Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

What kind of shocks/struts should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:01 AM
MrPack91
1st Gear Member

Default What kind of shocks/struts should I get?

I am needing new shocks/struts for my car. I'm not a drag racer or anything it's just a fun summer car but the ride does handle awfully and I would like to go more in a direction that Jazzer has taken by making it an awesome suspension car vs an all out straight line racer.

What is the best bang for my buck (and easy to install for a beginner) shocks and struts?

Also, the car needs alligned it will randomly go off to the left or right cant remember but should I wait to have it alligned until after I put new shocks/struts on?
Old 03-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Are you lowered or plan to lower this car? If so, how much? Secondly, make sure that whatever you install, will be compatable with your ULTIMATE goals

If you are looking to go in the direction of a nice cornering Mustang, I welcome you to the wonders of what a well built suspension can deliver. If you anticipate that you may fall completely in love the the illusive "perfect corner", make sure you plan your upgrades to limit replacing things a second time. I actually recommend you do a couple other things prior to springs & dampers, that may help you to answer that ULTIMATE goal question.

FLSFC's
LCA's (Jazzer approved, of course)

These items will hold up regardless of how aggressive you may/may not become in persuit of the perfect corner. These are NOT what you came here to ask, but are what I consider to be the best place to begin performance mods on the pre-S197 Mustang. They will improve your cornering immediately and the FLSFC's will reduce rattles and door alignment issues for years to come.

what say you?

Jazzer
Old 03-13-2012, 12:33 PM
MrPack91
1st Gear Member

Thanks Jazzer, goal wise I really don't plan to ever race it. But I would like to improve handling for my own pleasure. I'm not in a pursuit to go all out and make it awesome like yours, but moreso find small improvements. Currently googling FLSFC and lower control arms.
I feel like this car is really a car for me to just learn on, it's a fairly good running $2500 Mustang that has enough that needs worked on that I can learn about how to maintain a vehicle and I think after putting a couple grand into it and hopefully really learning about it i'll probably sell it knowing I won't get what I put into it back, but i'd like to have a 99-04 which is my absolute favorite. I don't however want to jump right into my dream Mustang not knowing what i'm doing...which is why I have the 91. I'm literally as new to cars as it gets. (and lack common sense in regards to just about anything in the real world...so you can imagine me trying to understand cars.)

What are your thoughts on shocks/struts to fit my needs however?

Thanks!

Edit: I haven't lowered the Mustang, and i'm not sure if it has been or not. In my opinion it doesn't look like it. I don't know that I plan to either.

Last edited by MrPack91; 03-13-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

OK.... I really like the way you are approaching this Suspension is extremely difficult to do efficiently and a "learning" car is a great idea. The Fox Body can really use FLSFC's (full-length sub-frame connectors) and should be welded in place, not bolted.

My recommendation would be to get a pre-defined "kit" of springs/dampers for your car. They will be properly matched together and an economical way to go for a good ride and improved handling. I recommend no more than a 1.5" drop and DEFINITELY get some CC plates. The Fox Body can use some caster and a bit of negative camber will help in the corners. If you can afford to install a set of LCA's at the same time, it would be a good idea and allow you to remove the quad-shocks for further improved cornering.

I will PM Sharad of UPR and he can chime in on this thread. He is VERY knowledgeable and can work you up a forum discount on the parts I have recommended. Just do some of your own research to confirm this sounds like a good plan and that you don't just buy stuff some dood on the interwebz said was good (that would be me )

Jazzer
Old 03-13-2012, 01:33 PM
MrPack91
1st Gear Member

I really appreciate all your help Jazzer. I will certainly look into it I do have to be a bit careful with money right now since i'm going to have to replace the power steering pump, and whatever is causing the oil leak and my job is not stable right now. I will continue checking this thread
Old 03-14-2012, 08:49 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the compliment Jazzer.

You know, I like the Strange 10-way shocks & struts because they are very inexpensive for adjustables, and they can be adjusted in a minute or two in a parking lot with no tools. Feeling spunky? Crank up the dampening. Want a cushy ride? Turn em down. Super easy!

http://www.uprproducts.com/strange-m...-strut-87.html

http://www.uprproducts.com/strange-m...-shock-79.html

That said, you can't go wrong with Koni shocks & struts. They're a little more money and we don't sell them, but they are nice.