Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Better place for suspension Q

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 09:36 AM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I'll put in another vote for the Koni yellows, as well as one for the Steeda HD strut mounts as they also give you about a degree of camber adjustability either side of center.

I'm not convinced that doing the suspension ahead of at least an eye toward the wheel and tire combination that you might conceivably run is the right sequence. For example, if you're going to run enough tire/wheel to crowd the wheelwell room available, that might just define how much you could reasonably lower the car.
Good point, I do have 19x9 and 19x10 in mind, however there are limited choices in that range, offset being my worry. A good set of wide 18's might turn out to be the best/safest route. Would like to push 245/255's in front and 265/275's in the rear, with staggered setup. (Thoughts there?)

The reason I was thinking suspension first was to get it 'feeling' how I want, then dress it up with wheels and good tread, but I do see your point (need to at least have a good idea of what size/diameter I would like)

I doubt that you'll notice much reduction in cornering roll due to the lowering even though you'd have dropped the CG. Problem is, your front roll center will drop faster than the CG does, and some of the extra spring rate in the lowering springs is being "used up" just to maintain the same amount of roll as you have right now at stock height on the stock springs. The kind of thing where you're buying maybe 50% stiffer springs, but only getting maybe 10% less roll, which I'd defy you to notice. It won't be as bad as in an all-strut car like one of my other cars, where the roll clearly increased after lowering with definitely stiffer springs.

To some extent, you'll be choosing between appearance and cornering "goodness", unless you plan to get deeper into this with some form of geometry correction.
somewhere in between, I'm more concerned with cornering feel than looks but.. We all want it looking nice at the same time right?

Just because I have this picture, this is on stock springs, Koni yellows, Sam's adjustable sta-bars, an out-of-spec alignment (the car came that way, so that's what I set it back to. Honest), and a driver who'd been absent from autocrossing for the better part of a year (me). Tires are "only" 255/45 Goodyear Asymmetrics on 18x9.5 GT500 wheels all around. A degree or so of the body roll that you see is from tire compression on the outside and loss of nearly all of the static tire deflection on the inside - and nothing that you can do to the suspension (including welding it solid so it can't move at all) will ever get rid of it.

Norm
Any regrets with 18's over 19's? (I'm sure more options to select from for one) Looks like it's digging into that corner pretty well actually, not too much roll going there imho!

Thanks Norm for the input, I will come find you guys in the handling area as well!
Old 11-04-2011, 09:41 AM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
GT500 strut mounts are fine. And yes, mine are popping like crazy, but I'll swap out the strut mounts and dampeners VERY soon. I need to wrap up my first UPR suspension test at Sebring asap, because it's looking like a supercharger might accidentally fall into my engine compartment over the next few months, and that needs to be the follow up test at Sebring. (We're going to log IATs throughout the open-track testing)

I didn't post a pic yet. Here's a GT (sorry, not a V6) on Eibach Pros:

And remember, the UPR/Eibach Pros spec out identically to the Eibach Pro Kit.
That looks very nice actually - with that setup as pictured at that height, what are 'safe' wheel diameters to avoid rubbing, and with that said, best offset to look for on said sized wheels? (I'm a fan of 5 spokes, not that 'that' matters really!) for instance if I did go 19's, what will fit in there well, and what offset to consider - 9" front, 10" back staggered fit in there ok? Better to stay to 18's for that sort of width and to have more wheel options? (Also save some $$ in the long run on tires!)

Thanks again!
Old 11-04-2011, 12:05 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JayyVee
That looks very nice actually - with that setup as pictured at that height, what are 'safe' wheel diameters to avoid rubbing, and with that said, best offset to look for on said sized wheels? (I'm a fan of 5 spokes, not that 'that' matters really!) for instance if I did go 19's, what will fit in there well, and what offset to consider - 9" front, 10" back staggered fit in there ok? Better to stay to 18's for that sort of width and to have more wheel options? (Also save some $$ in the long run on tires!)

Thanks again!
You're quite welcome.

I've got 18x9.5 GT500s on my car with 275/40-18s and they clear everywhere by a mile. Now I wish I would have grown a sack and ordered the 18x10s that I wanted, with 295/40-18s. I think there's a thread on S197forum about 18x10s all the way around and there is some good info in there. Remember, the Roushes come with 18x10s all the way around from the factory (I think they're +45mm?), and you know Roush wouldn't use those if they rubbed everywhere. I like 18s because tires are cheaper and options/fitments are plentiful.

