SVT Forums

Cobras Suck !

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: Cobras Suck !

You are looking at it from a financial point of view.

I could go buy a 500 dollar Fox LX and spend 6500 on a drivetrain to absolutely mop the floor.

The MAJOR advantage to the 03/04 Cobra is that the BASE is already IN place. The forged internals & the bulletproof T-56. Unfortunately, not everyone has the time, patience or confidence to invest into a shop doing such a MAJOR overhaul. I don't have the patience for troubleshooting heavy modifications. I don't have the time to drive my car back and forth to a tuner.

Hawk never asked anything financially. BTW, you can get an 03/04 Cobra for less than a new Mustang GT right now. He never mentioned anything about acquiring a 2v GT either...

I was in my GT for 16,500. Figure 5k for a strong motor, 3.5k for a strong transmission including labor, plus 3.5k for a supercharger not including installation & a tune. $1500 for suspension modifications & installation. All for an unproven drivetrain that would likely have quirky issues that would need troubleshooting. Without a performance shop thats just a happy hop skip & jump away, it could be a very long & tedious process.

For me, it made sense to buy a car with a bulletproof drivetrain that is proven, covered under warranty & will always have a good value on the market. These kind of modifications on a GT would never be recovered if you were to attempt selling it unless you were willing to sit on it for a longggggggg time.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:24 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

i was just saying financially mods are moda and cost money, so anytime your mention them money is an issue. if i wanted to mop anything on the streets, i would buy a notch lx (lightest of the foxes) get a 460 stroke it to a 557 build the **** outta a c4 and TT it, and you easily looking 900rwhp+. all for under 15k. and it would be 8 sec street car.

you can get an 03/04 Cobra for less than a new Mustang GT right now
im pretty sure they're the same on price...25-30k for cobra 07-08 gt = 26-33k
Old 11-15-2007, 10:52 AM
mfj
Banned

dan04cobra is absolutely correct on this one. +1 on post 21
Old 11-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Hawkdriver23

I totaly agree guys. I don't want it as a sit in the shop/garage project car. I want a great performing car as a dependable daily driver. But something I can build on without having to buy or rent another vehicle.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:57 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

i rebuilt my 67 stang in 30 days, it can be a DD, but its not cuz of the classic nature. Down to the frame and back up. 10hours a day after getting off my other job 8hrs a day. right now i am building the car i mention earlier, well without the TT, N/A its gonna be about 750+. you could do whatever as long as its in stages right? i do agree with the statement on find a trustworthy shop. i cant find any around me so i learned to do it all. As for tuning i'll tailor the **** 2 hrs away to get it done right, i would go 1k miles to get it done right.
so something liek
buy 96 cobra 13k
buy exhaust i dunno 1k ( i can run straight pipes)
buy SCT tuner 400
buy gears
you know something like that. and if a shop can get that kinda work done in a day they blow. and need to die. if me a poor *** redneck can pull a motor strip it clean it and have the small block assembled in 1 day and they cant they ned to look at who they hire.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:06 PM
iraziel
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

You are looking at it from a financial point of view.

I could go buy a 500 dollar Fox LX and spend 6500 on a drivetrain to absolutely mop the floor.

The MAJOR advantage to the 03/04 Cobra is that the BASE is already IN place. The forged internals & the bulletproof T-56. Unfortunately, not everyone has the time, patience or confidence to invest into a shop doing such a MAJOR overhaul. I don't have the patience for troubleshooting heavy modifications. I don't have the time to drive my car back and forth to a tuner.

Hawk never asked anything financially. BTW, you can get an 03/04 Cobra for less than a new Mustang GT right now. He never mentioned anything about acquiring a 2v GT either...

I was in my GT for 16,500. Figure 5k for a strong motor, 3.5k for a strong transmission including labor, plus 3.5k for a supercharger not including installation & a tune. $1500 for suspension modifications & installation. All for an unproven drivetrain that would likely have quirky issues that would need troubleshooting. Without a performance shop thats just a happy hop skip & jump away, it could be a very long & tedious process.

For me, it made sense to buy a car with a bulletproof drivetrain that is proven, covered under warranty & will always have a good value on the market. These kind of modifications on a GT would never be recovered if you were to attempt selling it unless you were willing to sit on it for a longggggggg time.
OK, i see it from that aspect.

I was comparing the new edge because Hawk mentioned comparing it to his 04 GT.

And the main reason i looked at it financially, cause most who i see/hear brag on Cobra an down on GT is because of power and handling, which is why i was like why not just take the money you didnt spend and dump it into the GT to how you want it.
I have my doubts on that "bulletproof" drivetrain tho....
Thanks Dan,
(for not kickin me nuts about this[8D])
Old 11-15-2007, 01:26 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

I agree with everything you said. Your ideas are good for someone who is looking for an older car to do whatever the hell they want with it and don't have a problem overhauling the car, which obviously is a more involved, definitely more fun but it's very time consuming and unless you are doing the work yourself...you need to feel comfortable in the abilities of the installers.

As for the questionable bulletproof drivetrain, the only questionable part is the IRS, which if you get a brace at the very least with a set of good tires...the IRS will hold up at the drag strip as long as the stock 8.8.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:03 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

so this was /is his DD and he wants more power right?.....is it that hard to upgrade the 4.6's?
Old 11-15-2007, 10:00 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

USM, it's not that hard to modify 4.6's.

The 2v 4.6 does not respond well to modifications without forced induction. It's a different story for 3v's & 4v's.

But if you are talking about how labor intensive it is to modify a 4.6, obviously it's a bit more complicated and confusing than a push-rod motor, but if you can hold a wrench and can think outside the box, it's not that difficult to work on one.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:39 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

ok, well i learned something

Quick Reply: Cobras Suck !