SVT Forums

New SVT owner seeking help

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 06:42 AM
makriluc

Arrow New SVT owner seeking help

OK, here goes. Long story but need your help.
First I’m Canadian. So I bought this 1996 SVT (73k miles) from Florida. All I know of mods on the car is this: Transmission was changed to a 99 Tremec, which model I still don’t know yet, but the speedometer and odometer are out of whack, it reads 4.6 time to fast. Dynomax complete exhaust without cats and without O2 Sensors. There’s a SCT mod to the car (chip, tune, ECU, I don’t know).
So I flew to Fort Lauderdale to take the car and drove it all the way to upstate NY in Ogdensburg (1500 miles). I did this in two days. So with all the stops for fuel, hotels (11-15 stops), the car always started. Sometimes on the first swing of the starter, sometimes it took 4-5 sec of starting. In Ogdensburg, I had to leave the car there for 72 hrs (USA customs request). This is where the problem starts. Since then the car doesn’t start anymore. It cranks no problem but does not fire. I suspect fuel pump. Is the best way to test this is by putting a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail? If so, is the location for this fuel gauge would be on the right side of the fuel rail where there is a valve similar to a Schrader tire valve? And the test would be to put the ignition on and see if it reads 30psi?
Thanks a million
Old 10-04-2008, 08:45 PM
allandwysmuller

Before you go nuts, check to see if there is a "roll over" switch. I would guess this would be located in the right rear fender area and activates in the event of a roll or serious impact. I had a friend whose switch activated (through no apparent contact) and the car would simply die/not start. The switch is there to prevent the car from supplying fuel to a fire in the event of a collision. I have a Ford alarm system in my '96 Cobra that will prevent a start up if the unlock button hasn't been activated less than a minute from opening. If your car has the alarm simply push the unlock button on the remote keyring transmitter again just before starting. Hope this may help.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:21 PM
makriluc

Thanks allandwysmuller for your reply. You're probably talking about the inertia switch. Yes I've checked it. I know I have 6.6 volts to the pump, but the pump is not making any noise at all when the ignition switch is turned on. SO my next step is to remove the fuel pump and take a look at it.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:25 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

You're also going to have to check for spark as well...