SVT Forums

Cobra questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 02:25 PM
boltonGSR

Default Cobra questions

Im about to join the air force and know once i get in gonna have some money andim gonna be ready for a real sports car, i currently own an integra pretty heavily modded that i use for autocrossing (non riced btw)

Well, i have some questions about the cobe..

1. How is their reliability?
2. Gas mileage?
3. Average monthly payment for a 22 year old?

Also, how likely am i to find one unmodded with under 30k miles because im only interested in the 03 and 04s..

I have more questions, but have to go right now... Im dead set on getting this car though, when im set on something i usually achieve it..

Old 08-30-2007, 03:34 PM
Ellik
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Cobra questions

1. Good
2. Bad
3. INSANE
Old 08-30-2007, 04:45 PM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

dont listen to that guy
i bought my cobra when i was 21 the reliability is pretty good, i have not had mine in for anything at except to replace a differential cover that i cracked while racing at the track. the gas mileage is not all that bad i make over 500 hp to the wheels and if i am on the highway driving it nicely i can see over 20 to the gallon. the payment is a bit high. mine is around 450 a month but as long as you can afford it by all means do it. insurance is also a bit expensive at around 200 a month.

there are a few out there that are un modded you just have to look around a bit.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:57 PM
boltonGSR

Thanks for that reply.. Yeah 450 a month i can definately afford, and im assuming the 200 is full coverage...

Well... i plan to sell my integra which is in GREAT condition for 10 years old..ONLY 80k miles andits worth at least 6 grand.Its good to be a certified mechanic

So i plan to put about 4 grand down and the rest of the money ill probably spend on a nice full exhaust, nothing but top of the line products ever touch my cars... Id probably go with a nice basani on my cobe... anyhow would that down payment knock my payments down?

So for a 4 year old cobra with low miles unmolested i should expect to pay what.. 21 grand? Sound about right, just off the top of my head...
Old 08-30-2007, 10:53 PM
massmustang02
3rd Gear Member

IMO the car payment's a little on the high side but the insurance is halfway decent. I was expecting you to say something rediculous like $400 a month because I've heard before that the insurance companies know its a Cobra so they charge more because of what the car is.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:33 PM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

they charged me alot more than what a gt would have cost me, yes it is full coverage but every insurance company is different. I would expect to pay closer to 24k for a stock cobra with low mileage. just to give you an idea i got mine for 24999 + TTL and i put 5 k down on it and my payment is 459 a month, my interest rate is a bit high though. you never know though you may find a deal, i have heard of some people getting some good buys lately, depends on what the market is like in your area i guess.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:00 AM
boltonGSR

I know these cars have IRS which makes them IMO a true sports car along with atheDOHCbecause of the added refinement... How is the handling aspect of these cars?

Also, is there any kind of factory warranty?
Old 08-31-2007, 12:12 AM
Martel
2nd Gear Member

The emissions warranty should still be valid on an 03 04. Not sure 'bout anything else.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:46 AM
Ellik
2nd Gear Member

When I bought my Cobra, it was between this car and an '01 WS6. The Cobra handled and rode 10x better.

When you asked about payments for 22yo, I assumed you meant insurance. The Cobra is going to be more expensive to insure than pretty much anything remotely close in its class/value. Shop around, but if you can insure it for $200 a month I would guess your getting a deal.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:14 PM
CobraBob
2nd Gear Member

I've been driving performance cars for 40 years. My 2003 Cobra was the best car I ever owned. Never gave me a bit of trouble, and that was with the "basic" mods to bump it up to 504rwhp. It was a blast to drive, but you do have to respect the power. They are IMO very reliable if you keep the boost under 15 lbs. and go with a "safe" tune vs. a more aggressive race tune. If you buy a stock Terminator, or one that has the stock blower pulley and stock tune, and only plan on adding exhaust and intake mods, you should have years of relatively troublefree use. Of course that assumes that the car you buy hasn't been abused or heavily modified and then de-modded. Do your homework when looking for your car and you're less apt to make a mistake you might regret.

I have some information on my website relative to buying a used '03/'04 Cobra that might help you. Here's the link. http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/2...m#_Toc35092330

Quick Reply: Cobra questions