Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Tokico Blues....?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 09:11 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Default Tokico Blues....?

Im thinking about lowering my 01 GT vert this spring and have been shopping around for shocks and springs. Looking for opinions on the Tokico blues.

For Jazzer: My car is a weekend cruiser, no track time, but want it to handle a little better in the twisties..looking to lower about 1.6" Front and rear, mostly for looks and handling on surface streets. This car sees NO inclement weather. FLSC's and LCA's will be done in the future as well.

Thanks to all that can help me out!
Old 01-04-2012, 07:31 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Peep Steve doin' his reasearch for The Kitties questions

Unfortunately... I pretty much dump all the "are these shocks any good?" questions off to Norm... lol. I have not run lots of different shocks/struts, so don't have enough real-time experience with them. I did run a set of Tokico double-gas shocks/struts, well over 20 years ago and were not matched well with springs. They have changed a lot since then and cannot properly compare to the ones today.

Do a search for Norm Peterson posts in this section. He chimes in on shocks/struts regularly and had a nice review just last week, so is still on the Suspension main page.

Jazzer
Old 01-04-2012, 05:26 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Peep Steve doin' his reasearch for The Kitties questions

Unfortunately... I pretty much dump all the "are these shocks any good?" questions off to Norm... lol. I have not run lots of different shocks/struts, so don't have enough real-time experience with them. I did run a set of Tokico double-gas shocks/struts, well over 20 years ago and were not matched well with springs. They have changed a lot since then and cannot properly compare to the ones today.

Do a search for Norm Peterson posts in this section. He chimes in on shocks/struts regularly and had a nice review just last week, so is still on the Suspension main page.

Jazzer
Aww..Ok...I thought I could apease the kitty god but I suppose i havent sacrificed enough meeses yet...lol

So im looking for a chime in from the famous Norm...
These shocks come in a suspension kit, and i am unsure of the spring rates and such yet so doing my research. Ill look up some of Norms stuff and see what he has said and keep researching on my own as well. Ride harshness doesnt bother me too much, unless its so bad itll punch out my kidneys..!
Old 01-05-2012, 12:41 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

These are the spring rates of the ones im looking at:
F: 457-628,

R:177-257
They are progressive spring rates...Please help, looking for opinions here!
Old 01-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

For those springs, I'd look a little higher up for shocks - Bilstein HD's or Koni STR.t's as non-adjustables, Koni "yellows" for adjustables. "Blues" are essentially OE replacements with just a little more damping to compensate for suspensions "loosening up" a bit with age and mileage, and aren't really enough for springs that are that stiff.

If it helps any, the Malibu in my sig is running the Bilsteins, with springs that are over 50% so stiffer than OE up front and almost 50% stiffer than OE out back. There's a couple of pictures of that car at autocross HERE. Car is realistically driveable most anywhere that's paved or at least good gravel.

Give Sam Strano (site sponsor, stranoparts.com) a phone call to get more help with shocks than I can give.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-05-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:54 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Im thinking the STR.t's. They seem comparable in price...i dont need adjustable as it is just a show/cruiser, but i do like to take some corners...Thanks Norm! I found them at jegs for not too much as well,ill keep shopping but it looks pretty good.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

STR.T's are way better than Blues. I sell both. I'm not Summit, but I think you'll find my pricing to be quite good. And as Norm stated, I'm an active and participating sponsor here.... Summit Racing is not.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:38 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Well, I would most certainly rather buy from a sponsor of this site, no doubt. The struts and shocks will be bought with my tax returns. Ill hit ya up then. Meanwhile I'll cruise your site!
Old 01-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I will readily admit that the site is lacking SN95 and Fox parts. But I do have them being a full Steeda and Maximum Motorsports dealer, plus Koni and a zillion other brands. I'm just one guy and it's just impossible to keep up with all the stuff out there. That said, I ask you to remember that if you don't see something you want to know about, etc., please, PLEASE just ask me.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:31 AM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I will readily admit that the site is lacking SN95 and Fox parts. But I do have them being a full Steeda and Maximum Motorsports dealer, plus Koni and a zillion other brands. I'm just one guy and it's just impossible to keep up with all the stuff out there. That said, I ask you to remember that if you don't see something you want to know about, etc., please, PLEASE just ask me.
Thanks for the heads-up Sam. I will let you know for sure!