As for staggering, people do it, and it's no sweat off my back, but I prefer the same size all the way around for handling balance and for the ability to rotate the tires front to back.

19s or 20s will fit fine and there's not a thing wrong with going 9" in the front and 10" in the back. The exact offset you use will likely come down to which wheel you choose. They don't always offer a wide range of offsets.

If you're into 5-spokes, I LOVE these Forgestars! (overlook the airbags)

Old 11-04-2011, 01:58 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Jayvee,

We have some very affordable paks for what you are looking for and it will definitely improve your handling. Below is a video showcasing our suspension on a 5.0 that will give just as good handling on your V6. Here is the pak that we sell with the sport springs and front/rear sway bar.

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-s...d-mustang.html

The Steeda strut mounts will also help in the achievement of great handling. Whether you’re on the race track or just driving it hard these will improve the feel of the car.
These mounts will eliminate any popping you may have had over inferior or worn OEM mounts.

http://www.steeda.com/store/2011-up-...ut-mounts.html

We definitely have some great choices to get you to where you want to be with the handling of your car.

Give us a call or use our new chat feature. And like always you can guarantee the highest quality with our parts and know they are made in America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_sna...yer_detailpage
Old 11-04-2011, 08:10 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayyVee
Good point, I do have 19x9 and 19x10 in mind, however there are limited choices in that range, offset being my worry. A good set of wide 18's might turn out to be the best/safest route. Would like to push 245/255's in front and 265/275's in the rear, with staggered setup. (Thoughts there?)
Roughly, a 30mm width stagger needs the rears to be 5 profile points shorter in order to maintain the same diameter. The 18" GT500 wore 255/45's and 285/40's, and 245/45's and 275/40's would also be about equal height. So would 245/40-19 and 275/35-19 or 255/40 and 285/35 also in 19". I'd keep that in mind unless you've got your own clear reasons for wanting to stuff the wheelwells at one end of the car fuller than the ones at the other.

somewhere in between, I'm more concerned with cornering feel than looks but.. We all want it looking nice at the same time right?
A satisfactory combination (compromise?) is obviously going to be a personal decision, but long story short the first inch or a little more of lowering doesn't give away too much geometry. In fact, there are a few reports to indicate that a minor amount of lowering can actually improve the straight line characteristics a little (and this even looks to be geometrically possible). But once you go beyond that point, you're only giving away geometry for both straight line and cornering unless you also get into adding relo brackets and possibly other geometry tweaks.

Those other things are why I'm still on the OE springs. There are a few things about the stock-height geometry that are too good for me to give up without a fight (or involving a lot of nonstandard supporting mods).

Any regrets with 18's over 19's?
19's were never under consideration. Still wouldn't be if I had it to do all over again.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-04-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
You must have missed seeing the "Handling" sub-section up in the S197 area. There are a few of us who are more commonly up there, but as you found out don't get into the 3.7 section very often (and I've lost my daytime access to this site due to corporate internet filtering, so I'm not nearly as active in any of the sections). I'd never have thought to look there without seeing your mention of posting elsewhere, and even then I had to go through your profile/statistics. You'll find Sam in the S197 Handling section, but rarely elsewhere (and he was out of town at an autocross during this time frame anyway). I've known Sam for about ten years, met him at autocrosses a few times, and yeah, he can be a bit, ummm, overly opinionated from time to time.
Opinionated? Sure, aren't we all to some degree? Does it get old when the internet peanut gallery chimes in their opinions (even when they are wrong)? Yep, and I admit that when that happens, combined with the day to day stresses of trying to run a small business, it might get to me. I'm human

Overly opinionated? I don't think so. Unlike many others who "sell parts". I own the company, and if I have customers who end up with junk and hate it, I'm the one who gets blamed. So I work really, REALLY hard to make sure that doesn't happen. I do the best job I can. And I can't always explain some of the stupid stuff others do or recommend, other than when you work on volume more than the hope of return customers that a lot of things become ok. Alternatively, there is nobody who does what I do. No other vendor has the track record I do, personally, with S197's and getting results from the suspension. Of course that's probably overly opinionated in and of itself. But I can't be doing too much wrong. I'm a small business who survived, and apparently in spite of my overly opinionated nature.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:19 AM
JiminVirginia

I didn't post a pic yet. Here's a GT (sorry, not a V6) on Eibach Pros:

And remember, the UPR/Eibach Pros spec out identically to the Eibach Pro Kit.[/QUOTE]

Great looking Mustang.

Jim