Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Lowering Springs vs Full Suspension

Old 09-18-2015, 08:16 AM
fcarpio

Default Lowering Springs vs Full Suspension

Hello all,
I just got a new 2016 GT and soon it will have a Ford Racing supercharger (I think this matters due to the weight difference). I would like to know what is the difference between lowering the car with springs only vs using a full kit with struts, bars and springs like the Ford Racing kit. I don't want to slam the car to the ground, I just want to make it look nicer as I think it is too high the way it is now.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:50 AM
fcarpio

Anyone?
Old 11-03-2015, 07:26 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

I can find 2016 Turbocharger kits, but not Ford Supercharger Kits!

1. Do you have a URL reference? 2. What is the advantage compared to a Roush Supercharger?
Old 11-04-2015, 09:17 AM
fcarpio

Originally Posted by Mr. D
I can find 2016 Turbocharger kits, but not Ford Supercharger Kits!

1. Do you have a URL reference? 2. What is the advantage compared to a Roush Supercharger?
The Ford Racing supercharger is the roush supercharger. I am asking about the suspension, not the forced induction.

Even though the factory suspension on the performance package is pretty stiff I still get the nose coming up pretty high when accelerating. Is a lowering kit going to help with this due to the smaller suspension travel?
Old 11-05-2015, 02:57 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fcarpio
The Ford Racing supercharger is the roush supercharger. I am asking about the suspension, not the forced induction.

Even though the factory suspension on the performance package is pretty stiff I still get the nose coming up pretty high when accelerating. Is a lowering kit going to help with this due to the smaller suspension travel?
Thanx for the clarification! Sorry to interrupt! I thought maybe there was a Ford Supercharger I didn't know about as I'm going to buy the Roush unit!

The front end action with a supercharger is one of the reasons I've asked about the easiest way to put a little more rake on the car by raising the rear. (But have gotten no responses) For the best ride, I'm considering bringing up the rear a few inches shifting a little more weight forward, rather than messing with the front end hurting the ride. I also like a little more rake on a car more like the '08 I had just for looks. Shocks in the front end that have more resistance on the up force travel might at least slow the rise of the end. There's a lot of torque there!

I also want to find a "flat strut tower brace" that will clear the Roush Supercharger. I needed it "big time" on on my '08 Mustang to reduce twisting the front end under supercharger torque. I don't know if that will be a problem with the 2016 with a supercharger & I can't get answers to these two questions.

Good luck & best wishes with a great Mustang!

Last edited by Mr. D; 11-05-2015 at 03:02 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:23 PM
Robertatl123

I am going through a similar dilemma with my car. However, I am using my car for DD and autocross.

Your decision will depend on your budget, what you are using your car for, and the condition of the roads in your area. By and large, you will most likely be happy with a sports spring lowering kit, but I would seriously consider getting shocks/struts that will better match the springs. This is because a mismatch between the two may cause overly increased NVH and premature wear of the stock dampeners since they were designed for the stock springs.

I would only get coil overs if you have the budget for it, if you're very particular on how you want your ride to look, or if you're competing and need to corner weight. Coil overs are a pain to set up and can take hours if you do it on your driveway. You also need to make sure your on level ground. The last thing to remember is that you do not want to lower the car too much or you will rub into the wheel well or hit the fender lips with the tire.

Both of these options should fix the squat issue you're experiencing. I've had both setups though. I had an S2000 with coil overs and my last Mustang had Steeda Ultra Lights with Koni Yellows.

I hope this helps!
Old 06-01-2016, 09:42 AM
fcarpio

Thanks for the reply Robert. I think springs and struts/shocks are the best way to go for me.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:35 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fcarpio

Any reduction in nose rise coming from the front springs is going to happen because they're stiffer than the perf package springs. Most of the reduction in perceived nose rise coming from the rear springs is also going to be because they're stiffer than stock PP (won't squat as far), though there is a small benefit coming from a small overall improvement in anti-squat geometry that happens when the rear of the car is lowered even if you don't go to LCA relocating brackets.

Norm