SVT Forums

Cobra questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 01:57 PM
boltonGSR

Default RE: Cobra questions

Thanks for all the intelligent and mature replies.. Im not gonna miss asking questions on the immature honda boards and risking getting flamed 50 percent of the time haha...

Oh and, im no fool.. I waited nearly 2 years for my first car.. And it was worth it.. VTEC,Only 50k miles, one owner (an old man), and most importantly unmoddedUNRICED!!

And btw thats a $500 exhaust not just a loud ricer ebay exhaust, i HATE the image these cars have by the idiots out there that screw 'em up, they are miscoceived when in reality they are actually really refined sports cars..

Any how, yeah... Ill probably keep looking for as long as it takes and saving up in the meanwhile... hell i saved up 3500 bucks when i was 18!! I may even end up with 7 or 8 grand for the cobe..

And my hands will be full with the 390 ft pounds, ive never driven a carso powerful.. so after a few solid months of parking lot autocross and ill probably upgrade.. Im thinking off the bat, ill get I/H/E and a pully upgrade 8 psi... Im assuming they are 6 stock..

Oh and ive driven an Fbody with a LS1.. I could NOT stand it, they are soooo rickity and uncomfortable.. Felt like i was sitting on an exercise machine and shifting a stick through almost hardened concrete!! And it only had 59k miles!So yeah, i know what you mean there.. Not to mention all the f bodys i noticed as a valet that were fallling apart after 4 damn years!

I sure hope they do good with 09 camaro, damn gms..

Is the redline on these cars 7 grand?

Oh and thanks a lot for that webpage of FAQ on the cobe... what in the world is that nasty tick? Is that valvetrain chatter???
Old 09-02-2007, 05:56 AM
CobraBob
2nd Gear Member

The stock pulley makes about9 lb. of boost. Here's a link to a pulley boost chart on my website to give you a rough comparison between the different upper and lower pulley boost numbers. Bear in mind that the actual boost will depend on your actual configuration. http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/2...m#_Toc35092361
Old 09-02-2007, 02:05 PM
boltonGSR

Yeah, thats a really good site... Why isnt it stickied??

Wow, its already at 9 pounds? From waht ive read when looking up the eaton for my integra a couple years back is these blowers are really ineficient above 10 pounds.. but that was the m62 blower...

Also from what i read the max rpm of these is 14,000 rpm but thats not a reliabilty max, but an efficiency max?

Is there a way i canachieve that nice blower whine without actually upgrading the pully?
Old 09-02-2007, 05:26 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

an open intake will let that blower whine out a little bit... but with a smaller pulley it will be really screamin... im 22 and i pay 1200 a month for insurance (new policy) and i live in tampa which is considering a big risk city...

It's a lot of car... I have had a few problems but most of mine are self inflicted [8D].. the only thing that hasnt was the a/c compressor that's going out now... lol - damn fords..
Old 09-02-2007, 05:39 PM
562cobra
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

an open intake will let that blower whine out a little bit... but with a smaller pulley it will be really screamin... im 22 and i pay 1200 a month for insurance (new policy) and i live in tampa which is considering a big risk city...

It's a lot of car... I have had a few problems but most of mine are self inflicted [8D].. the only thing that hasnt was the a/c compressor that's going out now... lol - damn fords..
i thought you said you paid around 120 a month. did it go up or did u mistakenly add a zero. well im 19 and im paying 220 a month for three cars including the cobra. other two are liability.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:25 PM
boltonGSR

Yeah, wow... 1200 a month!! I wouldnt expect that price for anything less than a damn Bugatti Veyron itself!!

If i couldnt find a cobra what other cars are comparable in price and performance?

I already thought of a 350Z cause they are RWD withanice big V6 and not to mention japanese build quality but i really want something raw, and evil haha.. Cobra fits that so nicely...

I really wanna experiment with something other than a jap car.. while retaining at least some build quality.. I.E. no fbodys haha...
Old 09-02-2007, 10:42 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Sorry.. I meant 1200 every 6 months... lol... I pay about 220 a month... not 120. Sorry, lol
Old 09-02-2007, 11:14 PM
Trainman
2nd Gear Member

Mine I picked up for 23,500 bone stock from the orginal owner with 20,000 miles, just what I wanted. I pay $428 a month car payment and $70 for insurance a month. I'm a little older than some of the other guys, 27 married and have other cars and my home though the same insurance company,so that was a huge help. Good luck!
Old 09-03-2007, 01:55 AM
boltonGSR

Wow! 70 dollars a month!! So a wife can servea purpose haha.. jk..

Actually i was quite suprised by 562cobra... only 220 a month for 2 cars and a cobra wow... Guess it depends on a lot of factors.. Im 22 and have never wrecked (knock on wood) im a cautios driver..

Im started to think i can have a cobra AND a a lil purpose built race honda for scca sanctioned events.. hondas are sooo cheap to race..

One thing that keeps worrying me is the domestic reliability.. i mean, my first car was a domestic and DAMN talk about fitting the stereotype.. Break downs every few months.. major ones.. What is the general consensus toward cobra reliability??

Is there any kind of powertrain warranty with these?

Old 09-03-2007, 10:01 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

not really to be honest. I can tell you that I personally have had a couple of things cause it to go down. But nothing major. But to be honest with the exception of the a/c compressor going out right now - everything that's broken was self inflicted. If your running modest boost levels and ~500rwhp you really shouldn't have much problems if any... even over 500rwhp most things will still go wrong.... just so you know, this is what i've had to replace.

Clutch (TOB busted while racing a 5.0)
Idler pulley (pulley broke while racing a porsche)
A/C Compress - i dunno, lol
Exhaust leaks (random) - from aftermarket pipe - it's now fitted with a sleeve to stop that from happening.

As you can see, I busted a couple things with a high power level and racing, lol... so......

Quick Reply: Cobra questions