Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Lowering With Wheel Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 04:41 PM
robbysock

Default Lowering With Wheel Spacers

I have a 2017 Mustang with 2 inch wheel spacers. I was wondering how low I could go on lowering the car without causing any rubbing or issues?
I really like the widened stance of the wheels spacers but because the wheels come out so much, I'm worried about dropping it.
Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you
Old 12-28-2017, 01:20 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

robbysock, everyone knows I do not favor any spacer, in less absolutely necessary. Besides having to torque, and worry about, two sets of nuts, I have always questioned if the wheel bearings, and studs, are subjected to additional stress. I always recommend, and use, offset rims. In your case you would need a "negative" offset rim to bring the wheel out. If anyone has had a "wheel bearing issue," when using wheel spacers, or "stud issues," please tag it onto your reply.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:04 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by robbysock
I have a 2017 Mustang with 2 inch wheel spacers. I was wondering how low I could go on lowering the car without causing any rubbing or issues?
I really like the widened stance of the wheels spacers but because the wheels come out so much, I'm worried about dropping it.
Thank you
If you plan on dropping the car at all and keeping your existing wheels and "stance" you'll need to do one of two things, roll the fenders or widen your wheel wells. The third option which is an abomination to the mustang is to give yourself a shizt-ton of negative camber so that the top of the wheel tucks in under the fender.........

Regardless, how much you drop is limited due to the wheel clearance issue.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:21 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

robbysock, Derf00 hit the nail on the head. You can only lower the car,and clear the fender well, in accordance with your tire diameter and tread width. Anything that gives you a "negative" offset rim, brings the tire outward, usually causing the tire to rub the outer finder. There are a ton of different lowering combinations available through aftermarket vendors. I would call a reputable vendor and explain exactly what you want to accomplish, and how to do it, so you will be proud how your ride sits.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:28 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
If you plan on dropping the car at all and keeping your existing wheels and "stance" you'll need to do one of two things, roll the fenders or widen your wheel wells. The third option which is an abomination to the mustang is to give yourself a shizt-ton of negative camber so that the top of the wheel tucks in under the fender.........

Regardless, how much you drop is limited due to the wheel clearance issue.
Derf00, did you do any "oval racing"? I started laughing when I saw "roll the fenders." I remember, back in the day, when we always had a baseball bat in the car trailer so we could "roll the fenders" in case we got hit and a tire was rubbing. I really miss those days. Thanks for the memories.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:11 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by robbysock
Thank you
Why 2" spacers? I lowered mine with 1" spacers and IMO it looks perfect. 2" spacers will stick the wheels out past the fender (unless you have some skinny wheels or a crazy offset)