Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Declined to race a WRX

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 05:49 PM
lostnight
2nd Gear Member

Default Declined to race a WRX

I just got home from work, the commute is all city streets, lots of stoplights. At one of the lights (3 lanes of traffic each direction) I was the first car in the right lane. A silver WRX pulled up next to me in the middle lane. The passenger rolled down his window and wave for me to pull all the way up next to him. He said "Let's do this." I recognized the two guys in the car, they live on my mail route, and they are foreign born. They might be from the Ukraine, or somewhere around that area. There have beeen a large number of these people moving into the neighborhood my route is on. They buy vacant houses, gut them, fix them up, and move in.

They seem like nice enough people, and a plus for me as a mailman is that none of them have dogs. The younger men love their cars though, and tear around the neighborhood like race car drivers. They seem to prefer foreign turbo cars like Audis, Subies, and VWs, also some BMWs. They all tint their windows very dark, they probabl;y don't know or care that Ohio has strict laws against darkly tinted windows.

Anyway, back to the traffic light. I don't think they recognised me as their mailman, they just saw a bright yellow Mustang and wanted a race. I do enjoy stoplight drag races, it doesn't happen often enough. But I have become more conservative about when and where I do it. Rush hour traffic on that stretch of road is not a good idea, even though we did have a clear stretch in front of us. But I take this route home every day for years, and I've seen cops hiding out in a parking lot nail quite a few speeders on that stretch. With all the cars out you can't see them. Also, my back right tire is low on air, and I need to order another insurance card. So when they said, Let's do this", I decided rather to explain why I didn't want to race, I would just concede defeat. I told them, "You'll kill me. I just have a V6. You have a turbo. Those WRXs are a lot faster than my car." They said, "Oh, V6" and put their window back up. They took off kind of fast when the light turned green, probably just in case I was trying to fool them or something, I just took it slow and easy, listening to my tunes.

I did actually go up against a WRX once a few years ago, at Kilkare Dragstrip on test and tune night. It was a yellow wagon. I figured I'd get murdered, but I actually beat it, it ran a 15.8, I ran a 15.4. Something must have gone wrong, I tried to ask him after our run, but he drove straight to the parking lot and out the exit. Must have been embarrassed.

I bet that new 3.7 Mustang can beat some WRX's straight up. I've seen times on them very quite a bit though, so it could be a driver's race. Oh well, that is my little driving story for today, most days nothing interesting happens.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:59 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

No offense cheif but most wrx's. Will clean your clock. You might be thinking a regular imprezza.

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 04-08-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:04 PM
lostnight
2nd Gear Member

It was an WRX, said so on the back. I know there is a NA Imprezza. That car was in front of me in line for about an hour, so there was no mistaking it. That's why I was so surprised I beat it, and wanted to ask the guy what went wrong. That is not normal.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:29 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Most likely he bogged the launch bad.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

AWD can be tricky on the launch.^^^

OP, good call on declining those boys. Better safe than sorry, with the traffic and all. I think you're right about the 2011 V6 Stangs. MT got a 13.8 out of one at 103 or so. Not bad at all imo.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Red Turbo Integra
4th Gear Member

Screw racing in heavy traffic. You did the right thing. Not worth it. I usually like to race at night, or at least when it's really clear in the day.

AWD cars are mean from a dig. I raced an STI last week from a dig. I am always amazed how they just take off like a bullit.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:25 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Originally Posted by Red Turbo Integra
Screw racing in heavy traffic. You did the right thing. Not worth it. I usually like to race at night, or at least when it's really clear in the day.

AWD cars are mean from a dig. I raced an STI last week from a dig. I am always amazed how they just take off like a bullit.
You mean Bullitt right? OP, ya +1 on not racing in heavy traffic...street racing + cop=no bueno!
Old 04-10-2010, 10:54 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

my buddy with his wrx sucked at launching his at first. In close to stock form he was running 14's all day then figured out the launch trick and hit a 13.7. Then he got stage 2(drop in, uppipe, tbe, stage 2 tune) and ran 13.3's. He made me respect wrx's lol.