SVT Forums

Need quick answer...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 11:30 PM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

Default Need quick answer...

Question.. I found this for sale.. Will this work on my 99 Cobra.. It came off of a 03..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...spagenameZWDVW

I would contact my tech but this sale ends on Sunday and the shop is closed till Monday.. If you truly know about his item please post.. I'd hate to buy something that won't fit..

Also, when adding a SC like this do you need anything else like a fuel pump, ect, ect? Or, does this have everthing I could possibly need?

Thanks a bunch..
Old 05-06-2006, 12:11 PM
mg01svt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Need quick answer...

Well, technically it will work, BUT you will need a ton more parts than just the Blower and intercooler. To name just a few you will need: intercooler pump and resovoir(SP?), sencondary serpentine belt system & 03 cobra timing cover, heat exchanger, 03 cobra altenator bracket, and on and on. Alot of these parts are hard to find used and therefore you would have to get from a dealer. You would more than likely spend considerably more to do this than if you just went out and bought a centrifugal like a Vortech or Pro Charger.

Again, the aforementioned parts are just the tip of the iceberg.

Either way, good luck

A
Old 05-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

Thanks MG...

I just got a hold of my tech.. He said pretty much exactly what you stated.. I guess I just need to stop being cheap and spend the money.. I'm one for saying you get what you pay for and here I am trying to break that rule..

From my understanding Vortech makes a nice charger but Prochargers are more friendly to install and have good perfrormance.. Guess I just have to spend the $4k..

On that note, do you think the average n00b could install a procharger? Would I have to configure lots of parts or could I install it and tweak it over time.. Like adding additional mods to make it run better? Guess my question is can I get a procharger and will it have everything I need out of the box?

Thanks again..
Old 05-07-2006, 01:38 AM
HaV
5th Gear Member

Its really not that bad to install a blower thats pre fabricated.. I havent done it on a stang yet though.. but yeah.
If you can install a fuel pump, fuel injectors, and you can put on and take off a belt then you should be able to install a supercharger... the rest is just mounting and bolting in the piping.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:05 PM
mg01svt
1st Gear Member

No problem Twig, I think you could install one yourself. Do you have a decent mechanical aptitude? Fuel system upgrades will be necessary. Will this car see many hard launches either street or strip? If so, you will definitely want to upgrade the IRS. With your new found power level wheel hop will destroy your IRS quickly. Halfshafts, bushings, diff brace and on and on. Our cars are Money pits.

The following site will show a nice variety of SC's for our cars. Just click on the ones with a Ford link. You can find better prices, but the site is useful as a reference.

http://www.superchargersonline.com/superchargers.asp

When I had my 01 Cobra I had alot of friends that have went this route with great success. Just remember your rods and pistons. Dont get greedy with the HP's

Aaron
Old 05-07-2006, 07:21 PM
RR03Cobra
1st Gear Member

I have a friend with a 99 cobra that has a Vortech SQ kit. He is running 9-10 lbs of boost on a stock block. He has LT heards, full Bassani exhaust and the Vortech aftercooler kit. His car laid down 466 rwhp. That's pretty impressive. If you have good mechanical skills and aptitude, you can put the kit on. My pal and I installed a Procharger kit on an 01 GT. It took us two days to finish everything. That included the MAF, injectors, fuel pump, supercharger brackets and piping, air to air heat exchanger, and the custom chip for the pcm. This was our first without a professional mechanic to help. It's not bad, just take your time!