SVT Forums

Cobras Suck !

Old 11-14-2007, 08:36 AM
Hawkdriver23

Default Cobras Suck !

Just Kidding Guys.I thought that might get someones attention. Moving on, I am not new to the forum but I have posted very few threads. I'm that guy that just reads everyone else's stuff. The question I have for you today is regarding the Terminator and the S197 GT. I understand the power potential of the Cobra w/ the forged internals is almost limitless. But with all the praises from owners of the S197 about the improvements over the new edge, I find myself considering the new look. It seems like (correct me if Im wrong) that 425-460 hp is the limit on the new 3 valve before grenading the motor. I'm not sure how dependabe that would be, but this car is going to be a daily driver for a little while. So is the S197 as a whole improved enough to outweigh the performace of the Terminator? I would also like to know what the Cobra "feels" like compared to my 04 GT aside from the huge power difference. So any oppinions you might have, especially from anyone that has experience driving both will be greatly appreciated. I am in the desert for another 9 months so this won't be an overnight decision. Thanks again.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:10 AM
Ahnial8u
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Cobras Suck !

I have never drove the S197 though I'm sure it's a great platform with potential.
Come on now it's a TERMI that alone should be enough and if not then while you own a 03-04 Cobra this is the best performing mustang put out to date from the factory. Find either one and take it for a spin and see what you think.Though I am bias and am thinking merely off of a performance standpiont I think that an 04 cobra and 05Mustang should be comprable models. Good luck with what ever you decide.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

The 03/04 with the IRS still handles and rides better.

The S197 is QUITE a bit more comfortable. However, speaking from a base standpoint. The 03/04 has all the potential in the world with it's setup from the factory. Whereas the S197 has limitations on it's motor & transmission. It's not a huge deal, but it's quite an expensive investment..

The difference from the 04 GT to a Terminator is like this... It'll be like going from riding a BMX bicycle to getting in your 04 GT. You'll giggle like a little girl and then you might feel a little embarassed you ever tried making your GT quicker.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:40 AM
mfj
Banned

the s197 feels a lot bigger than the new gt. it feels heavier. terminators handle soo much better than the s197 GT's. i would never in my life take an s197 over a termy.

those 3v engines can take about as much power as the 2v's do. not really alot more....
Old 11-14-2007, 10:59 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

The 03/04 with the IRS still handles and rides better.

The S197 is QUITE a bit more comfortable. However, speaking from a base standpoint. The 03/04 has all the potential in the world with it's setup from the factory. Whereas the S197 has limitations on it's motor & transmission. It's not a huge deal, but it's quite an expensive investment..

The difference from the 04 GT to a Terminator is like this... It'll be like going from riding a BMX bicycle to getting in your 04 GT. You'll giggle like a little girl and then you might feel a little embarassed you ever tried making your GT quicker.
Hahah, ain't that the truth!
Old 11-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Hawkdriver23

YeahI know there is a world of difference in the power, but had no Idea what the car drove like. My GT leaves much to be desired in the handling a ride department...would expect better performance out of something this rough.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

I remember test driving my Cobra, I asked the salesman if I could get on it (we were on a 4 lane highway) and he said if you want to buy it. Sure enough I dropped to 2nd gear and powershifted my way into 3rd and into 4th. I put the car in neutral and rode the brakes looking for vibrations, just laughing my head off. I couldn't BELIEVE the difference. Take your GT and literally DOUBLE the feeling of power it has, thats what it's like to get into a Terminator.

The whole way home I thought about the money I threw at my 02 GT and wanted to get sick, but I didn't want to barf all over in the Terminators nice clean interior. So I just waited until I got home to vomit everywhere.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:05 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

BTW, the IRS really softens the feel of the ride. The car is MUCH more predictable when you hit the throttle and the ride quality is nothing like the GT, it's not even similar.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:07 AM
Ellik
2nd Gear Member

I test-drove a S197 recently and was completely disappointed. Hated the feel, hated the handling. Power felt 'close' to my '01 Cobra, but definately wasnt any better. The only thing I liked about it was the heated seats. and this is comparing it to a N/A New Edge Cobra. A termy isnt even comparable.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Hawkdriver23

Thats good to hear. No way I'd buy one if it felt like the GT. That was one of the main reasons I was evenconsidering the S197, everyone says it drives so much better than the new edge stangs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cobras Suck !