SVT Forums

Cobra SVT???????

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Black*Death
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Cobra SVT???????

ORIGINAL: Shifty Powers

there was also no cobra made in 00.. except the specail CobraR in which only 300 specail order ones were made.

Also it did just say "SVT" on trunks for all years... I dont remember EVER seeing "SVT Cobra" badge on a trunk..Could be wrong, but i unno..

Also correct, no year was supercharged except 03/04.
My 99 does say SVT Cobra, I just wish I had the COBRA on the rear bumper and not boring "Mustang"

Something sounds "suspect" about this "02" Cobra. get a Carfax and make sure not a rebadged 02 GT or something
Old 07-24-2008, 06:21 PM
mfj
Banned

ORIGINAL: Black*Death

there was also no cobra made in 00.. except the specail CobraR in which only 300 specail order ones were made.

Also it did just say "SVT" on trunks for all years... I dont remember EVER seeing "SVT Cobra" badge on a trunk..Could be wrong, but i unno..

My 99 does say SVT Cobra, I just wish I had the COBRA on the rear bumper and not boring "Mustang"

Something sounds "suspect" about this "02" Cobra. get a Carfax and make sure not a rebadged 02 GT or something
i'll sell you my original 01 bumper for $100 plus shipping...

Its mineral grey though...
Old 07-24-2008, 06:40 PM
alexr
★★★★★

ORIGINAL: Black*Death

i hate to say it because i dont like stereotyping them, but i would be less surprised if it was a rebadged v6 than a GT.

either its an 02 GT/V6 rebadged, or an 99/01 cobra.

theres a ton of ways to tell the difference between the GT, V6, and the cobra. theres some good ways to check to see what it really is without depending on the bumpers or badging because changing a bumper or a badge is so commonly done, its not very dependable. some of the best things to look for are the size of the front rotors, (if theyre bigger than the rears, then its got 13" cobra rotors, which more than likely its a cobra. the swap for them onto GT's and even v6's is getting fairly common, but not as common as rebadging a car, etc.). if you google the cobra front bumper and it doesnt look like whats on the car, usually it wont be a cobra, but thats not the point im getting to on that. if its not a cobra front bumper, look for the fog lights. if there are no fog lights, theres a 95% chance its going to be a v6.

im assuming youre looking at a new edge (99+ since your friend thinks its an 02 cobra), so some other things to look for, is if you can see inside the car, look for SVT on the tach, look for amber in the bottom of the tail lights. (v6's, GT's, and 03/04 cobras were all red with just the white parking lights).

you can always just look here: http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/time...9-04/index.htm and study the differences between the cobras, GT's and v6's to see what to look for. this is assuming you cant see the engine. the engine is a dead give away though for obvious reasons.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:26 AM
CobraBob
2nd Gear Member

It definitely isn't an '02 Cobra since none were available in the U.S. As far as it being a cloned GT or V6, detecting this could depend on how much work was done on the conversion. If it was done "right" it will be difficult to detect it being a lookalike. The safest thing to do is to get the VIN and do a CarFax report. http://www.carfax.com/
Old 07-29-2008, 04:34 PM
03_svt_cobra_22
2nd Gear Member

google is your friend

and someone should make a sticky for cobra's like they did for the LS1's in the street strip section