SVT Forums

clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 12:11 PM
CoBrAbRaT
1st Gear Member

Default clutch

I just bought an 01 SVT. The clutch is going to go, i think. I cant make a smooth engagement from first to second. I can push the lever into second no problem, but when i release the clutch pedal, it jerks a couple of times. I have tried higher rpms, lower rpms, less gas pedal,more gas pedal, but cant get a smooth engagement.

Is this a hard clutch to change? I would like to do it myself. Can anyone tell me what manual I should buy?? Is the Ford manual the best? Also, what clutch and flywheel is the best to replace the stock one with? The car has 35000 miles on it.

Steve
Old 05-15-2006, 01:56 PM
mg01svt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: clutch

Clutch replacement is not hard, but it is best not to tackle it alone. If you've done a mustang clutch at all before, then it is pretty much the same. I have a 2001 ford manual on CD that I use. They can be had pretty cheap on Ebay. Shop manuals are very pricey, but very detailed as well. You could definitely do the job with a Haynes or Chilton also.

Is the car modded? and have you tried adjusting the clutch yet. If the car still has the factory clutch quadrant try that first just to be sure. Unless the car has been driven pretty hard the stock clutch should still be good. 35000 miles is pretty low for an 01.

Anyway, if adjusting does not work, then I would choose a clutch based on your intentions with the car. Lots of road course or drag racing? Power adder, new motor, etc. Then I would get a Centerforce dual puck, RAM, DFX or something along those lines. If you just want to enjoy the car and tool around on weekends or an occasional track event, then I would not be scared to put another stocker in there. Most would argue though, if you are going to make the change, then you might as well upgrade it.

Aaron
Old 05-15-2006, 04:56 PM
CoBrAbRaT
1st Gear Member

the car is bone stock. My short term plans are cold air kit, chip, and catback. The previous owner was an older female (at the end of her mid life crisis I suppose) LOL and she probably wasn't too intuitive in terms of how to make a clutch last. I tried the adjustment and no better.

My stye of driving is mainly street with spurts of low end blasts and the occasional top end. My thoughts were that if im bolting on cat backs, maybe I should do clutch while the pipes are off. I have done a couple of clutches on older crap... a Pinto LOL and a Chevy Nova.(please forgive me for saying so)

I'll check out manuals. I want to do it right the first time, and probably wont do another OE clutch. What about flywheel? Can I replace the stock one with like an aluminum one? If so, what about the size? Can I change the flywheel for more hp?

Also, I know nothing about quadrant stuff. Is there something in this area I should change while Im at it? I have seen some quadrant items on websites, but dont really know what their benifit is.

Sorry for all the questions.

STeve
Old 05-16-2006, 12:13 AM
mg01svt
1st Gear Member

Your stock FW is a 10.5" and steel. You can switch to an 11.0" with like sized clutch of course.

Benefit of aluminum over steel is quicker revs from less rotational mass. So in a road course situation you can keep the revs up. Steel bacause it has more mass will disipate heat faster and you can launch harder because of a greater inertia with the heavier FW. I have never seen a before and after dyno with different FW's so I would not guarantee more HP's. You would figure though with less parasitic drivetrain loss it would have to give you a little more up top. Cost vs benefit I guess.

As for clutch quadrant gear, I would go with a Fiore firewall adjuster and their quick release quadrant. Good quality products. The benefit here is greater adjustability include pedal height and stock can start to wear out. These will not. When and if you do this make sure you leave a little play when you do this so you dont wear out your Throw out bearing (TOB). Oh yeah replace that as well while you are doing the clutch. TOB's are in the clutch link below.

Here are some links:

Firewall and Quadrant:

http://www.lethalperformance.com/pag...drant-kit.html

Flywheels:

http://www.lethalperformance.com/pag...flywheels.html

Clutches:

http://www.lethalperformance.com/pag...-clutches.html

Please note you can probably find better prices, but these guys go above and beyond when it comes to customer service. Something I value greatly. So shop around if you like.

happy to help

Aaron