SVT Forums

03 Cobra Loud Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 03:21 PM
giddyup91
1st Gear Member

Default 03 Cobra Loud Ticking Noise

last night I was ridin in the cobra when out of the blue it started to have a little tic in it. I pulled over and at 1st I thought it was a lifter but as I followed the noise around I think it is in the bottom end. Because the noise is a lot louder under the car than from the top. I know its hard to tell what it is untill you get in it, but does anyone know what it could be? I guess I also need to find someone to look at the car in the Middle TN area. Any Ideas? It sounds just like this car.[/align][/align][/align]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI34u...eature=related[/align][/align]
Old 12-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 03 Cobra Loud Ticking Noise

thats exactly how mine was, it was blown out rings in cylinder 7. is the clicking louder on rev down just like the video? if so thats what i had. try putting on the e-brake as hard as you can and put the car in 1st gear and let the clutchout while pushing on the gas to pt a load on the motor. if the sound goes away at least mostly it is definitly bottom end and you are in the same boat as me.

have you done any high speed runs or agressive driving shortly before you noticed the sound? within a day or 2 i would guess.. it is not a fun fix, pull motor replace all pistons and rings and have the block bored over. about 4-5k depending on where you have it done and what replacement parts you use. good luck. but if it sounds like that, that would be my guess.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:40 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

My 98 made a similar noise, I kept driving it for about a week...I already knew it was done for.. the last day it would barely idle and shook the car when it was running. Misfired its ***** off. I just swapped in a brand new crate motor from Ford.. 3916$ later..
Old 12-10-2007, 11:57 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WhiteFoxGT

My 98 made a similar noise, I kept driving it for about a week...I already knew it was done for.. the last day it would barely idle and shook the car when it was running. Misfired its ***** off. I just swapped in a brand new crate motor from Ford.. 3916$ later..
+1
Old 12-11-2007, 07:42 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

No, doesn't sound like rings. Broken rings would give you tons of problems and wouldn't be quite exact, more spiratic. Sounds like the notorious head tick of the cobra's. Have you had the engine super hot lately? Could be worn valve guides from overheating or lack of lubrication. The newer style motors have such close tolerances that it's hard to get the oil in there especially if you run a heavier weight when it's colder. Cam ticks usually happen simultaneaously. The sound seems apparent from both sides.
My car makes a ticking sound that is more apparent under the car and when I drive by parked cars, but I got my stethescope out and it's the furthest valve on the passenger side closest to the firewall. I know for a fact it's not the cam as the roller and lobes looked to be in great condiditon when I pulled the valve covers off to change the gaskets. I would say get a super long screw driver and hold it to each of the bolts on the valve cover (grasp it like you plan on stabbing somebody with your pointer finger and thumb to the edge and place your ear up to it) This is a backyard stethescope. You should be able to eliminate bottom end if you can get under the car and do the same to a few of the oil pan bolts. Cast iron does not transmit sound like aluminum does. Alum. is far louder and that's why I saythe problem liesin your heads!
Old 12-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

the head tick comes for the top side of the motor, my car sounded exactly like whaat he describes and the car in the video and guess what. what do you know it was rings blown in cylinder 7. i didn't just pull that out of my *** dude.

get a compression check and you will kknow for sure if that is what it is.

just so you know we did the home made stethliscope test on mine and you would swear it was the top end because you could hear the ticking when you toched it to the bolt over #7 but it turned out to be bottom end.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:07 AM
bugpack28
2nd Gear Member

Good plan go run the compression test its pretty easy, and try out the stethescope then you will prob be your problem. Get ready to start taking apart your cobra... have fun!!!