Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Turbo 03 Cobra vs GSXR 600

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 02:47 PM
PSM
1st Gear Member

Default Turbo 03 Cobra vs GSXR 600

BACKGROUND

I got a call from my buddy the other night who wanted to test out his new setup. He's got an 03 Cobra that he recently installed a 91mm turbo on, along with a TH400 and 3.31's. It's got a built solid rear, as well, so he's building it right and it's coming along. It was originally ported with the 6-speed, then he put an 82mm kit on it that he bought used from someone, but he was having trouble with that setup, so he decided to build his own with the bigger turbo. He's only running 12 lbs of boost right now, so keep that in mind. We also don't typically run cars vs bikes a lot, but all the guys with faster cars around here know my bike is bone stock and I can do it justice, so they sort of use it to judge where they are.

35-40 START

First run we went out and he wanted to try me from my best spot just to see how things would go down. Best spot for me is around 35-40 in first gear, but being only on sticky street tires, he went from second gear and brake boosted since traction would have been non-existent in first. He hooked but unfortunately lagged really bad, as expected, and I just shot out a good three to four cars on him I'd guess to where he finally stopped my pull way up top. It was too late and he couldn't reel me in, though, so we went back to let his car cool down and find out where the best place to test it from would be.

60-65 START

We decided that second gear runs from around 60-65 would be a good gauge since that takes his traction issues out of the equation, so that's what we did...about a dozen times haha. We'd match speeds at 65, he'd brake boost and I'd tuck and honk. From the hit to the top of my second I'd grab maybe a fender on him, then it would pretty much sit right there through third and most of fourth. At the top of my fourth he would start pullin (130ish) and by the top of my fifth he would let off where his gears topped out with exactly two cars on me (just about 150). Every clean run we had from this speed went down exactly like this and it was freakin awesome.

55 START

We had one other really great run that was probably the best run I've ever had with anyone on the bike. It was sort of a give and take between a second gear run (his advantage) and a first gear run (my advantage). We started at about 55mph with me screamin at the very top of first (13,000+ RPM) and him brake boostin lower in second. I honked three and off we went. I shot out on him but not as much as a normal first gear run since I only had a split second before a quick shift to second. At the top of second I was maybe a car and a half in front of him where he stopped my pull. It stayed right there through third and most of fourth, where he started pulling back pretty good. Partway through fifth he was just crankin up next to me and exactly at my shift into sixth we were dead even and he hit his limiter. We both let off and exchanged a big thumbs up.

FUTURE MODS FOR HIM

He's got some 18" wheels with M&H tires he's gonna be pickin up for street duty, then he's gonna crank the boost now that the car's running well. Obviously once he does that it's gonna be game over for me, but I'll be very curious to see how it goes once he gets the tires and traction in first gear on his current boost settings. My bike obviously pulls a lot harder in a 35-40 first gear roll than a 60-65 second gear roll, but if he can hook and brake boost at his current power level in first, the car is gonna move.

Anyways, just thought I'd share. He had a buddy with him the whole night taking video and I know at least a few of them came out pretty sweet. Just waiting to get those from him.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:50 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

I call BS. Ju1ce was not driving, otherwise he would have put 20+ car lengths on you in a matter of seconds.

Sounds like your buddy has a sick *** setup man. I'd love me a Turbo Cobra...Then again, I'd probably rather have a Gixxer 7fitty as I already have my "Toy" car, haha.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:30 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

Sounds like some fast fun! Pretty badass cobra....

A couple years ago my buddy in his 500ish whp civic outran his buddies cbr600, '08 I think. I tried my best to keep up....... but I was in my ol Durango, lol. The hemi just couldnt quite keep up Im sure my brother will chime in and elaborate on the details of the car and/or bike

I think thats the penicle(sp) of car performance when you're running with sportbikes.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:32 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

sounds like he's around 550-600hp, he needs to crank that boost up. when i sprayed 100 shot on my '95 i raced my buddies 05 cbr600, and from 50-150, he'd take a quick 2/3 car lead since i always had to start in 3rd due to traction but i'd end up putting about 2 cars on him. altho i dunno how fast a cbr600 is, i always thought the gsxr's were faster.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

wow man that sounds like one bad azz Cobra!!
Old 07-26-2011, 09:37 PM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
sounds like he's around 550-600hp, he needs to crank that boost up. when i sprayed 100 shot on my '95 i raced my buddies 05 cbr600, and from 50-150, he'd take a quick 2/3 car lead since i always had to start in 3rd due to traction but i'd end up putting about 2 cars on him. altho i dunno how fast a cbr600 is, [b]i always thought the gsxr's were faster.]/b\
equal riders cbr 600rr is faster
Old 07-27-2011, 07:24 AM
PSM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, guys. He hasn't gotten it on the dyno yet but after those runs, I estimated high 500's based on other cars I've run from those speeds/gears, but his auto/stall chew up a LOT of power, so I'm not exactly sure how that will affect it. He does a good job brake boostin so except for the really low mph runs where he had to start in second, lag wasn't much of an issue that I saw.

People do tend to underestimate 600's quite a bit, thinking that they hit a wall as soon as you hit triple digit speeds. But the fact is they pull pretty hard up to 130ish, just not as hard as below 100mph. Once he cranks it up, though, it's gonna make crazy power and I'm gonna have to hop on a liter bike to play.

Last edited by PSM; 07-27-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

sounds like your buddy needs to figure out how to mod a termi.. sounds like a real POS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgK75DBtxlo

hehe.. i'm sure that vid was a race similiar to your 65mph race

Last edited by Mishri; 07-28-2011 at 07:54 PM.