idk, im still new to making cars FI from NA.....i could be wrong lol......

Last edited by NJShelby120; 03-01-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Cams and ported heads with bolt ons you should have walked him but definitely your gears are hurting you. Go with 4.10s with your centri and don't look back
Old 03-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Big50
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NJShelby120
i meen cams are cool if you have a strict budget and maybe want more over just a inatke/tune but when you really look at the $ per hp ratio, you can beat some kind of forced induction...... especialy with our smaller displacment motors..... even the guy with this cam'd car said to me when we pulled over and talked "man, i should have just went forced" he also claims hes spent around 8k on mods/install to get the car to that point..... idk, im still new to making cars FI from NA.....i could be wrong lol......
I am with you. I almost went that route but realized it just wasn't worth the money in the long run. I knew i would do all that and then just want more and have to spend even more.

Originally Posted by Mustang_NTriangle
Cams and ported heads with bolt ons you should have walked him but definitely your gears are hurting you. Go with 4.10s with your centri and don't look back
Not necessarily, the op is probably making 50 whp more and the cammed mustang was able to drop in second do to the higher rpm range, which explains how he got the jump. Then he reeled him in. Makes sense to me. Your right about some 4.10's helping.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:40 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NJShelby120
hahaha, yea im surprised he hasnt came across this thread yet with a response...... awhile back he ran a similar setup to what i have and won..... myself and steedman told him if hes ever up this way, we would be more then happy to run him lol...... i meen cams are cool if you have a strict budget and maybe want more over just a inatke/tune but when you really look at the $ per hp ratio, you can beat some kind of forced induction...... especialy with our smaller displacment motors..... even the guy with this cam'd car said to me when we pulled over and talked "man, i should have just went forced" he also claims hes spent around 8k on mods/install to get the car to that point..... idk, im still new to making cars FI from NA.....i could be wrong lol......
Full bolt-ons, cams, and a great set of heads will get you to the same power levels of a mild FI setup.

It'll cost you about $6,000 in parts alone tho lol And you'll be sitting around 400-450whp.

BUT, all of those mods will also work as supporting mods for FI(except maybe the cams depending on what you get)

Throw in some forged internals, and a stroke if you so choose and you're gonna be looking at close to $10k. But at least you'll be ready to slap a blower onto that bad boy and make huge numbers :-)
Old 03-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

IMO, if you're planning on more than 320-330 rwhp after cams and bolt-ons, then just buy a good supercharger. NSR cams can be bought and installed with catted LTs for around $2k, but anything after that is getting into the same costs as F/I. I was quoted at over 3 grand for Cams requiring springs along with supporting mods (installed) and still would not being making much over 350 rwhp, if that much. You can get a decent blower, run a low boost (5psi), and make around 380 rwhp safely with a MUCH better curve.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:31 AM
NJShelby120
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
IMO, if you're planning on more than 320-330 rwhp after cams and bolt-ons, then just buy a good supercharger. NSR cams can be bought and installed with catted LTs for around $2k, but anything after that is getting into the same costs as F/I. I was quoted at over 3 grand for Cams requiring springs along with supporting mods (installed) and still would not being making much over 350 rwhp, if that much. You can get a decent blower, run a low boost (5psi), and make around 380 rwhp safely with a MUCH better curve.
So from these responses, you guys pretty much agree with me.... although ones overall plans for his/her car has alot to do with it as well and thats understandable....... im pretty much sayin if you have the idea of spending 3k for Lt's and cams, might as well save a few more bucks and go forced instead...... more hp from the start plus the ability to upgrade and make more power...... i got my kit from brenspeed for $3700 shipped. i installed it and i have the option of going cooled or meth for some more hp......also its kinda sick how over built a 4.6 3v or one of these motors is from the factory.... so why not take full advantage?
Old 03-02-2010, 12:36 AM
NJShelby120
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Big50
I am with you. I almost went that route but realized it just wasn't worth the money in the long run. I knew i would do all that and then just want more and have to spend even more.

Not necessarily, the op is probably making 50 whp more and the cammed mustang was able to drop in second do to the higher rpm range, which explains how he got the jump. Then he reeled him in. Makes sense to me. Your right about some 4.10's helping.
yup, i had plans to only make around 350whp with my car but when i started pieceing parts together to make that power i was surprised in the amount of money it was goin to take........ also, i could have went to 2nd but for some reason my clutch slips worse in 2nd then 3rd... thats why i was in 3rd..... usally the higher gears slips worse....

Quick Reply: Vortech'd GT vs Camm'd GT