Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Improve Stock Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 11:46 AM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

I'm not really sure. I'm only 19 and haven't had a great deal of experience with cars but from what I read my car tends to understeer. Or at least it leans the opposite direction I'm turning to fairly bad. More than I would like at least.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Well, understeer would be when heading into a corner and you are on the throttle pretty hard and the front end "pushes" or slides away toward the outside as your front tires loose grip. Oversteer, would be just the opposite. You get on the throttle and the back-end breaks traction and you slide, drift or spin out.

A small amount or more of understeer is considered by most to be "safer" and would agree!

If you have some understeer, you "may" need a rear bar. If you have oversteer, you may need to lighten the rear bar or possibly go heavier out back. If you DON'T have either of these, it is not time to shop for sway bars

Jazzer

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 06-26-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:48 PM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Oh. Well maybe it's oversteer then? The back slips out more. As I assumed pretty much all Mustangs did?
Old 06-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

The SN95 tends to have understeer and a heavier rear bar can be a nice thing, most of the time.

Have you done ANY suspension mods to this point? Wider aftermarket wheels perhaps?

Jazzer
Old 06-26-2011, 08:55 PM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

No... I could have if I hadn't put the audio system in it. But as of now, nothing. My sig tells everything I have done to it. It still has 17" wheels :/ sadly I believe I want to do more to my car than I have money for at the time being. But I like to take time and figure out what I want and make sure that what I do is worth what I put into it.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

If/when it comes time to do ANY suspension mods, always consider the following....

What are the ULTIMATE goals for your ride?

This is a question NOT asked of oneself all too often when the modding process begins. Suspension is VERY difficult to do efficiently and... just read the top couple paragraphs of my suspension guide and lays it all out

Jazzer
Old 06-26-2011, 09:56 PM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

What do you mean goals? As performance or visual? Or both? Because I tend to draw a lot and pretty much know how I want it to look. Performace is a little different as I don't know much about the actual individual parts and their functions. About 450hp and good handling is basically what I am looking for performance wise. Is that what you mean?
Old 06-26-2011, 10:10 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Goals = Performance

In order of what I like to see done...

#1 ~ Tires (chosen by the driver's needs, but decided by the budget)
#2 ~ Brakes ($300 or so will give you SPECTACULAR brakes)
#3 ~ Suspension that meets the drivers needs

Jazzer
Old 06-26-2011, 10:18 PM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Wheels and tires right now would be last on my list as they cost way more than I can manage right now.. although I want them most of all. Then suspension and brakes. I don't actually get to go that fast very often as the speed limit is usually only 55 and I have recently gotten a few speeding tickets. Oops :/ I mostly enjoy the fact that I have the capabilities of doing great things than actually putting them to great use. But wheels I have been looking at are probably going to be staggered 18" bullit replicas 9s and 10s. Tires.. Not a freaking clue.. They perplex me so..
Old 06-27-2011, 07:05 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Wheels are actually very easy to get correct, just LOTS of choices. Head out to Tire Rack or AM to name a couple and find something you like.

Tires are a bit different matter and comes down to #1 on my list above, so read it again. Then..... spend and hour and read choosing a new tire and focus on two things. The first being your needs as a driver. Do you...?

DD only
DD but like to get a good dig from a stop
DD but like the occasional twisty
DD but dig rippin' the twisties

Do you drive in lots of rain?
Do you drive in the snow?
Do you live down a 25 mile dirt driveway that is always muddy?

Tires are really not that hard to understand for a steet car, so read up a bit and get back to us.

Jazzer

Quick Reply: Improve Stock Suspension