Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Lowering my Pony!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 08:11 PM
Nawwz

Default Lowering my Pony!

Hello, everyone! I have been on these forums for months now, and figured it was about time I made a post. I have read countless pages of threads on various topics, as well as the sticky guides, such as Jazzer's (very informative, btw!). However, I almost find this much information overwhelming, and my ignorance is largely understated, so here goes:

I'm buying new rims & tires soon.. Staggered 17" Saleen Black Rims w/ 275/40/17 & 315/35/17 Nitto NT555s, to be exact. Because I'm a reckless spender (and b/c I'm sick of the stock), I wanted to go ahead and upgrade the suspension as well! I was planning on getting Koni Yellow Shocks&Struts with H&R Super Sport Springs. Do it once, do it right! If it helps, this will be my daily driver, no track use. I have not yet ordered said parts, so feel free to critique my choices! So I guess here go my actual questions:

1. What are the suspension must-have's? I have CC plates, Subframes, LCA/UCA, Differential Bushings, and possibly a Panhard Bar on my list, but I'm not 100% sure if they're all necessary, or if I even have a complete list.

2. With that tire/rim size (and the 1.75-2.3" average drop from the springs), should I be worried about clearance and rubbing? If so, what can I do to avoid this? Will aforesaid size even be possible when modifying the suspension?

3. [I had a third question, but I forgot. If I remember, I'll edit it back in.]

Thanks in advance,
Nawwz
Old 05-11-2013, 08:21 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Yes I would do what you stated in 1.

The CC plates are a must lowering will kind of set the alignment off. So the CC plates will really help make it ride right.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Nawwz... welcome to MF's

First things first... what are the ULTIMATE goals for your ride?

Without knowing the answer to this question, there is really no way to send you in the right direction for modding your car. Whether it be suspension, power mods or tires/wheels, let us know EXACTLY what you want to do with your car.

Jazzer
Old 05-13-2013, 10:00 PM
Nawwz

I've been expecting you, Jazzer. No, but really, I'm glad you're here now!

I don't know myself, to be honest. I've always wanted a car I can call my own and be proud of, one people can admire and show off. I am lead-footed, I like going fast! But I doubt I will be anywhere near a track or drag strip anytime soon, nor has it piqued my interest thus far.

I want a car that looks good, drives well.. but without leaving a hole in my bank account (although I realize modifying the car to a certain level will require me dishing out some cash!). Does that make sense?
Old 05-14-2013, 07:00 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Sounds like you are up for appearance mods and that is OK

The cheapest route, would be to pick up a set of shorter springs to lower you down. The problem becomes ride quality on shorter springs and OEM dampers This reduction in ride quality, will translate to a car that does not handle as well as the same car with properly matched dampers (NVH).

How long have you had this car and how long do you plan to keep it?

Jazzer
Old 05-14-2013, 08:09 AM
Nawwz

I'm also up for handling/performance mods. Why have a nice-looking car if there's nothing under the hood?

I certainly want high ride quality. I'm willing to spend more money now if it means less spending and headaches down the road. That's why I was looking at the H&R SS, they're a top-quality spring that I have yet to hear anything negative about.

I've only had this car since December 2012, but I intend to keep it as long as I can!
Old 05-14-2013, 04:18 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I'd suggest koni yellows, these springs http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-e...prings-v8.html, and most of what you listed in #1 from www.uprproducts.com.

I've found that if you run lowering springs which aren't too stiff, along with adjustable dampeners, you can create a setup which corners well but still hooks well in a straight line. Tires, of course, are critical.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:18 AM
Nawwz

Thanks for the replies so far, everyone! I'm starting to lean more towards the Bilstein HDs Shocks/Struts to pair with my springs.. a lot of people seem to recommend this setup, whereas Koni Yellows are recommended with coilovers. Any opinions?
Old 05-19-2013, 12:16 AM
200HP/Ltr

I have Bilsteins..coilover setup tho..Been good to me. Also had Koni Yellows. Koni Sport "yellows" offer adjustablity, but I hardly ever changed them for my street car.