SVT Forums

purchasing 03-04 cobra soon!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 10:23 PM
leftysmoke

Default purchasing 03-04 cobra soon!

hey guys, i currently have a '97 cobra that i just finished externally and i'm looking to expand my collection within the summer. i have been on eBay checking out a lot of 03-04's, as well as auto trader. eBay has a pretty vast selection and some include shipping for far distances but i have always been skeptical on that. anyways, what would be the best things to look for when purchasing a new cobra? obviously make sure it isn't beat to hell and back but beyond that. i'm not too picky on colors, i like sonic blue, mystic and black the best. also i'm trying to figure out whether to keep my '97 or sell it for some extra cash on the down payment. it has 90k on it, brand new tranny, brand new clutch, flowmaster's, upper pulleys, k&n air filter, bbk cai, brand new paint job, brand new fr500 rims, brand new tires and great internal condition. i think i could get a good 7-10k out of it depending on the person. anyways, any tips are greatly appreciated!
Old 01-21-2008, 08:36 PM
rawcobra
1st Gear Member

Default RE: purchasing 03-04 cobra soon!

you have a great looking snake there! Well in my opinion I really don't do the purchasing car deal on ebay! Reason being is because I have friend that purchased a bike. The guy who sold it to him wanted the money first! so my friend sent him the money, $5,000, then when the guy received the money...he was gon! he jipped my friend with $5,000...NOT COOL!!! I'm not saying everyone does it, but i'd go with autotrader! that's my opinion! Well what I can suggest on purchasing yourself a terminator is the mileage and of course just like you said not been through hell and back! I believe mileage has to do alot! I have an 03 Terminator and I bought it with 7,000 miles...a senior lady owned the car! check out the history of the Terminator you want so you'll know where the car has been...well hope my suggestion helps! good luck on your Terminator purchasing!
Old 01-21-2008, 09:59 PM
leftysmoke

thanks a lot rawcobra. from my experience, the legit eBayer's who sell automobiles are either dealers or people who are just looking to get rid of their car. i would never even consider giving anyone dime (unless it's a deposit) until i test drove the car and looked it over. obviously if the deal didn't work out i would be able to get my deposit refunded through paypal since that is all i use. i'll definitely take into consideration the owner when i purchase because usually if it's an older guy he would have taken better care of it engine wise. the younger kid will keep the appearance up but you know has 99.99% probably been beating it. i get what you're saying though and i appreciate the info.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:01 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I wish i bought a 04 cobrainstead of my 07 gt...But i only have 2 years left to pay on my car then i might make the switch to a 04 termi.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:04 AM
JayDs Ibanez
3rd Gear Member

here is a faq by cobrabob, you should take a look at it, you won't believe how much info it has

http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/2...m#_Toc35092330
Old 01-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Noveds

Thanks JayDs and Cobrabob of course. Bob should publish a book.
Something I noticed though, something I've always wondered about, what does it matter if a car was driven in the rain? Assuming every car is built to deal with being driven in the rain and assuming your not looking for a perfect showroom specimin, do I really care if my Termi has been driven in the rain?
Old 01-31-2008, 04:27 PM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

people say that because you normally will not dry off the undercarriage when you park the car after being out in the rain. the moisture sitting there can cuase addition rust and other wear and discoloration. i would say that 90% of people that claim their cars have never seen rain are full of it though.