SVT Forums

96-98 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 11:29 AM
mfj
Banned

Default RE: 96-98 Cobra

I had NO problem whatsoever making 7000rpm shifts with my old TKO 500! In fact, gears engaged soo much easier with the TKO tranny than the t56. I just wanted that 6th gear though...

And I ragged on my TKO tranny everyday, with my 530 rwhp procharger f1-a setup. And now a friend of mine has my TKO in his 600 rwhp 96 Mystichrome single turbo Cobra...

The only thing that the TKO hates, is speed shifting without clutch, which I have yet to see any transmission like that.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Dilireus
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shifty Powers
Also Sullivan will put out an intake for our year cobra when hell freezes over!!!!! Theyv been saying it will be out "REAL SOON" for over a year and a half. Its getting old and will never happen.
From Scott Sullivan yesterday:

We are working on CAD. Progress is being made. Should not be too much longer before we will be able to show some Images of the intake manifold.
Our intake manifold does not make use of the factory IMRC plates, the intake manifold bolts directly to the cylinder heads.

Scott Sullivan
Why would he lie about producing an intake for our cars? It's just taking longer than they anticipated. That happens. They conducted dyno testing on a prototype model and the results were impressive (60 hp gain over a stock 96-98 intake on a mild N/A engine).
Old 07-19-2008, 08:18 PM
Shifty Powers
3rd Gear Member

hopefully it will be done sometime within the next year then.. lol, wonder how much itl even cost
Old 07-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Shifty Powers
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mfj

I had NO problem whatsoever making 7000rpm shifts with my old TKO 500! In fact, gears engaged soo much easier with the TKO tranny than the t56. I just wanted that 6th gear though...

And I ragged on my TKO tranny everyday, with my 530 rwhp procharger f1-a setup. And now a friend of mine has my TKO in his 600 rwhp 96 Mystichrome single turbo Cobra...

The only thing that the TKO hates, is speed shifting without clutch, which I have yet to see any transmission like that.
then i could be wrong, im sorry if i am, but i know at least the TKO600 only shifts to a certain RPM i am unsure of the exact RPM. Also do not get me wrong! they are great trannys. So excuse me for my misuse of some information
Old 07-19-2008, 10:35 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

hopefully it will be done sometime within the next year then.. lol, wonder how much itl even cost
i would like to know also, any 1 hear a price range on this?
Old 07-20-2008, 08:38 AM
Dilireus
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SVTeeshirt

i would like to know also, any 1 hear a price range on this?
Quoting Scott again:

Pricing will not be set until the tooling is complete and the foundry can give us an accurate cost on the indivdual castings needed for a complete intake manifold.
We do not expect the cost of this intake to reach 1500.00
On the dyno testing that was done:

The engine as tested was a 4.6L bored .020 over. No big bore, no stroker. The compression was about 10.2: 1 (flat tops). The heads were mildly ported, mostly bowl work, nothing extravagant. Manley stock size valves with Manley springs. I do not have the cam cards in front of me but they were Crane regrinds . The LSA was 110*, lift was .474, I do not remember the duration specs but will post them as soon as I get the cam cards from the shop. They are fairly mild cams. They were installed straight up and were not degreed in. We just ran out of time. These cams were not at all optimal for the stock intake or our prototype.
Fuel was 110 octane for all tests. Timing was set with the factory intake and not changed for the duration of the tests.

I do not have the dyno graphs yet. Daniel or Craig will FTP the files to me as soon as they can, probably Monday. When I have them I will post them.

The engine made max power with the factory intake of 357 hp. I think that was at about 6200 RPM but I'm going from memory on this so it could be a couple hundred RPM off either way. I do not remember what torque was. After doing so many tests in one day the numbers start to run together.

The end result with our prototype intake after all the testing we could do that day was 417 hp at I believe, 6700 RPM. Torque was up about 25 ft. lbs but I cannot remember at what RPM that was.

The intake configuration that made that power was 16 separate 12" runners to the plenums, sixteen 19lb injectors, plenum balance pipe installed, twin throttle bodies (stock 1998 Mustang GT throttle bodies).

