SVT Forums

Please dont Flame the **** outta me...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 05:02 AM
Tunerdude

Default Please dont Flame the **** outta me...

Ok, so heres the deal. I have a 67 camaro in nice condition. YES camaro, I have owned mustangs in the past and camaros in the past so I guess I am a swinger. Whatever. Anyway, I got offered a good chunk of change for the camaro. I still have to do alot to it, including a new rearend, its a weak 10 bolt. So that ill be around 3 grand after all the rearend suspension work. So should I sell the camaro and get an 03 cobra or stick with the camaro?

The camaro runs 11.5 1/4 all motor.

I know what I am getting myself into asking this question on a mustang forum, but guys be honest. The reason I dont want to go to the cobra is because I have the camaro paid off, and full insurance is only $50 dollars a month. Plus NO SMOG!!! I am only 21 sooo....

No camaro vs mustang wars here....I have had them both...I like them both....

Plan on going TT with the cobra. Serious answers only please, no elementary answers of camaros suck a$$ or anything. I am going into the Air Force as a PJ (pararescue) so the camaro will more then likely rust when I leave Cali. And I will need a heater and air conditioner for the weather anywhere I get stationed (which the camaro doesnt have).
Old 05-05-2006, 10:49 AM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Please dont Flame the **** outta me...

I am new age guy and like new technology.. I'd go with the 03 Cobra..

However, the maro will be worth more down the road..

Based on a fun factor I'd say the Cobra.. The power they produce, the joy of driving a new car and the over all slick look would do it for me..

Just my opinion though.. Wish you luck..
Old 05-05-2006, 11:14 AM
mg01svt
1st Gear Member

No flames here man. What self respecting car guy could show no love for one of great muscle cars of all time. Honestly, your dilema is one I would not mind having. If you have the room I say get the Camaro where you want it and then get a Cobra as well. You own the Camaro already so its not like you have two payments.

Have your cake and eat it too.

Good luck

Aaron

EDIT: I just noticed the PJ remark. I was CCT for 4 years. Kick *** man! Enjoy your training
Old 05-05-2006, 11:28 AM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tunerdude

Ok, so heres the deal. I have a 67 camaro in nice condition. YES camaro, I have owned mustangs in the past and camaros in the past so I guess I am a swinger. Whatever. Anyway, I got offered a good chunk of change for the camaro. I still have to do alot to it, including a new rearend, its a weak 10 bolt. So that ill be around 3 grand after all the rearend suspension work. So should I sell the camaro and get an 03 cobra or stick with the camaro?

The camaro runs 11.5 1/4 all motor.

I know what I am getting myself into asking this question on a mustang forum, but guys be honest. The reason I dont want to go to the cobra is because I have the camaro paid off, and full insurance is only $50 dollars a month. Plus NO SMOG!!! I am only 21 sooo....

No camaro vs mustang wars here....I have had them both...I like them both....

Plan on going TT with the cobra. Serious answers only please, no elementary answers of camaros suck a$$ or anything. I am going into the Air Force as a PJ (pararescue) so the camaro will more then likely rust when I leave Cali. And I will need a heater and air conditioner for the weather anywhere I get stationed (which the camaro doesnt have).
Question for you.. why are you looking at an 03/04 cobra if you want to go twin turbo? They already come with a blower on them and its pretty simple to get them at or near 500 RWHP very cheaply... If your going to get a cobra to go TT with, get a 96-98 with the teksid block in it and the solid rear axle. you will have to replace the rods/pistons but it will handle any amount of power you want to throw at that block. Infact you could do that for cheaper then you could buy the 03/04 and with lower insurance payments.

If someone is offering you a good chunk of change for your 'maro and your ready to part with it, go for it. Just remember its going to be a world of difference between a 99+ cobra and your first gen. The IRS is a totaly different beast when it comes to launching and takes some getting used to and some suspension work to correct the wicked wheel hop.

Its completely up to you.. but like I said man.. if your looking for a twin turbo setup, you couldnt go wrong using a 96-98.. the teksid forged aluminum block has been shown to handle 1200hp, the solid axle is much better for a drag setup and its cheaper to upgrade it then it is to do a complete swap from the IRS to the solid rear.. just pull the motor do a port&polish on the heads, new rods and pistons, valve springs, seals, etc and you can have a monster.. just talking 8 for the car 5 for the rebuild if you do it yourself, 7 if you dont, and 7000 for the TT setup if you buy an already fabricated kit (which is straight bending you over..) You could have the car and the full build for under 20k if you did most the work yourself..

Just remember.. the 03/04's have a lot more out of the box potential as they have a forged iron block motor with a blower already on it... but beyond the forged internals that's not going to do you a drop of good if your looking to do a full twin turbo setup.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:23 PM
CobraSnake
5th Gear Member

just like Mt Twigbert said i love all the new stuff so i'd go with the 03 cobra, but hav is right you should build up the blower or just get like a mach 1 and you could TT that.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:03 PM
Tunerdude

Thats why I was looking at the 03/04 cobras. They are forged motors to begin with and have IRS. One reason I am leaving the camaro and possibly into the corbra, is street driveablitiy. I am not looking for another drag car. I actually want a car I can take into the twisties. I also debating on doing a kenne bell, whipple, or TT so in that aspect I havent made up my mind.

Thanks for the info

Yeah, trainings going to be a bitch. Cant wait for HALO
Old 05-05-2006, 05:20 PM
V8Cody
3rd Gear Member

I would totally go with a Mach 1 and then TT that.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:28 AM
Tunerdude

I was debating on the Machs as well. There are just too many good choices in this family. I know a guy who has an 03 mach 1 procharged and its pretty mean. That car has kinda inspired all this.

I was also thinking of the 99-00 saleens. They are poppin up in the 15-17000 range.