SVT Forums

1994 Cobra Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 01:02 PM
Fatalvenom1377

Default 1994 Cobra Questions

I currently own a 95 Stang w/ a 306, however I am purchasing a 1994 Cobra that is Torch Red with Tan interior. The car is owned by an older gentleman who also has a number of classic cars, so it's a very well taken care of car. It is also unmolested, right down to the intake silencer!!

My question is really a simple one to those of you who own a 94-95 Cobra. I know all about the basics like engine differences, outter appearance, airbag cover, and 160mph gauges. I just want to know the following:

1) Does the Cobra have a T-5 Tranny
2) Does it have power-adjustable side bolsters in the seats, i.e. SHO and Lightning
3) Are the rear-end gears 3:55.1
4) Other than being stiffer, does the suspension have different geometry than the GT
5) Is there anything under the car that requires specific exhaust (I want to use my MAC Long-Tubes, H-Pipe, and Pro-Dumps from my 306)
6) Ideal lowering height
7) Forged Pistons or any other forged interanls.

The owner should be bringing the car from NC to Florida sometime next week ::crosses fingers:: and I will hopefully have my long awaited Cobra.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:18 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 1994 Cobra Questions

ORIGINAL: Fatalvenom1377

I currently own a 95 Stang w/ a 306, however I am purchasing a 1994 Cobra that is Torch Red with Tan interior. The car is owned by an older gentleman who also has a number of classic cars, so it's a very well taken care of car. It is also unmolested, right down to the intake silencer!!

My question is really a simple one to those of you who own a 94-95 Cobra. I know all about the basics like engine differences, outter appearance, airbag cover, and 160mph gauges. I just want to know the following:

2) Does it have power-adjustable side bolsters in the seats, i.e. SHO and Lightning
4) Other than being stiffer, does the suspension have different geometry than the GT
5) Is there anything under the car that requires specific exhaust (I want to use my MAC Long-Tubes, H-Pipe, and Pro-Dumps from my 306)
6) Ideal lowering height

The owner should be bringing the car from NC to Florida sometime next week ::crosses fingers:: and I will hopefully have my long awaited Cobra.
1: yes
2: Dont know...
3: No.. I know in the 96+ its 3.27 but they have the T45.. I think it might only be even higher then that..... somewhere between 2.73 - 3.27's.. someone else will probably know for sure.
4: Nope. from 79-04 (other then the IRS cobra's), all the suspension pieces were pretty much interchangable. Just an example, the control arms off a 79 fox will fit on a 97 cobra or an 04 GT..
5: Not on the 5.0's, the block sits the same and the transmisson is identical.. the heads on the 4.6 cobra's caused clearance issues is why they had to do some modifications
6: I think 2".. anything over that you will be putting on C&C plates.. it might only be 1.75" before you hit that point.
7: Not sure on the 5.0.. pretty sure they are the hypertuneic pistons (and no, I cannot spell), that are pretty crappy.. and I dont beleve it comes with a forged block either.. could be wrong, all my experience are with the 4.6 version of the SN cobra's..
Old 08-09-2006, 10:14 PM
7arpad7
2nd Gear Member

I found this site with the specs for the 95... should help you. http://www.austinsvt.com/cobra/9395data.html

As far as lowering the car, I would go with the Eibach ProKit. That will lower the car just right. If you go with the Sportline (full 2" lowering springs), you will have to worry about bottoming out the car on speed bumps and such. I have both of them myself and can't say that I have had any other bad side effects from either (other than the aformentioned), but with any lowing kit you should install the caster/camber plates... my 2" lowered cobra has the adjustment maxed out in order to bring the geometry back to near stock specs... Oh, and make sure to install a good bumpsteer kit as well as getting shocks and struts made for the lower stance... While you are at that, you might as well upgrade your rear lower control arms...
Old 08-10-2006, 01:36 AM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fatalvenom1377
6) Ideal lowering height
1) Dunno
2) Who cares.. Its got a Cobra motor
3) Might be, but you'll probably be swapping them for 4.10s anyways so who cars what they are right now
4) Whoa, using words like 'geometry' will only get your a$$ kicked around here
5) I dunno but once you pull everything off and the stuff you want to use doesn't work then you got your answer
6) Hey man, the lower the better.. Drop that bish 6 inches
7) Got me but I ate at Taco Bell today and I've got some forged internals goin right now

Hope it helps [sm=smiley20.gif]