Besides the different runner assemblies, the biggest change we saw was for the fuel injectors. We picked up almost 20 horsepower running the twin injectors when compared to a single 42 lb injector. I guess that answers the age old question of whether or not there could be additional power from the addition of a second injector in the dry port. The 42 lb injector was shot into the square port to compare as closely to the factory configuration as possible.

It was a combination off all things that led to the huge power increase. Far superior runner design and runner entry, twin throttle bodies, twin injectors, optimized plenum volume, all of these factors contributed to the results.

We have the data we need to go to CAD. This intake is getting cast. Finally!
That was from 5/4/2008. The entire thread is http://www.modularfords .com/forums/showthread.php?t=58767. You'll have to take out the space in the link. Linking to other forums is apparently a no-no.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:34 PM
5.0carlo
2nd Gear Member

I went from a 92 LX with 3.73's, exhaust, and a few smaller things done to buying a bold on 98 cobra.

To get 300 rwhp from a fox you pretty much need a Heads, cam, Intake package along with exhaust, MAF and Throttlebody.

I dyno'd my 98 with o/r x pipe, catback, JLT cai and underdrive puliies and a diablo tune and put down 297 rwhp. Its all according to what you want.

Parts for the fox are insanely cheap, however finding a coup for cheap in good condition is going to be hard, unless you have cash in hard or good credit banks wont finance for a car that old. not to mention that most foxes these days are getting to the point where you have to replace the interior stuff, and the heatercore.

In all honesty it comes down to which YOU want more and which one you can afford. I may get another fox one day but it will only be if and when I get rid of my cobra. the 4.6 revs and runs so smooth.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:49 PM
RuffCat
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0carlo

I went from a 92 LX with 3.73's, exhaust, and a few smaller things done to buying a bold on 98 cobra.

To get 300 rwhp from a fox you pretty much need a Heads, cam, Intake package along with exhaust, MAF and Throttlebody.

I dyno'd my 98 with o/r x pipe, catback, JLT cai and underdrive puliies and a diablo tune and put down297 rwhp.
Inflated DynoJet numbers. Reality numbers (mustang dyno) are more like 270-280rwhp
Eitherway, I still like the mod motors as I have a 97 cobra with 473rwhp mustang dynoed. Super smooth Vortech powered
I will argue the fact that you can have a reliable safe very smooth 600rwhp mod motor that will idle like stock, where as a 600rwhp pushrod motor isn't a reliable everyday runner and certainly isn't smooth by anymeans.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mfj

Just to comment on the transmission, the 96s, 97s, and early 98s were equipped with a borg warner t45... These transmission are crap and will only last on a near stock power cobra. Later in 1998 SVT switched over to the tremec t45, which was much improver over it borg warner counterpart, but still lacked some needed strength...

If you want to go aftermarket, for your goals, i would personally go with a tko 500... A brand new one can be had, from tremec, for $2200, well worth it IMO... Yes, they are rated to have a torque cap of 500lbs-ft, but they have been known to take well to abuse.

If you go the nitrous route, a 100 shot will be perfectly safe, so long as you get it tuned for nitrous, and retard the timing at least 2 degrees. Also remember, with nitrous, its actually better slightly lean than slightly rich. Although with most forms of forced induction, rich is safer, with nitrous, the opposite is true. Running rich CAN cause pools of fuel to collect, which CAN result in nitrous backfires. <- very bad!
I don't know if i'd go that far but I will say that with the mods I have I did a 0-80 punch twice tonight launching at 2,400rpms shifting around 5,700 and I must say the f*er wings up there f*ing FAST and I must say I was kind of nervous about slamming the gears when I did it which is why I only did it twice. I also spun all the way through 1st gear the first time...my back tires aren't exactly cheap...[:'(] Just thought i'd throw that in there.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Shifty Powers
3rd Gear Member

t-45s are still crap.. no matter what you do.. they are still junk, specailly compared to a t-56(oooo how ide love a viperspec)

Quick Reply: 96-98 Cobra